Dedicated WIP board for Age of Darkness

Kais Klip

It seems like the Age of Darkness thread is veritably flooded by WIP posts and journal-updates of Space Wolf armies. Can we take a look into opening up a separate board for heresy-era Works in Progress, since we're unwilling to relegate them to the actual Work in Progress board reserved for the 41st millennium?  

Pardon if this was mentioned before, but it would be nice to engage in some actual discussion every one and a while there. 

I've noticed the same thing. It does rather beg the question 'if HH gets a WIP, why doesn't [insert popular army here]?' However, it may not be a bad idea as a special exception.

edit: although on reflection it may just be better to post a note encouraging users to use the WIP board, as well - if HH gets its own WIP forum, why doesn't SW:A, other game systems, etc

I've noticed the same thing. It does rather beg the question 'if HH gets a WIP, why doesn't [insert popular army here]?' However, it may not be a bad idea as a special exception.

edit: although on reflection it may just be better to post a note encouraging users to use the WIP board, as well - if HH gets its own WIP forum, why doesn't SW:A, other game systems, etc

I second this yes.gif

A WIP is a WIP, whether it's set in the Age of Darkness, the Scouring, the Age of Apostasy, the current era, or some other period of time in the Warhammer 40,000 setting.

If the Age of Darkness forum is flooded with WIP topics, members are posting their WIPs in the wrong forum. Try the Forge for your painting, modeling, and converting topics and use the tag "Age of Darkness WIP" for easy identification and searching.

If the Age of Darkness forum is flooded with WIP topics, members are posting their WIPs in the wrong forum. Try the Forge for your painting, modeling, and converting topics and use the tag "Age of Darkness WIP" for easy identification and searching.

Does that mean every WIP thread should be in the Forge? Because every single army-specific subforum, as far as I have the patience to check, has at least one WIP thread going on.

Personally, I like having the Sisters WIP threads in the Shiaters forum, but the traffic there is moderate enough that it doesn't get out of hand (I generally don't follow WIPs but if they're Sisters related I at least glance at what is being done).

Does that mean every WIP thread should be in the Forge? Because every single army-specific subforum, as far as I have the patience to check, has at least one WIP thread going on.

No. It just means that in cases where a faction-based forum is being inundated with WIP topics to the point that other discussions are pushed to the 2nd page (and therefore not as visible or active), members need to consider the Forge.

Practically speaking, I don't see any reason for WIPs to be at faction-based forums as WIPs are relevant to everyone. I'm not going to dictate that WIPs just be in the Forge, however.

No. It just means that in cases where a faction-based forum is being inundated with WIP topics to the point that other discussions are pushed to the 2nd page (and therefore not as visible or active), members need to consider the Forge.

Practically speaking, I don't see any reason for WIPs to be at faction-based forums as WIPs are relevant to everyone. I'm not going to dictate that WIPs just be in the Forge, however.

The tag system doesn't work for most people who use a phone to access the forum. So trying to find certain types of WIP is a chore if you sift through the WIP section. Also the tag system doesn't work as there isn't a tick box type choice of what it's about so typos and different wording when setting up the tags means you can miss loads of content if tags are wrongly applied. This is a big issue with the site that admins gloss over with "it'd work if more people used them" rather than tackle the issue which is "why are people avoiding them" or "why don't they work"? (This is meant as constructive feedback aka I'm not ranting just want a system that works!!!)

So what do you do? If you want to find certain types of WIP you naturally head to that area of the forum. Lol ... Hence why I'd love a terrain area of the forum. ;)

There are a lot of frater who run a few WIP threads. A general one in the WIP area and a more specific one in the area of the forum dedicated to that faction. This means they get double the amount of feedback as people often adopt certain areas of the site and don't visit others. If you want generic how does this look feedback the WIP area will give you a broad spectrum of answers. If you want load out advice the thread in the faction specific area will generally give better feedback. They're both WIP threads on one way or another.

The tag system doesn't work for most people who use a phone to access the forum. So trying to find certain types of WIP is a chore if you sift through the WIP section. Also the tag system doesn't work as there isn't a tick box type choice of what it's about so typos and different wording when setting up the tags means you can miss loads of content if tags are wrongly applied. This is a big issue with the site that admins gloss over with "it'd work if more people used them" rather than tackle the issue which is "why are people avoiding them" or "why don't they work"? (This is meant as constructive feedback aka I'm not ranting just want a system that works!!!)

So what do you do? If you want to find certain types of WIP you naturally head to that area of the forum. Lol ... Hence why I'd love a terrain area of the forum. msn-wink.gif

There are a lot of frater who run a few WIP threads. A general one in the WIP area and a more specific one in the area of the forum dedicated to that faction. This means they get double the amount of feedback as people often adopt certain areas of the site and don't visit others. If you want generic how does this look feedback the WIP area will give you a broad spectrum of answers. If you want load out advice the thread in the faction specific area will generally give better feedback. They're both WIP threads on one way or another.

The tagging system works just fine for me on my mobile, as seen in this topic that I just created, tags and all. I'll admit that creating it on my mobile took far longer than it does on my computer, but that's why I generally only use my mobile for checking the site and I use my laptop computer when I want to actually participate by creating topics or replying to topics. Maybe I'm a dinosaur in that. In that, I prefer converting and painting my own models (dinosaur laptop/desktop computer equivalent) to playing with pre-painted minis (mobile). Doing it "right" takes more time and work, but it's well worth the effort.

Personally, I like the tagging system. The minimum amount of time and effort added on the front end, especially when using good tags and not silly nonsense, helps out immensely. I'd rather create one topic with tags and be able to check for replies in one spot than have to bounce between multiple topics on the exact same subject. And I like being able to find discussions on similar subjects simply by clicking a tag and having the board find all similarly tagged discussions - it saves me from having to manually search multiple pages on multiple forums. Not using tags is sub-optimizing in a BIG way.

And while it's nice to be tribal and confine all of one's efforts to one or two forums, the Age of Darkness in this case, but you miss out on so much when you don't visit other parts of the site and see what they have to offer. Some members don't venture into the Horus Heresy forums that often, probably because they don't play, so they don't see the wonderfully painted models posted therein. Likewise, Horus Heresy players that don't venture out of the Age of Darkness are missing all of the wonderful models that are posted in the Forge. It's probably far cleaner to put all WIPs, whether Horus Heresy, Dark Angels, Adepta Sororitas, or whatever, into the WIP forum within the Forge. I suppose having the blogs back would be nicer and would make this discussion kind of moot. msn-wink.gif

Archived