The Reaper's Hammer Crusade: Upholding the First Born Vow

So, I stumbled on this tutorial for painting thunder hammers, and I have to say that the end result (if you don't do the lightning effect as thickly as this guy did) is AMAZING! I added 'Ard coat to it overall to make it seem more "powery" (technical Techmarine term, try to keep up), and it's great. Got a lot of good reviews at my FLGS on it. Just thought I'd share for those who haven't seen it yet. IMO, it fits with our overall darker look.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tonight realized the amount of work I have in the cue for my force. I have 5 Assault Terminators (3 LC, 2 TH/SS) to finish painting, then I have a new Marshal (Combiplas/PS) to paint, an Ancient to not only paint, but figure out what to do for the banner, then rebuild and paint 5 tabard wearing Crusaders, build and paint 5 more Assault Terminators, build one jump pack Crusader to flesh out a full 10 man Assault Squad, then work to paint my Repulsor, then work to build and paint 10 Intercessors and 10 Hellblasters. 9 projects cued up, and at my snail-pace for painting, and constantly adding more to the ever growing pile, that may be the rest of the year for me! Whoever likened this hobby to a drug addiction probably wasn't that far off the mark.

• 1 month later...

Ok fellow Templars, I need some advice.

I've come to the decision to go away from Abaddon Black from Citadel for my blacks. I have some Vallejo 72.051 Game color and some 70.950 Model color black to try. What are you using if you choose between the two?

My Primarus are awaiting your replies.

I absolutely love the VMC 70.950 black. It was my first VMC color to purchase and I have not looked back. In fact, some of the base colors for the range is the reason why I try to stay away from GW colors now. Heck, I have a VGC Goblin Green that belonged to my dad, he used it WW2 plane camouflage, that is almost 20 years old. Still works like a dream.

Right now I am experimenting with the layering of VMC black over VMC dark grey and vise-versa.  The results going both ways are pretty interesting.

• 1 month later...

I can hear the heavy foot falls coming down the hall outside, the steady and confident tramping of the power armor boots on the metal deck. I know who it will be. I've known this day was coming.

Am I ready to stand under that piercing gaze again? I tell myself yes, I am, then remember why I am here. The remembering weighs heavily on me, and I am forced to admit to myself that I may still be found wanting under his inspection.

I have meditated for months. It was all I had left to me. In retrospect, I know I received a light punishment for my lapse. Others have gotten much worse for my failing.

I feel my body want to shake, to let fear take root. I deny it. I let it wash through me and away from me as I maintain my almost trance-like state. To a mortal, I would almost be sleeping knelt upon the decking. I am still as stone on the exterior.

The air of my cell is cool on my skin. My only clothing is the loincloth I was left with when I was brought here. I did not fight or struggle. I knew my failing deserved punishment. I was surprised that their actions against me were kept as quiet as it was. It was not public knowledge, and I am grateful for that. It means that I may still hold some shred of my honor, but I dare not hope. I know not what will come when he opens that hatch.

Come what may, I will not fear. I'm not even sure I know how to.

The foot steps grow louder, and now they are right outside. I hear them stop on the other side of the hatch and start to come up out of the contemplative meditative trance I have been in for so long. The sense of time passed come back to me, and as I hear the touch pad being keyed, my mind performs the calculations to tell me just how long I have been here. I feel that strange sensation that I think could be fear try and fail to grip my soul once again as I come to the conclusion of my calculation. He is here too soon.

The hatch slides open on creaking servos that have not moved regularly for millennia. It pains my heart to know that, and already know that whenever I am released I will have the tech servitors make the required prayers of repair for this cell. I feel his presence enter.

"Sword Brother Ryan." The word comes as a deep growl. A part of me is nearly elated that I have retained my rank and status even after all this time.

My eyes finally open and quickly adjust to the glaring light from outside of my darkened confinement cell. It is the first light I've seen since being placed here. He is backlit in the hatchway, but no amount of glare can obfuscate his bearing and stature. He is my Chaplain, and I remain kneeling before him.

"You have been found wanting before your peers. Have you contemplated your failings?"

I keep my eyes averted, although I know he will still see a lie in them should I fail now, "I have done nothing else, my lord." I reply.

He takes a moment to weigh my words against my soul. I can feel his scrutiny pierce my being as I kneel before him, this great avatar of the Emperor.

"Your battle brothers have waged war without you in this contest due to your failing. You allowed yourself to forget the core tenant of the code we all exist by here. Have you reviewed the Holy Laws we hold true to?"

"I have," I want to rush to answer, but I maintain my solemn tone of penance as I continue, "Not just the law I broke, but all of them."

I want to say that I will not fail again, but I hold my tongue. He will know.

"Rise, Sword Brother Ryan. The contest has moved beyond your reach, and you will wear this silent shame on your heart for all of your remaining days. However, the Crusade still requires your talents. Your brothers have need of you." 

I rise on creaking knees from my contemplation and meditation.

"I have new orders for you, Sword Brother, and know you will not fail."

"I stand ready to obey, my lord."

