These are nothing short of gorgeous

Thanks! As I've mentioned over the years I try to strike a balance between a clean high-end tabletop standard and not getting too obsessed with the details or elaborate techniques so I use whatever process that can give me solid results without losing my mind. Most of the heavy lifting is being done by the airbrush and washes.

Not just that, the blistering pace of completion is worthy of a Forge World itself! Fine work as always :thumbsup:

Well, my first post that could be used as a baseline was early November '17, and there were many hours of prep to get them to that point. So that about 5.5 months to complete 40 Skitarii and a half painted Void Shield Generator. I've been making steady progress by compelling myself to stick to my Friday evenings and weekends painting schedule but I wouldn't exactly call it blistering. I'll concede that working in batches of 20 does help make it feel like I'm moving along at a good pace.

Recently I've decided to try and change my perspective on how to set and achieve goals and it translates directly into my painting. Goals are critical, but they are far off points in time where you finally complete an idea or project and it can be daunting to consider just how you're going to reach them; until you reach the actual goal you haven't actually completed what you've set out to do, just preliminary steps, so there's less of a sense of satisfaction as you progress. Now I set the goal but I do it within a system; the goal is to paint the entire army list, but I concentrate on the system of devoting time to paint on Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday primarily and I try hard to stick to it no matter how motivated I am. I don't judge or measure just how much I get done in any one sitting, I just feel good when I accomplish the task of sitting down and getting real progress done. If I keep doing that, well would you look at that, I'm getting things done and not frustrated that I'm still not at my final goal as I progress.

Not just that, the blistering pace of completion is worthy of a Forge World itself! Fine work as always :thumbsup:

Indeed, it's truly impressive work.  Even the pics are lovely; are you a photographer, by chance? :smile.:

Thank you. I learned how to take photographs back in high school and was lucky enough to attend a school that had a monthly newspaper and a really great journalism and communications program. This meant I was lucky enough to learn how to use a 35mm camera including developing the negatives and exposing prints. I discovered that I've got a bit of a knack for taking good photos, but that's not hard to believe really; a task that requires using tools that have all sorts of buttons and dials for controlling settings that also requires a steady hand and an eye for detail? Yeah, I think that's something I might have an affinity for. While I considered photojournalism just out of high school I've never taken photographs professionally, but I didn't let the skill go dormant either. It's since served me well as I attended college and needed to take photographs of design projects for presentations.

• 3 weeks later...
Since recently adding a new high-resolution 3D printer in the studio I've been a good little Fabricator General up to this point, keeping my focus on studio 3D models intended for production by the Forge World as I calibrate Servitor Solus. But since I've got some Dragoons to build I figured I'd permit myself a small distraction to create a few test bits that can also serve another purpose...

qbaXxEK.png

Inspired by the flat angular elements found in Lucius vehicle designs, I created some armour plates that have a more subtle curve and distinct crease lines. Oh, and droopy toes, I also made a few droopy toes.

This is partly a quick personal project, but also a small test to see if I can do something like this on a whim. The parts have some subtle curves and details that I want to try and challenge Solus with. I've also just had the idea to create some combat weapon arms to replace the clamps that come with kit; ooo... I like that idea. Or maybe I should integrate the Phosphor Serpenta into one of the arms? Hummm, there might be one or two more bits to come for this idea. Stay tuned.

I've tried hard to keep the critical measurement similar to the parts these bits will replace to ensure the fit, but I won't know until I can test them on the model. Fingers crossed that they'll fit, but there's a good chance I'll need to make some adjustments before they sit on the model correctly. Once they're dialed in, however, they could easily become a low-cost kit for the shop (minus the Atrum Laboris elements); in this case, given the price of the model they attach to, I'd want to keep the kit reasonably simple and as low-cost as possible.

These will be getting transmitted to Servitor Solus shortly, so I should have parts-in-hand by tomorrow at the latest. I'll be sure to take a few images of the components fresh from the vat and some of how they fit/look on the model.

Truly, Servitor Solus has been sent to Artum Laboris by the Omnissiah, there is no other explanation. Every time I throw a 3D model at Solus it produces results that simply make me giggle like a school girl. It does have some limitations on really tiny details, but nothing that will have any effect on the look of future designs produced by Atrum Laboris. Let's have a look at how my latest little side project turned out, shall we?

21WcvW9.png

This is the second attempt I made at printing these parts. While the fit is almost right the armour plates on the legs need one last series of tweaks to get them perfect.

Despite my Forge World's aversion to the traditional red of Mars, it seems like I'm going to have to accept that the sacred red colour is going to be central to my future manufacturing; indeed, it's going to be hidden under more than a few custom bits in my army, despite any colours I will paint over it. With results like this, how can I have any problem foregoing any ceremony or tradition of Atrum Laboris? These parts turned out as well as I could have ever hoped! 

hvkj6Qm.png

I also tried to print more of the combat arm component, but only one out of the six I attempted actually turned out. I already know what I did wrong, so future prints should be more reliable.

I'm also currently in the process of attaching a Phosphor Serpenta to the end of one of these arms, so I can equip the model with the wargear and still let the pilot keep one hand on the controls. This bit turned out so well, how could I not do it?

Ok, I'll be writing a more in-depth article discussing the components over in Legion Rising where I'll talk more about fit, finish, and other information more in line with that thread. Time is still my enemy, but expect to see three of these Dragoons coming together over the next few weeks with paint to follow soon after.

