The Reaper's Hammer Crusade: Upholding the First Born Vow

So, Reivers are taking a little longer than I thought. Kinda still a little in and out with the rot, but fighting through. All of the base colors are done, shades applied, the eyes are finished, touching up some facial details now before I finish the skull masks, and purity seals are done. I just need to highlight golds and steels, leather, touch up the shoulder pads, and clean up armor where random paint dots got where they shouldn't be. Almost done with them. Then on to the Infiltrators...

I have an idea of kind of giving them a sort of urban cammo look using a sort of sponge technique. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Okay, so update:

The Reivers have obviously taken longer than I anticipated, but all of the painting is done, and I'm applying the last to the shoulder transfers now! After they dry and get dull coated, I'll post pics.

I never want to paint these guys again. That's a LOT of leather to highlight!

Reivers

Finally done! I kept one shoulder pad (the one that doesn't have one actually) black and added a white cross to those ones. I think it turned out pretty well. The leather work kicked my :censored:, but it finally turned out.

Now on to 10 Infiltrators...

So, progress report from yesterday:

I decided against doing the camo pattern on the Infiltrators. I think Brother Christopher was right that it would look out of place in a BT army. I am going to grey them out a bit more than usual to differentiate them as forward operators, but still overall black.

Looking good! Nice pace, too (at least by my standards ;)!

I decided against doing the camo pattern on the Infiltrators. I think Brother Christopher was right that it would look out of place in a BT army. I am going to grey them out a bit more than usual to differentiate them as forward operators, but still overall black.

Did you perhaps take a photo of the pattern? I'm quite curious how it turned out.

Looking good! Nice pace, too (at least by my standards :wink:!

Did you perhaps take a photo of the pattern? I'm quite curious how it turned out.

I discarded the idea due to the time it would take to test and possibly repaint the test model if it didn't work out. I'm kind of on a timetable here.

Progress! I have the Infiltrators mostly done! I'm waiting for the gloss coat to dry right now to begin applying decals on the shoulders, and then only have to do rifle lenses and gloss eyes and other lenses, and another ten will be done. Should be finished either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'll edit in a pic later, but the paint was a Vallejo surface primer, then VGC Black, then Mechanicus Standard Grey and Dawnstone zenithal through an airbrush. Back at the painting table, it's an Administratum Grey drybrush with a make-up brush, then all over heavy coat of Nuln Oil. Gently reapply the drybrush of Admin Grey, and the black is more or less done. 

I thought I saw the workings of an airbrush, drybrush and extensive use of washes. The method produces a nice 'modern' look and - I imagine - to be very pleasant to quickly get great results, without much hassle.

On a personal note, this is something I'd go for if I hadn't started in 5th edition and if I hadn't had so many models painted the old school way. I really like the weathered look and the subtle grey hue.

I thought I saw the workings of an airbrush, drybrush and extensive use of washes. The method produces a nice 'modern' look and - I imagine - to be very pleasant to quickly get great results, without much hassle.

On a personal note, this is something I'd go for if I hadn't started in 5th edition and if I hadn't had so many models painted the old school way. I really like the weathered look and the subtle grey hue.

On these guys, it works. I'm using a lot of styles to get what I'm after.

Progress Report:

The base colors on the Primarus Crusader squad are done, and laying down shades. Going back to work has hampered progress (and getting back into shape from 2.5 weeks down), but it's happening. Also, this is the last 10-man squad I have to paint for the vow.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I tried a different approach to painting the Termi's by painting in the highlights rather than dry brushing, and let's just say I don't have the time to do it right. It keeps coming out chunky and just overall lack-luster. So, after base coating again (luckily, I'm using very thin paints!), I'm just going to stick with the dry brush method. It looks good on the table, and is much easier to pull off quickly. I won't be winning any painting awards with them, but I just want to see them done!

Okay, so I tried a different approach to painting the Termi's by painting in the highlights rather than dry brushing, and let's just say I don't have the time to do it right. It keeps coming out chunky and just overall lack-luster. So, after base coating again (luckily, I'm using very thin paints!), I'm just going to stick with the dry brush method. It looks good on the table, and is much easier to pull off quickly. I won't be winning any painting awards with them, but I just want to see them done!

I totally agree with this approach! Highlights take forever, drybrushers are the true elite. :laugh.:

The Crusader squad looks great! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I painted my :censored: off, but came up short. As penance for my failure, I vow to complete the models I promised, as well as build the 2nd Redemptor Dread, as well as finish the FW Warlord Titan that I have now put on the back burner for months.

I'll post a pic of all the work I did accomplish soon. Thanks to all those that supported my attempt.

• 1 month later...

I know, I still need to upload pics, but making progress anyway.

After looking at the Terminators again, I've decided that I cannot in good faith call them done. Now that I don't have to rush through painting, I'm seeing some things that can be done a bit better, like shining up the golds a little more and making sure I like the whites of their helmets. I also have the Bladeguard, Suppressors, Eliminators, and Eradicators almost finished (work started and near complete during Knightfall).

Also on the painting table are the Primaris Marshal (Captian w/shield), Marshal in Phobos, Primaris Castellan (Lieutenant w/shield), Castellan in Phobos, Primarus Chaplain, Bladeguard Ancient, Judicar, Primaris Emperor's Champion, and BT Marshal in various stages of progress.

On another note, I got the Shapeways Redemptor Dreadnaught upgrade for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to actually building this next one. I just have to figure out what to do with this one's posing, as I did a unique one for the last one I built, but that's for AFTER I finish the vow.

I'm working a little slower now, and I took a long break from painting after my failure so I could catch my breath. I'm looking forward now to finishing what's left of my massive vow and getting back to working on the FW Warlord Titan.

Hopefully, the next post will have the pics of all the models I did manage to complete and the progress made on the one's I'm working on now. Thanks to everybody that has offered support!

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a hiatus, it's time to get back to work.

So, here is a reminder of where I got to before I hit major snags:

Primarus Crusader Squad

Infiltrators

Reivers

SBR Intercessors

BR Intercessors

HPI Hellblasters

Hellblasters W Plasma Incinerators

That was a lot of work, even with the "Quaran-Painting" I was able to get done.

As I've said, I have more to show, but that will be in the next post.