8th edition has me excited about the GK!

Ishagu

I think NDK will be moved to a lower stat.. i mean T6, 6W maybe... but with the option (like ghostkeel) to play them in squads

That would be cool. Squads of NDK! Sales boost to GW as well.

I do think their save is going to be the big difference between their survivability compared to a dreadnoughts.

Very seriously doubt the 8e 40k Personal Teleporters will work anything like they do in Shadow Wars.  If they did, then that'd completely kill our "fast" attack options.  

So here's something I haven't heard anyone think about... Force Weapons. Everyone has a toughness value so can a force weapon instent death anything now? What about mass shooting psilincer? 

My guess is that Instant Death and Eternal Warrior will both go away.  Following that, I'd also guess that activating Force will simply increase the Damage that each wounding hit will do.  For example, a Nemesis Force Sword will probably do D1 normally, but would go to D3, or even D6 when Force is activated.  So, Force would no longer insta-kill stuff, but will strip off wounds very quickly when used in mass.

I love the durability of 2d6 saves, and love the nod back to my RT era. I'm hesitant about the time and pain it will take to roll individual 2d6 saves for my entire TDA army however. :/

I will embrace this, as drawn out as it may be, as I'm currently assuming this to be a buff to our TDA... unless of course Grav and Plasma type weapons have save modifiers of -6 or something crazy like that.

Well, we know that saves for TDA aren't going to be on 2d6, but we now also know that the armour save modifiers are going to be much more conservative (with Lascannons only having AP-3 now). Also, we were told that TDA would have additional special rules to make them more survivable (so either a secondary save similar to current Feel No Pain, or ignoring some levels of AP, or both!).

I wonder if this will change our tactics up a lot? Possibly allowing us to be in the open more often. One thing I have not seen is how the psychic phase will work or if it is going to change. Quite curious.

We've also been told by Pete Foley that the Psychic Phase is changing, but not yet how. That'll probably come in one of the upcoming Warhammer Community articles.

Be warned regarding teleport shunt read the rules for the personal teleporter in SWA it doesn't make for good reading if that's the new starter box

What are they? Can't DL at work. sad.png

Basically if I recall you ignore terrain.

Now while I have found there to be a lot of core mechanics that are in SW that are directly relatable in 8th, I don't think Jump Packs is one of them. I say that (guessing of course) that this is based on the fact that it's a skirmish game, on a much smaller table, and it's squad based.

But if you take SW's "Run" rule or cover rule, these actually do not affect saves, but do affect "To Hit" modifiers.

So let's say you shunt in 8th, and perhaps now you are harder to hit. If you move 12" you get a +1 to hit on your opponent, if you do a full shunt, perhaps it's +2 to hit? Just a total guess though.

+++++++++++++++++

That psychic phase is scaring me though. Two of my main armies thrive on it (in two completely different ways).

The Terminator survivability is nagging at me too. There has to be more to it than a 2+ save. (man I suck at those and really wanted 2D6!)

The Force Weapon modifier is a good thought. Again from Shadow Wars we're seeing AP is out the window and it's the same idea of just modifying your save.

++++++++++++++++

Striking first by charging is very interesting too. This means we'll be army our 'heroes' with real, iconic stuff now. Hammers, fists, etc. The way it should be!

Templates going away will make the NDK's interesting too.

I hope psychic powers are more robust and reliable, but then never OP even at its most synergised combo.

I'm not into current psychic deathstars as a playstyle, but I don't want to be at risk at having totally useless powers on a librarian I invested ML3 points, no matter how unlikely it is. I'd rather be able to build an army list around psychic powers I need, but then be at risk at melting my mind If I cast them too much, then my libbies not cast any powers because they rolled on carp ones.

I wonder how heavy incinerators will work now?

I'd guess 2d6 wounds to a target within 20".  Auto-hits, S6, AP-1 (negative 1 armor save modifier).

V

The Terminator survivability is nagging at me too. There has to be more to it than a 2+ save. (man I suck at those and really wanted 2D6!)