+ Broadcast Diabolical Laughter ∙

I would have also accepted + Commence Digit Steepling + :wink:

Noted for future reference. :)

That Serpenta arm is fantastic. It gives the rider one less thing to concentrate on. :smile.:

Thanks. I came up with the combat weapon arm and it just grew logically from there. In my list I've given the Dragoons the Serpentas but it really does cause a bit of an issue with the model; the 'pilot' needs to handle the Tazer Lace so they don't have a free hand to use the Serpenta and keep a hand on the controls. I didn't want to have them all holstered and I didn't want to deal with converting the controls to not have any hands on them, so this was almost inevitable once I started the project.

Those parts are really crisp, though.  You must have a heck of a printing setup! :smile.:

I've been keeping my eye on 3D printing for over a decade waiting for a printer with the quality I demanded that didn't require a second mortgage on the house; it's not cheap by any stretch, but it's not a price tag that's five figures.

There are many 3D printers out there that are amazing for printing larger objects and that has much more demand in general, but they typically can't handle the really small fine details and create top-notch surfaces. Thye' not bad printers, they're just not aimed at the market I occupied.

Solus is the first printer I've found that is specifically designed and marketed to jewelry designers, model makers, and dental applications, where a large build volume is less of a concern compared to accuracy and surface quality at a very small scale. The results speak for themselves. I was truly skeptical (hopeful, but skeptical) of the output it could produce before it arrived, but now that I've started working with it I'm beyond impressed. If the surface looks smooth and the details look crisp, trust that they really are that smooth and crisp, it's no trick of the lighting or photography. In fact, in Legion Rising I try to go out of my way to showcase any minor surface flaws and they are so minor that they're rather hard to photograph. You can generally only see them under magnification or in macro mode with a camera.

Just Awesome! , looks like your patience paid off in choosing a great printer...you have my utmost admiration for your work :thumbsup: ...and so too my Envy :drool:

well done indeed,the panels are flawless in their blending in with the original aesthetic... 

Cheers,Mithril

• 1 month later...

++++

+++++++++

++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++

+++

Motivation Subroutines ∙ Recalibrating…

+++++++

++++

Information Exchange ∙ Update

++++++

Kd09DLm.png

+++ Output Quota ∙ Inadequate +++ Incentive Reprimand ∙ Administered +++ +++ Praxis Protocols ∙ Decrypting… +++ +++ +++ Output Quota ∙ Adjusting Parameters… +++

++++

++

+++++++

Praxis Protocols ∙ Initialized

++++++

+++

+

Motivation Subroutines ∙ Updated

++++

+

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++
+++++
+++++++++

++

• 2 weeks later...
+++

+++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++++

Z8G1jVj.png

+++ Neural Congress ∙ Initialized +++ Transmit ∙ 'Dragoon Zero-Six tack Zero-One... Telemetry confirmed. Hold for Engagement Protocol down-link.' +++ Receiving ∙ 'Zero-Six tack Zero-One... Transmit confirmed. Slowing locomotion to 3%. Awaiting Engagement Protocol down-link.' +++

++

++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

++++

+++++++++

+++

• 2 weeks later...
++++++

+++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++

+++++++

Praxis Protocols ∙ Updating...

+++++++

+++

Inquiry Input ∙ 'Kastelan'

++++

+++++

++++++

Retrieving ∙ Primary Data

Retrieving ∙ S.T.C. Data

Retrieving ∙ Secondary Data

+++

Retrieving ∙ Supplementary Data

+++++

Collating Data ∙ Ongoing...

+++

++

Stand By...

+++

+++++

++

++++

+++++++++

++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++

+++++++

Information Exchange ∙ Update

++++++

XqBSZLF.png

+++ Compiling Data +++ Data Review ∙ Complete +++ Kastelan STC Evaluation ∙ Complete +++ Assessing Data… +++

++++++

+++

Preliminary Assessment ∙ Displaying…

+++++++

++

Optical Input Array ∙ Inferior ∙ Poor field-of-view hinders situational awareness during combat engagements.

+++

Onboard Ammunition Supply ∙ Inadequate ∙ Limited ammunition solution shortens effective ranged combat durations.

++++

Rate of Fire ∙ Average ∙ Improved projectile delivery solutions would significantly improve target saturation.

+

Close Combat Weapons ∙ Uninspired ∙ The Omnissiah demands improved combat weapons worth of this honoured chassis.

++++

+

+++

Iteration Subroutines ∙ Active

++++++

Altering STC ∙ Ongoing…

+++

+++

Improvement recommendations to follow. Standby…

++++++

++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++

++++

++++++

++

As I've mentioned in Legion Rising, yes, I do plan to offer the components I create for my Mechanicus project/s in my shop in the future, but I want to get a few other projects out of the way first. Additionally, I want to give the same treatment to the Onager kit, so I want to put all three groups of components into production at the same time. Naturally, any Atrum Laboris symbology will be removed for the production versions.

I've rambled a bit about some of the technicalities and design decisions in Legion Rising regarding these components, but I wanted to add the images over here to keep up with the ongoing documentation process. 

49CC1MY.png

I wasn’t sure which I preferred, so I did versions for both of the barrel ideas; an over-under ‘two fingers’ pew-pew style, and a tri-barrel rotary spray-n-pray version.

I've never been a big fan of the stock Phosphor Blasters provided in the kit, so I figured it wouldn't be too hard to make some bits that improve upon them. Larger onboard ammunition storage and more intimidating weapon barrels? Yes, please!

Mtt6m7s.png

I respect how faithful they’ve tried to be in creating the Kastelan model; I’ve seen the original concept sketches so I understand why it looks how it does and why it stands out in the Mechanicus line.

Again, I just can't get over the lack of peripheral vision that the stock head affords, so I wanted to create something that solved that problem. The left is more in line with the original and the right takes some inspiration from the Omnispex wargear.

• 2 weeks later...