Trixie's Alpha Legion

Trixie

It's a 'textured rolling pin' from Green Stuff World. They have quite a large selection of patterns including a very cool 'dark runes' one which could be of interest to the chaos tainted brethren here. 

If you do go for one, make sure to compare their webstore prices to their ebay store prices. The webstore seems to be a little cheaper with most stuff.

Base prototypes complete.

I'm thinking of a grey/white colour for them to set off the metallic blue of the Legion.

http://i.imgur.com/1spyFwr.jpg

• 6 months later...

Ridiculous amount of time since last update. Ended up buying a house with the missus, had a load of uni work to do as well. Anyways I stripped everything I had painted down, swapped from Tamiya clear blue as a basecoat to using Minitaire ghost tint plasma fluid (mostly because it doesn't stink out my little hobby room as much). Got a bit more done now so gonna post it up.

77UUtfX.jpg

DrKK2mO.jpg

xjpUkqf.jpg

Still WIP. Hopefully more to come sooner than later.

Thanks Hushrong, nice to be back painting and to have a place of our own. I now have a small but entirely dedicated room for my hobby stuff. It's basically a tiny box room but I can now leave hobby projects out overnight instead of packing/unpacking them away each time I want to paint. 

Hopefully this will go someway towards improving my productivity and painting rate :P. Gonna have all the tacticals done in days and start on some shooty stuff or redo the rhinos.

• 1 month later...

The shooty stuff is a load of dreadnoughts and tanks hushrong. Swamped again with university work and problems at the moment so very little hobby time. Rebased 30 x tactical marines though and added some basic edge highlights, so at least something is done.

El46EC8.jpg

Airbrush for sure, the blue-green faded Alpha Legion is one of the very few schemes I just wouldn't attempt without an airbrush. I am sure more talented people can do it no problem but I know my own limits :tongue.:. Your own metallic blue is nothing to scoff at either though hushrong.

So far all I have painted is a a boat load of tacticals, all the vehicles and interesting stuff is sitting here primed and has been that way for months :I. I even have cerastus knights, a gang of robots and some auxilia to paint now as well. I was thinking Xana/Malinax scheme for the knights and bots, with a reversed version of black armour and bone overalls for the auxilia to represent the House Malinax household infantry. I can see the treacherous double dealings of Xana make them the perfect ally for the Alpha Legion. University break is coming so hopefully get some paint on stuff real soon.

I have been attempting to learn how to airbrush vehicles recently. It's been a fun and interesting technique for sure but I am not quite there yet, will keep trying until I am happy though and am sure I am making progress with the shading each time (I resprayed after each attempt).

First I was just trying to match the colour to the marines already painted, then tried to add some pre shade, then started working on a blue to teal fade.

Using Vallejo Steel as a basecoat and Minitaire Ghost tints for the Teal/blue stuff.

5jD7XEW.jpg?1

k8GPy7A.jpg?1     

zVuI9rO.jpg?1

Will try to combine all effects and make the preshading a bit more pronounced next time I can paint, I was more worried about over doing it than under doing it. I am having a lot of fun though with this airbrush thingey :smile.:

*edit - I also worked out how to resize my awful photos now as well*

That’s awesome. Resized pics can really show off minis ;)

Kidding aside I have to say the airbrush work is nice! Looks leagues beyond what I could even do. The main color and shade blend so well together. Please keep this coming!

Thanks for the encouragement, I had painted a rhino for my Alphas a few months ago but it had zero shading and was just a bright blue green brick of armour. I thought I needed to get back to basics and learn some techniques. The hardest part was already done, which was paying for the airbrush and the gizmos to go with it......I just needed to step up and be willing to fail with it a bit so I could learn new things. Hopefully once I get the effect I want I can just start to spam on it on my sizable unpainted collection of shame/armour.

It’s good looking work! I really need to invest in an airbrush and give it a go. I have 2 rhinos and 2 predators for my EC army done that look like metallic purple blocks and if I could do some shading I would be really pleased. Plus, I’ve seen some awesome greyish-blue black I want for another army that I think can only be done by airbrush.

Are you going to do this to marines if you haven’t already?

Thanks again for the positive comments, I am happy that my attempts seem to be going in the right direction and that I can get a lick of paint on all the bigger plastic and resin kits after relentlessly painting tacticals for months.

I can heartily recommend the airbrush route for any painter old or new (I myself returned to hobby with the idea of buying and learning the airbrush from day1) tut it for sure isn't a cheap decision. The airbrush and the compressor can rack up serious damage to anyones wallet and it's no true replacement for a handbrush for many techniques. However it really does save a noticeable amount of time when used for certain schemes/models, and time is something no amount of money can usually buy back.

The marines already have a basic fade to em which was just spray pure blue from below for a few seconds, and ditto from above but with pure green. I doubt I have anywhere near the control required to individually pick out the various plate sections on the marines to really push the fade.

Maybe I can  try it on some dreads once the rhinos are done, they are basically embiggened chubby marines and a bit closer to the size required for me to get a bit more accuracy.

Hello Bretheren, just a little update on the vehicles. I ran out of Vallejo Air Steel after priming and basecoating those 3 rhinos, the 3 preds and starting the landraider. Whilst waiting for the paint to arrive via mail I decided to attempt to add some detail to the landraider interior. Pretty much finished it today and quite happy as I have never bothered to paint a vehicles interior before.

7wDTYwh.jpg?1

EJ6ASbH.jpg?1

PyrMsvF.jpg?1

7gwpPun.jpg?1

Despite all of the work going to be unnoticed once the vehicle is fully assembled, it was rather fun and relaxing to paint it out :)

Gone ahead and preshaded all of my rhinos earlier, am happy with the effect so I will be sticking with it for the rest of my armour. Tomorrow I will add some post shade with a dark blue and some highlights with clear green and silver.

Heres how it looks so far. (apologies in advance as it takes me a long time to complete any project and these rhinos have stuck as WIP for a while now while I learn to airbrush)

1ilxAOz.jpg?1

Vmd6txN.jpg?1

jrmtWPK.jpg?1

I think I have sort of figured out the how/where to decently apply preshade so I can hopefully move on quickly with all the other vehicles now that the trial and error phase is over.

Little bit of progress, still ALL the post shade and ALL the details to do. I am super slow but I also think people enjoy wips of all stages :P.

nusywyR.jpg?1

tPCtiHT.jpg?1

Hopefully all the metal details and shade/highlight added next session. Already preshaded the preds and landraider :D.

• 1 month later...

Archived