I'm pretty sure there is more to it, since they said there was in the article.

I wonder how heavy incinerators will work now?

I'd guess 2d6 wounds to a target within 20".  Auto-hits, S6, AP-1 (negative 1 armor save modifier).

V

I'm pretty sure there is more to it, since they said there was in the article.

Just curious. :)

I just feel like since I started playing 40K for me at least most of my armies have almost always heavy Terminator presence. Really it's like all of the iconic units. Landraiders, Dreads, Termies. They really fell by the wayside the last several editions. It would just be amazing if -all - of that was valid again. 

They did say Termies will have a survivability boost beyond the 2 Wounds.

Honestly I expect certain units and heroes will be harder to remove than the average infantry or Rhino.

Here are my predictions based on no information. I've been right in the past.

Psychic phase is going to have a lot of reworking done to it. Powers will be more balanced. I feel like they might focus more on letting you pick the powers you want, but it will be in a limited way. Perhaps let you pick your power, but you have overall less powers to compensate? Something like that. The random feel to the dice rolls on that tree is very lack luster and it makes for bad gameplay. It just feels bad when you roll and don't get the powers you need. So to that end, perhaps you can buy an upgrade that lets you pick one of the powers or opt to not buy the upgrade and roll on the chart D6.

Heavy Flamers like ours will probably be 8-12in range with S6 -1 AP D6 wounds. 

Terminators are already made stronger with 2 wounds. They get a 2+ armor save base which is pretty good. Remember that you + / - modifiers and then come to the final total if those rules from 7 carry over. So for example, if you have Termies in cover and you have a 2+ cover added to your 2+ armor. A lascanon is going to knock your save to a 3+.  We don't even know how invuln saves work. Perhaps they give you a AP buffer zone or something like that? So if you have an iron halo, that would be +2 against an - AP modifier. 

Or maybe if you choose your invuln, then you get no -AP to it, but you have to use that invuln's save. IDK!

Once again, just a prediction based on no information. 

I don't know why everyone is so happy that Destroyer weapons are gone. Because they're not. Just the name is. Because a lascannon is literally a D weapon as it is today (just without the 6 to wound buff). But now almost every army can get one, not just Eldar.

But everything else is looking crazy promising! Wonder if our weapons rules will be the same as shadow wars?

Did anybody mention no scatter Deep Strikes yet? Since scatter die have been verified as gone, and it's how it works in AoS, I can assume with great confidence we'll have no-scatter Deep Strikes now, which will make things much more fun for the Knights.

Also Cover effects Saves, not To-hit.

Which is, weird.

I disagree, the save mod represents the model managing to use cover to avoid the damage. The model shooting might have shot in the perfect spot to score a hit but it just so happens that spot was dead center of a tree trunk his target was hiding behind.

Well, going back to old Army training, I like having Cover increase your save (example, standing behind a wall offers additional protection), while Concealment would affect the enemy's To-hit (example, hiding in the bushes).

That latter makes you hard to spot, and therefore hit, but if the shot goes in the right direction doesn't offer any protection.  Whereas, the former puts some form of a barrier between you and the incoming projectile, laser, flamer, whatever, so even if they shoot right at you, the attack might not get through.

Yea I caught the no scatter and instantly thought how nice this would be especially if reserves are also modified to auto appear on any tu n after 1 or whatever.

My only hesitation is the shorter move distance for Terminators. This might make Deep striking terminators extremely difficult to ever get into CC.

Strikes, NDKs and interceptors are a different story though.

The idea of a truly ffective landraider rolling around with an assault squad is quite tempting for Termies if the move thing makes Assaul too difficult.

I don't think the 1" shorter Move characteristic for TDA will have too much of an impact.  We'll still get the full 2d6 random roll for a charge, and then a 3" pile-in if at least one model makes it.  I think we'll be fine.  And, if we don't make it close enough, at least all of our TDA will have half-decent shooting attacks to use, unlike other types of assault forces that typically sacrifice shooting for better mobility or close combat power.

Archived