8th edition has me excited about the GK!

Ishagu

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/26/new-warhammer-40000-primaris-space-marinesgw-homepage-post-4/

Maybe this is just speculation based on hope for us, but I noticed the Captain in Gravís Armour has a wrist mounted weapon which is considered a pistol... what are the chacnes Grey Knights get to shoot in CC with their wrist mounted weapons?

Interesting, his stats are:

M:5 WS:2+ BS:2+ S:4 T:5 W:6 A:5 Ld:9 Sv:3+

Unless he has some specifically epic lore that goes along with him, I'd now say Voldus/Grandmasters/Draigo will ALSO get WS:2+ BS:2+. That would still give Primarius Captains +1T / W / A, compared to my predicted Voldus profile stats. Not bad. Do hope Stormbolters get 3 shots and pistol-like rules, since technically you should be able to fire a wrist-mounted bolter in close combat EASIER than you would a pistol (which known rules you can).

Im also confident that our legendary Draigo is getting 6 wounds (which is what I speculated in the beginning).

That +1 T is only because he's in the Gravis Armor, though.  Not because he's Primaris.

Hmm, well that would then fall in line with an Intercessor Squads "upgrade" in comparison to a tactical SM that is, +1W / A. The Primaris Captain gets the +1T from his his gear as an alternative to how our Grandmasters get Sv:2+ from TDA, yet the Primaris Captain in the end is still +1W / A "better" than our standard chapter masters. Though I can see  Draigo up there with 6W and maybe, just maybe 5A, considering he is supposed to be that much better than our standard grandmasters.

That +1 T is only because he's in the Gravis Armor, though. Not because he's Primaris.

All of the Primaris so far are in Gravis armor. MkX Gravis.

SJ

Not the Intercessors

Edited to say: the Intercessors and Hellblasters are in Mk X. The Inceptors and Captain are in Mk X Gravis, which is a 'heavy' version that adds +1 to Toughness.

Edit 2: Also, you can see in the keyword section of the dataslates that the Inceptors and Captain have the Mk X Gravis keyword, whereas the Intercessors and Hellblasters do not.

I still fail to really see anything Primaris wise that makes me feel like Grey Knights as we know them will be any less useful. I mean that's a good thing to me.

For once I'm not seeing the latest release as the 'must have' for Astartes, but rather an option to it instead. I think this is a good design decision and Grey Knights are still looking dangerous considering their stock armament.

Those wrist stormbolters could simply add ballistic skill or something but quite frankly making them act like pistols in cc is a bit crazy on top of the power of all the force weapon options.

According to the new rules natfka leaked, assault weapons can shoot (-1 to hit) even if you advanced during the movement phase. Is this a storm bolter buff for us?

I've seen that picture myself now, definitely a buff for all of our guys, if we're trying to get close quickly, as we don't have to completely sacrifice shooting.

More good news is that Salvo is gone - our Psycannon, for example, will either move back to Assault, or switch to Rapid Fire 2 or Rapid Fire 3 weapons.

Perils of the Warp is a lot nastier, and more likely this edition.  Happens on double 1s or double 6s, and causes d3 mortal wounds to the psycher, and if he dies another d3 mortal wounds to every unit within 6".  We're going to have to bubble-wrap our Librarians from a bit of a distance from now on.  Jeez, I feel like this one is overly harsh.

I'm hoping Grey Knights get some serious Perils mitigation via Aegis.

V

Yeh I just the rules for psychic phase I think the GKs (and TS...) will be very formidable. Especially if we get DtW bonuses.

Also doesnt seem like (at least in standard play) were restricted to only casting a power once per turn

Yeh I just the rules for psychic phase I think the GKs (and TS...) will be very formidable. Especially if we get DtW bonuses.

Also doesnt seem like (at least in standard play) were restricted to only casting a power once per turn

• Yeah, no "rule of one" like AoS has, so you could have every unit cast its "Hammerhand" or whatever, no problem.  This is very good news for us, as our "routine" utility buffs will be readily available across the force.

• I expect Psychic Hoods will provide a small bonus to Deny attempts.  Probably a +1 on the roll.  This means you'll want your ML3 Librarian to be in position (within 24") to get to attempt to Deny up to 3 enemy powers with his bonus.  Then, when he's finished with his 3, if the enemy has any more powers to cast, you start using whatever nearby squad you want to use to Deny, since it won't really matter.

• If we are really lucky, Nemesis Warding Staves will also provide a Deny bonus, and it might even stack with the Psychic Hood.  If this works, then those will definitely be invaluable, too, and you'll want a couple spread around your force, particularly on units with ML 2 or ML 3 to get the most use out of them.

• Aegis, I really hope, will help protect from Perils of the Warp; we'll be way too vulnerable without it, so this is an easy fix.  

Yeah that perils is scary. Can potentially kill your librarian, half his squad and half a neighboring squad...

Happy about assault weapons! Although I think I'd prefer they make gauntlet weapons pistols like the new gravis power gauntlet thing.

I can also definitely see them doing a quick FAQ for assault weapons though, I can definitely see people saying it's -1 regardless of whether you advance or not.

It looks like existing Astartes can be upgraded to Primaris, which could account for Ancient status Primaris. The thing that I'm waiting for are Primaris Dreadnoughts, which should be Centurion/DreadKnight suits rather than actual Dreadnoughts. But who knows, GW might mess that up.

SJ

They revealed what it quickly looks like:

Pretty much a souped-up dreadnought as they are keeping it inline as a metal sarcophagus in a walking tank. Impressive looking to me especially the gun loadouts, in-turn I like how that keeps the Greater Daemon-sized exo-suit uniquely GK dreadknights!

Yeah that perils is scary. Can potentially kill your librarian, half his squad and half a neighboring squad...

Happy about assault weapons! Although I think I'd prefer they make gauntlet weapons pistols like the new gravis power gauntlet thing.

I can also definitely see them doing a quick FAQ for assault weapons though, I can definitely see people saying it's -1 regardless of whether you advance or not.

Do they really need to? It specifically says Advanced - Not moved, and they plainly differentiate advance and move =\

Those wrist stormbolters could simply add ballistic skill or something but quite frankly making them act like pistols in cc is a bit crazy on top of the power of all the force weapon options.

Hmm, so you're saying you'd prefer them say, Assault 3 with no -1 To Hit penalty after the Advance stage, as a way to differentiate them from handheld stormbolters?  

I'd much rather they act like pistols like the new super Marines power fist. Pistol 2 or 3 would be much more welcome I think

Yeah but that one on the Captain (implied to be somewhat special) has only a 12" range, and pistols in general dont have ranges longer than that. Is it worth having half the range of what we have now? 

I'd much rather they act like pistols like the new super Marines power fist. Pistol 2 or 3 would be much more welcome I think

Yeah but that one on the Captain (implied to be somewhat special) has only a 12" range, and pistols in general dont have ranges longer than that. Is it worth having half the range of what we have now? 

I would much rather prefer extra shots at 24" range (or more!) than the Pistol benefit.  We don't need help in close combat - we're fine there.  Where we need help is in thinning out enemy hordes with ranged weapons - especially in 8th, where most of those are going to get to charge and attack first, based solely on their speed.

I love the landraider. It's more valuable to other armies that can't go into Teleportation/deep strike. But it has value nonetheless.

The standard Landraider has 4 lascannon shots (which are truly deadly now and I think GK may appreciate that anti monster/anti super heavy aspect).

If you look at the Rhino, the landraider not only got better, it got cheaper.

It's also going to be very effective for steering assaults, and charging in for Overwatch for the expensive Grey Knight infantry.

Archived