"The Knights are coming. You will greet them and prepare their way forward to glorious war. I charge you to make them ready." 

As alluded to in my last posting, the Imperial Knights of the illustrious House Hawkshroud will be joining the Keeltonian Crusade! Thus far, I have 1 Knight Warden kit that I have fully assembled and every weapon option from the kit magnetized for differing load-outs. (By the way, BE CAREFUL when using power drills. I have literally given my blood to this Knight!)

I also have 2 Armiger Helverins (that's all my FLGS had in stock, they thought the 1 kit made both variants until I informed them otherwise!). I have all 3 assembled minus the armor plates ATM and have them all painted going along with the tips and advice from the WHTV tutorial with a few adjustments to suit my taste.

I tried to paint the armor of the Warden kit by brush, but it seemed to me that no matter what size brush I used or how thick/thin the Averland Sunset layer I put on, it just keeps looking like doo-doo (don't judge my wording, I can't say what I really want to here!). So, this has been me for the last few weeks... :wallbash: as I tried to get it even. Then I "discover" that GW makes it in a spray a few days ago, once again by watching a WHTV tip-of-the-day on how to paint that color scheme. So now it looks like all those armor plates are in for a bath in Simple Green and a redo once the spray arrives. How wonderful for me :verymad:.

In the meantime, however, I finally am getting to work on the 30 Primarus Marines (10 each Intercessors, Hellblasters, and Reivers) and my Repulsor. So far, it's only the blacks and beginning of the whites I've gotten to, and about half the metal bits have been started. IRLO has severely limited my time and opportunity to sit and paint, so it's probably a good I sat out ETL (sorry about that).

Anyway, enough for now. I will edit in pics at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

No pic yet, but hopefully by the end of the weekend.

In the meantime, I just got in some of the new Sector Imperialis scenery kits that came out with the Kill Team release, and will be working to assemble them as I wait for paints to dry. These are heavy kits right out of the box. It seems as if they definitely took into account that these will be used, moved, put up, and abused frequently and seem more sturdy than the Cities of Death kits they replace. So, my table build has begun...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, painting yellow is a STEEP learning curve. I tried the instructions for Hawkshroud painting I found on a WHTV Tip of the Day, and found the transition of color to be way too dramatic, so I'm going back a step and bringing up the tone to Yriel Yellow before I edge highlight with Dorn Yellow. ATM, it looks like crud, so that's why no pics yet. Any further advice for painting yellow with a brush?

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow is a tricky beast, but tameable.

As BrotherHawklynn suggested, using a mid-point before moving to your yellow, will make things easier.

Depending on how deep you want the yellow to be, you can try the following over black base coat:

1. Medium brown*

2. Light tan/sand color*

3. Then apply your yellow*

* I didn't list specific colors as I use Vallejo Model Color paints for the most part.

Not only will the stepped approach give you a smoother yellow, you'll also find it's a bit deeper yellow, rather desaturated which  is my preference.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,

Ok, after two weeks of sitting in a Simple Green bath and repeated scrubbing (had family come visit & no time to do more, and I completely forgot them for that week), all of the cruddy yellow I desperately tried to paint on has FINALLY been taken off. Also, my Averland Sunset spray came in during that time, so I'm good to go for re-primer and the spray of the base coat. Now, as I live in NE Kansas, I just need the :censored: ing weather to cooperate!

On another note, I had saved up some money to start collecting the Primarch Series from Forgeworld, and I was 1 plasma donation away from being able to afford Dorn before both my FLGS and the plasma center got flooded this past weekend. I'm sure that the plasma center will be back up and running soon, but my game store may be a while :furious: . So, instead, I looked online for a simple air brush set up and VIOLA! It will be here on or about the 10th or so, so I'll be learning how to use that as my game store recovers. Just a simple compressor w/tank and an Iwata Neo gravity feed brush to start. All my research into the set up says this is a good place to start, so we'll see what happens.

Now, once the rain stops, I can get back to those knights!

My observations on Averland Sunset Spray:

Wow, that came out a LOT brighter than I had expected. After fiddling with the pot paint, I had expected the pieces to be darker than they are, but it's really close in hue to the bits I had painted with the brush and then layered with Yuriel Yellow. I'm not sure why this is, but I can now see why in the WHTV segment they went directly to edging with Dorn Yellow without brightening the piece at all.

I primed the armor plates with a light grey, then based with the spray. After it dried, I can see several parts that need a touch more in some places, but overall, I am happy with the result. I'll probably still take it up to an even Yuriel Yellow just to ensure that it all looks the same, but I'm impressed with the result. I'll get pics up tonight after work and after I respray the parts that need it.

EDIT: No progress, so no pics yet. Weather is just too crummy to blast the remaining pieces. More to follow.

Edited by SWORD BROTHER RYAN

• 2 months later...

Oh yeah, definitely that works very well. Nice job on the blaster coils as well.

Not sure I see it on the gold eagle, but does it have a wash on it for the recesses? It could be the lighting, but it looks a little washed out.

I like the not-so-black black result you've ended up with.

Do it again. :)