• 3 weeks later...
Wheeee... Friday!

Must... paint... moar...

qwjx1pa.png

Two by two in robes of blue. Try to hide and they'll find you.

Still WIP with a little ways to go (*sigh* backpacks... aren't backpacks great?), but they're starting to actually look like something.

• 2 weeks later...

Image dump for the sake of documentation. Please have a look at Legion Rising if you're interested in more rambling about process and technique.

MDFAtHQ.png

nOYtbEC.png

1TG6BAs.png

4MeowcR.png

I do plan to add more written content to this thread in the future, but that will start to happen as more projects start reaching completion.

Thanks as always for your interest and following along. Much more to come from Artum Laboris - The Dark Works.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how the blue turned out considering how straightforward it was to paint. As I mention in Legion Rising, it's a bit brighter in the photos than in real life, but not that far off.

As for the basing, you're basically correct about the Martian Earth, but I use the light brown Agrellan Earth. I've been doing an Ashen Wastes scheme for a long time but I always wanted to add some visual interest to it without using dead vegetation and/or creating significantly more work. So I do the sand and stone basing first and then add in some Agrellan Earth in random patterns so it takes up roughly half of the base. Since the Agrellan Earth needs to be put on quite thick to get a desirable cracked result I feather/blend out the edges of it so it transitions nicely with the sand.

t8OJL4F.png

Edit: Might as well add an image that helps to illustrate what I'm talking about, without a miniature in the way. Here's a test I did.

I've heard some people complain about Martian/Agrellan Earth and how it tends to easily flake off when it's applied directly to a base. So, as an added bonus I've found that doing it this way gives the product something much more substantial to bond with helping it stay firmly attached to the base even if you aggressively drybrush it like I do when I paint up my bases.

Edited by Subtle Discord

The work put into the history of your force, the quality painting of said force is all very top notch!  and the little tip of drybrushing the technical basing to give it more teeth is welcomed :happy.:

i do love the Trans-Arq sniper (from the Left side of first pic above) he looks like he's looking over the rifle after the shot saying "did i hit it?..." :biggrin.: 

Cheers ,Mithril 

The work put into the history of your force, the quality painting of said force is all very top notch!  and the little tip of drybrushing the technical basing to give it more teeth is welcomed :happy.:

i do love the Trans-Arq sniper (from the Left side of first pic above) he looks like he's looking over the rifle after the shot saying "did i hit it?..." :biggrin.:

Cheers ,Mithril 

Thanks! I'm glad the effort shows and expect it to continue. For some reason, while it's always an inspiration to convert and scratch build for my Chaos collection it doesn't inspire me as much as the AdMech force with regards to creating some additional background information and fiction. I suspect that my desire to blend the fiction of Atrum Laboris a little bit with the reality of my studio The Dark Works has something to do with it. I see an opportunity here to create something that can do double duty, creating a persona of sorts for my studio as well as an army that can actually get me throwing some dice again. Done right I can think of several ways that I can use Artum Laboris to elevate my current content and open the door to other creative endeavors. As much as I want to make top-notch models, I'm also strongly considering some other creative venture/s of some sort. Still just 'spitballing' at this point, so I'm not sure just where I think that might go, for now. At the very least I want to write more fiction surrounding Atrum Laboris and more specifically around certain models and units, which will start happening once some units start reaching absolute completion.

I looked and you're right, it does appear as if he's looking downrange from the angle of the photo, but I read more of a "93-tack-9: Priority target status... incapacitated..." vibe. :wink:

Beautiful looking stuff. I'm always a sucker for glowy things.... and you've done the goggles perfectly. :thumbsup:

Thank you. Despite pulling it off, I'm still completely intimidated by doing OSL since this is my first serious go at giving it a try. However, you never improve unless you're willing to challenge yourself with something that intimidates you. So, since I did manage to do an ok job of it I'm going to force myself to keep it up, even if I'm still reluctant. :smile.:

I just realized that you've drilled the tiny barrels of those galvanic rifles so perfectly I didn't realize it until I was studying your OSL.

Masterful.

Oh crap, my hobby-OCD is showing again. Yep, I've got a bit of a thing about drilling weapon barrels very carefully. *eye twitch* These were trickier than most because I was silly enough to leave myself so little room for error. Thanks for noticing.

