Lion Helm

Indefragable

Azrael's Lion Helm, carried by the Jawa WitD:

What color is it?

Most pics show it as green with red wings...

...but if it is in fact the Lion's own helmet...wouldn't it be black because that was the I Legion's colors when the Lion was around?

...but then again, the Lion would have had a Primarch sized helmet anyways, so it kinda doesn't matter what color this one is...

Anyways, I think I am going to paint mine black with gold trim like the depiction on the cover of AoC: https://gavthorpe.co.uk/2016/02/07/artwork-reveal-angels-of-caliban/

Now, for the real question. Suggestions for painting "red-gold"?

In either AoC or "Savage Weapons" it mentions that the lion (for all intents and purposes) head on El'Jonson's chest armor is "that rarest of metals, red-gold from Mars itself" (paraphrased). I think that would be a pretty cool theme to paint the little lion-head on the Lion Helm (this is getting dangerously Space Wolfey with all these lion- mentions) in.

Any suggestions on how to achieve a look like that? Especially with Cotadel paints?

Do you mean red gold like 30k ksons or red gold like rose gold?

I would imagine the helmet was repainted/repaired throughout time, just like every other piece. The whole fitting a prim arch I think is an oversight of a past time, where they never expected to actually bring back primarchs

Do you mean red gold like 30k ksons or red gold like rose gold?

I would imagine the helmet was repainted/repaired throughout time, just like every other piece. The whole fitting a prim arch I think is an oversight of a past time, where they never expected to actually bring back primarchs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold#Rose.2C_red.2C_and_pink_gold

75% gold, 25% copper. Apparently <shrug> it just sounds really cool and unique. Like a shiny goldy-red that would make it the helm look super extra special.

Maybe Balthasar Gold  and/or Auric Armor Gold + several red washes?

GRC is right. Maybe post a picture of the color you are looking for too.

The color your thinking of seems like a pinkish bronze. I think to achieve it it's all going to be about the base. Almost like a flesh tone with a light colored bronze.

Fw does a neat technique also where they base the whole mini in gold, then they add a tint over it. Instead of red, maybe tint it with a similar color? I've never tried but jut an option

I did an actual "Red-Gold" on this Terminator's tilt shield. I did so exactly as people have suggested, painted, shaded and highlighted as standard gold, with a Bloodletter glaze over it until it was satisfactorily red. It has a great shine to it still that I wish the camera could capture better.

I'm fairly certain it's not the Lion's helmet on account of being incredibly tiny and MK VII armor. The Lion shouldn't have even been around Terra when MK VII armor was produced. 

Except when 2nd Ed introduced the Helm the fluff wasn't developed enough to clarify.

I hope eternally for a new Azzy Mini that is bigger and has those sort of things sorted out.

Oh yes, very very much yes.

As far as I'm concerned, the Watcher can be wearing the helm too.

Except when 2nd Ed introduced the Helm the fluff wasn't developed enough to clarify.

I hope eternally for a new Azzy Mini that is bigger and has those sort of things sorted out.

Is it just me or is the Balthasar and Turmiel models just alternate Azrael and Ezekiel models? They look very similar to them in regards of wargear and models. Like, Balthasar has a very similar helmet and sword, while also having a combi-plasma on his back.

Yep. I think they fully did that on purpose.

Doesn't change wanting an actual new model named Azrael. :D

You're not wrong! I just wish they would sell the DV characters seperately, since they look pretty nice. I also want a plastic Asmodai.

But anyways I think we might be getting off topic.

So it's just the Lion Helm on the ground with feet sticking out?

So it's just the Lion Helm on the ground with feet sticking out?
Now that's a conversion I would pay to see! :tu:

Is it just me or is the Balthasar and Turmiel models just alternate Azrael and Ezekiel models? They look very similar to them in regards of wargear and models. Like, Balthasar has a very similar helmet and sword, while also having a combi-plasma on his back.

They pretty much are. They have the exact same loadouts.

I actually am using the head of Balth for my Azzy conversion, and making him taller.

And most of the Turmy model for my Libby conversion that I will be using as Ezekiel.

Other comments - Also about the armor marks thing. The fluff currently states that 7's were around, same as current Rhinos and Land Raiders.

But I agree with the size issue of the helmet. It's not big enough for a Primarch. Except for Alpharius/Omegon, but not any of the other Primarchs.

Archived