8th Edition & BA

Charlo

A fair point. However, s5 still wounds t6-10 9 on 5's. S7 wounds t8-14 13 (idk if anything like that exists) on 5's. So grav is only worse against t5-7. So grav is more effective against heavy armored infantry (characters) and heavy tanks (leman russes/ land raiders). Plasma is better against low toughness (t3), walkers, and light tanks. So it's kind of a "whichever you like", which is great. Honestly a mix could be good.

Toughness double strength is a 6+ to wound, right?

The difference is that grav wounds T7 on a 5+ while plasma wounds it on a 4+, or a 3+ if you overcharge.

And that Grav wounds T5 only on a 4+ (*cough* Death Guard *cough*) while Plasma wounds it on 3+. ;)

Oh and vs T4 it's 3+ vs 2+ if overcharged of course.

A fair point. However, s5 still wounds t6-10 9 on 5's. S7 wounds t8-14 13 (idk if anything like that exists) on 5's. So grav is only worse against t5-7. So grav is more effective against heavy armored infantry (characters) and heavy tanks (leman russes/ land raiders). Plasma is better against low toughness (t3), walkers, and light tanks. So it's kind of a "whichever you like", which is great. Honestly a mix could be good.

Toughness double strength is a 6+ to wound, right?

The difference is that grav wounds T7 on a 5+ while plasma wounds it on a 4+, or a 3+ if you overcharge.

And that Grav wounds T5 only on a 4+ (*cough* Death Guard *cough*) while Plasma wounds it on 3+. :wink:

Oh and vs T4 it's 3+ vs 2+ if overcharged of course.

Although the D3 damage vs deathguard in power armour helps with the diseased bulk rule thing they have to ignore wounds. 

Anyone else liking the look of Shotgun Scouts this edition?

Assault 2, with +1S at half range. Coupled with the deployment rule Scouts have meansome they should have no trouble getting into half range.

EDC

I'm just glad my scout squad from Armageddon has use now.

Can Vanguard Vets and/or captains take eviscerators? Sorry I can't find any rules besides the BA rules here...

The only mention of the Eviscerators are on the Assault Squad's datasheet. It isn't on any of the melee weapons lists, so no, you can only take them on Assault Squads.

Assault 2, with +1S at half range. Coupled with the deployment rule Scouts have meansome they should have no trouble getting into half range.

EDC

EDC

My shotgun scouts have always over performed in battle. I built them wit ha view to being a veteran scout squad, I know a bit anti-fluff. It battle the have shot and assaulted Abadonns terminator guard and won. Outflanked a Carnifex and shot it off the board in a turn. Trundeled into battle in a Rhino and diembark and unleash hell. All my oponants learned to fear them! 

Edited by Darklighter

This might sound stupid but I got to ask. Do tacticals have bolt rifles AND bolt pistols by default now? They dont need to buy the pistols or have them glued on them to exist?

They come with bolt pistols and boltguns as always. Boltrifles are only available to Primaris marines and not to old marines.

This might sound stupid but I got to ask. Do tacticals have bolt rifles AND bolt pistols by default now? They dont need to buy the pistols or have them glued on them to exist?

They come with bolt pistols and boltguns as always. Boltrifles are only available to Primaris marines and not to old marines.

My mistake, I mean boltgun not rifles. They always had pistols? Hadnt noticed that.

edit : just to clarify, I'm not playing, I'm into 40k for the modeling. Excuse my ignorance :P

Edited by dread05

My mistake, I mean boltgun not rifles. They always had pistols? Hadnt noticed that.

edit : just to clarify, I'm not playing, I'm into 40k for the modeling. Excuse my ignorance :tongue.:

No worries, they have had bolt pistols as a standard sidearm since...5th ed I think?

So only for about 7 years or so :tongue.:

You generally dont have to attach all equipment to the model, aside from primary weapon. Marines with bolter, pistol, and 2 types of grenade will start looking clunky.

Even the Heavy Bolter is a nice weapon this edition :D

I always try to bring my scouts and 8th will be now different - the new rules just made them very attractive. Hopefully when we get a codex they'll buff our combat perfomance a little too.

Hmm. After much thought and much emotional roller-coastering, it seems that 'swings and roundabouts' is the best way to describe 8th Ed; you think you've gained something in one area, only to have it taken away in another. Little things, like how sergeants can now throw meltabombs, but the cost of flamers and HFs has almost doubled. 

Early early days ofc and no doubt the codex will change things, but here's my initial list. All purely theoretical, as I won't be playing anytime soon due to moving to China in a couple of months...might get a game in by the end of the year, with a bit of luck :biggrin.:

Spearhead Detachment

Captain [sir Cheesefilth Hammerfest] - Bike, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer, MC Boltgun &c [Warlord]

Primaris Lieutenant

Whirlwind  - Vengeance Launcher, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer Missile

Whirlwind - Vengeance Launcher, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer Missile

Autolas Predator - Storm Bolter, HKM

Battalion Detachment

Astorath

Corbulo

9 x Death Company. 2 Power Fists.