Start with a pinhole and try to make it very precise, then seat the drill tip in the hole and drill backward to create a deep 'V' but without really cutting. Check to make sure it's very close to the center and if it needs adjustment you can continue the process and tilt the drill in the opposite direction from the direction you want the 'V' to shift. When drilling forward start very slowly and check often if it's still centered, and if necessary tilt and drill like before to carefully to shift the hole. Finally, try not to lose your mind as you ask yourself why you're a masochist.

*snip*

Start with a pinhole and try to make it very precise, then seat the drill tip in the hole and drill backward to create a deep 'V' but without really cutting. Check to make sure it's very close to the center and if it needs adjustment you can continue the process and tilt the drill in the opposite direction from the direction you want the 'V' to shift. When drilling forward start very slowly and check often if it's still centered, and if necessary tilt and drill like before to carefully to shift the hole. Finally, try not to lose your mind as you ask yourself why you're a masochist.

What size pin vise bit did you use? Do you use a jewelry loupe while drilling?

*snip*

What size pin vise bit did you use? Do you use a jewelry loupe while drilling?

I just use a standard pin vice with the two double-sided collets that provide four choices ranging from 'nothing' good for tiny bits like 0.3mm and 0.5mm, all the way up to roughly 2.5mm and 3mm. I'm using a 0.8mm bit with these Galvanic Rifles.

I do have access to a jewelers loupe but it's really overkill for anything except maybe some very close inspection. I'm lucky to have very sharp close vision so I don't 'need' magnification while I work. That said, I have started using some x3.0 magnifying glasses for the last several months when I'm doing precise work and I've grown very fond of them. The difference isn't huge, but it's enough to have a noticeable effect on how much effort it takes to focus on a small details.

That is some very gorgeous blue. I approve!

I've been a bit on the fence with considering if some cog-heads might be a good way to go since I'm shelving my Sisters for the forseeable future (because I'm not expecting plastic models for at least a year) and seeing a non-red color scheme (that isn't Metalica) definitely has caught my attention. I guess I was looking a little too much at the traditional red look and forgot other colors exist.

If I do start Ad Mech and take something less tradition, you'll definitely be to thank for it!

Looking at your backpacks it makes me think I may go back to my vanguard/rangers when I'm done all 30-ish and do glowy knobs and tubes. It looks great. I always think when I'm painting the back of a fig how much better it would seem to me (using them) if the backs were better done.

All our effort goes into the front of a fig and we hardly see it on the table. :)

Looking at your backpacks it makes me think I may go back to my vanguard/rangers when I'm done all 30-ish and do glowy knobs and tubes. It looks great. I always think when I'm painting the back of a fig how much better it would seem to me (using them) if the backs were better done.

All our effort goes into the front of a fig and we hardly see it on the table. :smile.:

Oh man! Do not deny yourself the pleasure of circling the table at least once a turn to see the terrain and model placement from different angles. What looks like blocked LOS from one side may not be the same from the other. In addition you'll want to keep an eye on potential deep strike arrival locations.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; or close up the wall with our Skitarii dead."

fND4KcJ.png
"+++ 75-tack-0 + Reporting... primary target... confirmed. Holding position... Awaiting tactical protocol downlink. +++"

Check out Legion Rising for a bit of a ramble about the WIP for this squad.

I have to admit I actually prefer the heavier glow on the right. I think, if you run a thin edge of silver down each coil it would knock it back a bit and reinforce the idea the glow is coming from between them like the one on the left. Have you tried that yet? The amount of glow could vary naturally from weapon to weapon if you imagine it pulses brighter when firing, or perhaps dims right after firing as the energy is momentarily depleted. Might look cool across a squad to vary it. I agree the plasma looks good as-is, but I think you should try the silver coils with the heavier glow, for what it's worth. It would be easy to go back if it looks silly.

You have quite the process there. Honestly I'd probably never get anything done if I broke it down like that. I appreciate the time and patience you have for this... amazing stuff really. I basically sit down and say... okay this has to get done in the next X hours. And most times I'm wrong, and still have to come back to it. This looks like a process that has you doing a Squad of Vanguard in numerous sessions... how long (in hours) do you think it takes to do a full squad of Rangers/Vanguard?

That is some very gorgeous blue. I approve!

I've been a bit on the fence with considering if some cog-heads might be a good way to go since I'm shelving my Sisters for the forseeable future (because I'm not expecting plastic models for at least a year) and seeing a non-red color scheme (that isn't Metalica) definitely has caught my attention. I guess I was looking a little too much at the traditional red look and forgot other colors exist.

If I do start Ad Mech and take something less tradition, you'll definitely be to thank for it!

