hopes, dreams, and fears for sisters in 8th

micahwc

Remember that's a shooting phase rule.

if you've got seraphim and charge them in it's a long time to get from your assault phase back to you're shooting phase. That's if you don't hit or run or fallback. Getting charged and getting back to your shooting phase isn't as long though.

Don't get me wrong it's a big buff for seraphim but under the surface it's not as super amazing as you might immediately expect.

It came up in today's Warhammer Community update.

As has been said, the ability to shoot pistols in close combat is a nice enough gain for our base infantry as Battle Sisters look to be gaining an additional attack in their own turn at Strength 4 (and quite possibly with a better To Hit than their melee attacks). Seraphim obviously appreciate this too and it gives them a little bit more punch in drawn out combats. We might well be one of the armies that actually appreciates this change the most simply because Bolt Pistol attacks are generally better than what our infantry would otherwise throw out in hand to hand.

The change to Heavy weapons is a little bit unfortunate for Immolators and the Exorcist but I can see it making Multimeltas at least a little bit more palatable. They still don't feel great - although we obviously can't speak to the points costs and special rules of Retributors in 8th - but I'd certainly be more inclined to think about taking them than with their current rules.

Well I consider this a significant buff to Seraphim, so it's a win in my book! I hope you can even fire hand flamers in cc. 4d6 hits every turn? Woo!

Haha apparently giving Seraphim some unexpected love is all it takes to make me happy :D

remember these are shooting phase rules, not assault phase rules. we may still have to punch things during the assault phase before shooting them in the shooting phase if we're still locked.

True, but we can choose to stay engaged, shoot and then punch if charged instead of running away and having other units take shots. More tactical options this way.

Inferno pistol seraphim would certainly like this. And that's a good point about our troops having that stronger attack available to them. I still wouldn't want to put any sisters into combat. Unless GW decides to do something truly beautiful for us.

Hopefully vehicles have an exception to the moving and shooting penalty. Not going to affect my exorcist any. They'll park up back as always.

Twin linked on the immolators is our friend. Still dont see a reason to take heavy bolter over multimeltas.

(Momentary wishlist: sisters special rule that flamers choose to hit d6 or have flamer template available to them whenever shooting.)

Though I wouldn't be surprised if seraphim hand flamers only hit d3 times.

I wouldn't plan on charging into combat either but it's a nice counter-punch option that helps us.

Well us and any army that loves to hand pistols out like candy. I expect combat to last a lost fewer turns overall with this change.

Yeah, every Space Marine and Sister is going to be shooting bolt pistols at their enemies faces during every one of their Shooting Phases while they're locked in combat :D

But Seraphim are the only unit I know of with 2 pistols for everyone :P

Pistol rule is good...

Heavy hurting excorcists isn't great...

Still hoping for some kind of buff to then, especially since we know lascannons do d6 damage, so triple Las predators can do 3-18 damage.

You cant ask for a buff to the Exorcist when we do not even know what the stats for it are right now :)

Trying to guess I would say it's going to end up being:

d6 atk, str 8, -4 rend, 3dmg

Would basically put it in line with a tripple las predator with ours being a little bit more all or nothing. Close to same point cost and same chassis as well right now. Guessing statistics are going to be very similar as well.

I'm hoping it'll have a bit more T than a Rhino. I imagine it'll end up the same as a Predator/Vindicator.

Voldrak's estimation of the Exorcist Missile Launcher sounds about right. I hope it's something like that (though it'd probably be d3 damage)

You cant ask for a buff to the Exorcist when we do not even know what the stats for it are right now :)

Trying to guess I would say it's going to end up being:

d6 atk, str 8, -4 rend, 3dmg

Would basically put it in line with a tripple las predator with ours being a little bit more all or nothing. Close to same point cost and same chassis as well right now. Guessing statistics are going to be very similar as well.

True.

I just meant that as it stands, an excorcist is really situational vs a trick Las pred for similar points and less reliably. Although infinitely cooler and fluffier.

I can't imagine Fearless as we know it making a return, but given our (presumably maintained) easy access to Ministorum Priests I expect that we'll see Sisters being a bit more resistant to Battleshock than the norm in 8th.

Firstly, Hi! New member here, primarily because of incoming 8th ED!