Tactical Squad - 5 man. Meltabombs. Flamer.

Stormraven - Twin MM, Twin Heavy Plasma, Hurricane Bolters, Stormstrikes

​Stormraven - Twin MM, Twin Heavy Plasma, Hurricane Bolters, Stormstrikes

Total 1998

7 Command Points

DC go in one Stormraven with Corbs and Asto. Tac squad in the other SR. These comprise the offensive element.

Capn' and Lieutenant sit back buffing the Whirlwinds and Autolas, with the other 2 Tac squads close by. Capn' able to zoom up and support the offensive if needed.

Obviously this is all theoretical, but the basic gist is that both elements are buffed very strongly and I've tried to give the oppo a targeting headache for T1, what with the DC being all in the transport, the tac squads out of sight or in cover, and the only available targets being high T, high W and for the flyers, harder to hit.

Just my humble opinion, but DC are actually stronger than before now, due to those gorgeous buffs from Corbs and Asto. DC have always needed a char to get the most of them, but in 8th I think they're getting more than before.

Edited by Shaezus

My shotgun scouts have always over performed in battle. I built them wit ha view to being a veteran scout squad, I know a bit anti-fluff. It battle the have shot and assaulted Abadonns terminator guard and won. Outflanked a Carnifex and shot it off the board in a turn. Trundeled into battle in a Rhino and diembark and unleash hell. All my oponants learned to fear them! 

Not that anti-fluff... in the 3rd edition codex our Scouts were all 'veterans' chosen from the most blood thirsty dudes in chapter. I don't remember the exact quote, but at the time they were (slightly) better than your average SM scout.

Honestly I've only been doing small practice games @ 500 points. my list so far is:

Captain with Master Crafted Power Sword and Plasma Pistol

Imperial Space Marine

Three Command Veterans with Boltguns and Storm Shields

Tactical Squad, 10 man, Power Fist, Flamer, Heavy Flamer

Rhino with Storm Bolter

I've found that the rhino is very durable, although the lack of troops being able to fire out of it means I've only been charging into combat with it (or more appropriately, being charged) weather the first turn of combat, then have the tactical squad pour out while the rhino tar pits the combat unit (I think you can voluntarily leave combat now, but my opponents haven't been taking advantage of this)

Imperial Space Marine is awesome, and I love playing with him, being able to take out bigger opponents in the shooting phase (including the shooting phase with his disintegration pistol while in combat) is a great boon.

Captain is pretty great, he's done very well at killing tougher units, his rites of battle rule has also been very helpful

Veterans have just been a bodyguard unit for the Captain and Imperial Space Marine. They've done decently at weathering most attacks, especially from bigger stuff like a kitted out Vanguard Unit, and a Daemon Prince with a Harem of Daemonettes.

I've yet to use BA specific unit yet, but my initial skepticism of 8th has been quashed slightly so far.

MSU Scout squads with a couple Sniper Rifles and a Missile Launcher sound like they will have super utility, as do dedicated assault scout squads with 5x Shotguns, 4x Combat Blades, 1x Power Sword/Axe/Fist.

I was looking at the same loadout! Sadly scouts are equipped with boltgun/pistol and the entry doesn't allow you to trade off the pistol, only the boltgun. 

Have we talked about Artificer armor going away as an upgrade?

Looks like those that had it built into their model/points keep it, but things like captains etc. (as far as I have been told) no longer gain it as an upgrade. Which makes sense when you could just take TDA now, but wanting a fancy Captain on the board not in Gravis or TDA seems like an adjustment I'm going to have to get used to seeing.

Looks like those that had it built into their model/points keep it, but things like captains etc. (as far as I have been told) no longer gain it as an upgrade. Which makes sense when you could just take TDA now, but wanting a fancy Captain on the board not in Gravis or TDA seems like an adjustment I'm going to have to get used to seeing.

Haha, back in the day we were the only Marine Faction to not have artificer armour which led to some tournaments saying the classic BA Captain was illegal :teehee: (nipple armour = artificer armour you see)

We also went through a spell of having LDR 9 Captains, but that's a rant for another day...

Haha, back in the day we were the only Marine Faction to not have artificer armour which led to some tournaments saying the classic BA Captain was illegal :teehee: (nipple armour = artificer armour you see)

We also went through a spell of having LDR 9 Captains, but that's a rant for another day...

After finally getting the option for it I'm sad they took it back away. Just going to be legging a 3+ 4++ now :(