Thanks! I'm glad I could be an inspiration. The models in the Mechanicus line are so nice (but fiddley!) it makes it easy to present them well. It's always nice to accomplish a task well for myself, but I really enjoy showing some work and having it inspire someone else to give something a try. One word I would not use to describe myself is 'conventional', so even if I'm working on something with a strong established appearance, I generally will do my own take on it. Sometimes it will be more subtle like with my Black Legion, and this is a case where I wanted to blatantly diverge from the key conventions.

I have to admit I actually prefer the heavier glow on the right. I think, if you run a thin edge of silver down each coil it would knock it back a bit and reinforce the idea the glow is coming from between them like the one on the left. Have you tried that yet? The amount of glow could vary naturally from weapon to weapon if you imagine it pulses brighter when firing, or perhaps dims right after firing as the energy is momentarily depleted. Might look cool across a squad to vary it. I agree the plasma looks good as-is, but I think you should try the silver coils with the heavier glow, for what it's worth. It would be easy to go back if it looks silly.

8LpKl24.png

I absolutely feel what you're saying and I was really torn on how to treat the Carbines. I like the over-the-top glow on the right, but I just can't get over that it feels like it's a bit too much, distracting the eye and drawing it away from the model. I also think it detracts from the Plasma by sharing the style of execution so closely.

The green works with the Rangers because it's the faces that have the major green elements and that draws the eye in, before looking at the rest of the model. However, there's nothing wrong with playing with it a bit more and seeing if I can strike a balance that appeals to me. The 'pulsing' idea did occur to me, and since you're suggesting it I can say it's not off the table.

It really does reinforce how I'm not all that happy with the design of the Radium Carbine and how the coils are incorporated in/on the weapon. Not a game breaker, but one of the few peeves I have about the Mechanicus line.

All our effort goes into the front of a fig and we hardly see it on the table. :smile.:

You have quite the process there. Honestly I'd probably never get anything done if I broke it down like that. I appreciate the time and patience you have for this... amazing stuff really. I basically sit down and say... okay this has to get done in the next X hours. And most times I'm wrong, and still have to come back to it. This looks like a process that has you doing a Squad of Vanguard in numerous sessions... how long (in hours) do you think it takes to do a full squad of Rangers/Vanguard?

Yeah, it was some time ago that it dawned on me too, make sure you do something so the squad looks interesting from the back. It's like automobiles, so much effort is put into how they look from the front, but most of us spent most of the time staring at the back, so give it equal consideration.

The process isn't that involved really, I'm just painting with sub-assemblies, so it's not like I have significantly more to area to paint; I've kept the backpacks off, the body separate from the legs, and only glued the left arms in place to keep easy access to the bulk of the model and the back sides of the weapons. I find it actually saves time in the long run. I glued a few weapons in place on the first Vanguard squad but stopped, and now I'm very happy I changed my mind; even if I ignore the nooks-and-crannies that are hard to see, with the weapons in place it's still very fiddly to carefully (read: slowly) paint at all the weird angles to get a good result, and I spend less time cleaning up errors that are bound to happen when painting in the tight confines. I've got a few test models and I'm showing a few bits-and-pieces all at once in the image so maybe it adds a bit more to organized chaos feeling. I could also note that the 'globes' for the Plasma Caliver were left off by accident when I primed, so now they need to be done how they're pictured.

I will admit that it's a bit fiddly putting tiny bits of poster tack to mask all of the contact points so it'll be easier to glue the final assembly, but again the effort savings that I get from this process makes it worthwhile to me. It also makes it easier to airbrush the cloaks which is a new factor for me and anything that helps take the intimidation out of that process is a good thing. :smile.:

It's a truism from college that I've come to begrudgingly accept, most times something is going to take longer than you expect, usually by a 3-to-1 ratio. Up to this point, it's really hard to say just how long it takes to do a squad. There's a lot of contemplation, some experimentation, and a fair bit of backtracking going on right now as I work out just how I'm going to do the entire process from start-to-finish. It's also been roughly five years since I was able to really sit down and paint with serious intent so I'm getting past a bit of rustiness. With the next two 10-man squads, which will be Vanguard with Arc Rifles, I plan on really focusing on them, trying to work efficiently, and keeping closer track of the time it takes to finish them. I'm curious to see for myself, so I'll be sure to talk about it when I've got a better idea. As a general rule of thumb, I'll say it's not really fast, but I get real progress done with each sitting and that's my main goal every time.