My biggest hope is that they keep Bolt Pistols as standard all round - I like the idea of our Sisters being armed with short ranged weapons rather than fighting with machetes. The rule about shooting pistols in CC just makes this more thematic to me, as well as being a boost to us in the CC phase.

I would also like Celestials to change in some way to make them useful - though I would be disappointed is this was simply to make them a CC unit! 

My biggest fear is that Adepta Sororitas will be rolled into an army of the imperium, rather than a stand alone army list. We know that all armies will be supported, but that doesn't mean that each army will have its own individual list. If it does go this way, then I hope there is some formation equivalent for using purely Adepta Sororitas faction units.

I'm afraid of sisters being rolled into Armies of the Imperium too, with the (further) lack of model updates it implies, but I actually expect Games Workshop to be less merciful and have Ophelia VII nommed by tyranids (or their cultists, to add that 'edgy' "consent is appreciated but optional" vibe) or taken over by chaos to add insult to injury, along with the other convent, on Terra, to be purged for some reason or other.

That said, oblivion is better than being improved into going to war into battle lingerie that would make witch elves blush.

Anyone get the referance? Anyone? tongue.png

Unless "put out" can also refer to overdosing on something, I assume it's got something to do with libido?

But I don't think this is the thread - or indeed, the forum, since Warhammer 40.000 gives anything sexual a wide berth - to ask ourselves how sisters of battle deal with theirs.

Anyone get the referance? Anyone? tongue.png

Unless "put out" can also refer to overdosing on something, I assume it's got something to do with libido?

But I don't think this is the thread - or indeed, the forum, since Warhammer 40.000 gives anything sexual a wide berth - to ask ourselves how sisters of battle deal with theirs.

I . . . I spend so much time trying to convince people (not really on this forum) to stop making sex jokes about my Sisters, and now I've accidentally gone and made one myself?

Anyway, no, it's a line from The Princess Bride. Humperdink is trying to find this woman, it's a bit of a thing. Funny movie. Very off topic.

Firstly, Hi! New member here, primarily because of incoming 8th ED!

My biggest hope is that they keep Bolt Pistols as standard all round - I like the idea of our Sisters being armed with short ranged weapons rather than fighting with machetes. The rule about shooting pistols in CC just makes this more thematic to me, as well as being a boost to us in the CC phase.

I would also like Celestials to change in some way to make them useful - though I would be disappointed is this was simply to make them a CC unit!

My biggest fear is that Adepta Sororitas will be rolled into an army of the imperium, rather than a stand alone army list. We know that all armies will be supported, but that doesn't mean that each army will have its own individual list. If it does go this way, then I hope there is some formation equivalent for using purely Adepta Sororitas faction units.

Oh, I get to welcome 2 Sisters players in 1 day :D

Welcome to the B&C! Here's your flamer and three barrels of the Emperor's Holy Promethium. :D

I'm sure we'd all be happy to answer any questions you might have. I would also be disappointed if they dropped our bolt pistols. They will be so helpful in cc. Celestians could definitely use some help :P

While I'd like to see us stay in our own codex, even if we do end up in a combined book, chances are we'll still have enough options to run a list that's just Sisters, like with the Witch Hunters codex in 3.5E.

Sisters will likely be an "Armies of the Imperium" entry at launch in the books (I expect the Imperium is getting two sets of lists, one for Astartes, one for everyone else) but I'd be surprised if they didn't get their own codex later.

That and if we see PDFs then Sisters will likely be their own download not tied into any other army.

I wouldn't really mind getting rolled into another "witch hunters" codex.  I don't have a problem sharing a codex with inquisitors and the like... my worry is more that the flavor of the army changes.  Its kind of hard to put into words, but I hope things like our special rules and acts of faith don't come out feeling wrong.  

Overall, I am really looking forward to 8th ed.  I like a lot of the changes to the core rules, and I am really interested to see how sisters end up playing.  I am sad to see the flamer template go, but for the most part I think that with the new flamer rules we are going to still be putting out a lot of damage.  In fact, with the amount of heavy and special weapons we can run, we should be sitting in a pretty good place in 8th.

The latest white dwarf points out that sisters were first previewed July 1997 and released with the iconic John Blanche cover in August 1997 - wishlist prediction is new sisters on the anniversary!

I've got it right here - carboard cutout shrine, box of 6 sisters for £12 (flamer and power sword), and a store event for sisters vs genestealer cultists.

Archived