RSJake's Word Bearers 40k & 30k

RSJake

Hi, RSJake here.

I had been posting on Dakka for years, but I have been mostly absent from the hobby for a long time. Just when I wanted to start posting again, I find I am blocked from Dakka at work, and since at work is pretty much the only time I have time to post (before and after work of course, never during the day :wink: ), I decided to start a thread here, where I am not yet blocked. I’ve been on B&C for several years, but only to lurk until now. I should clarify what “work” means since it will come up again, I live in the Lower 48 of the USA, but I work in Alaska 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. I do most of my sculpting, converting and painting when up north as I have very little else to do before and after work.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Chaos, especially Khorne, but I got tired of painting berzerkers, and then I fell in love with the Word Bearers. And I fell hard. I decided to sell pretty much everything that couldn’t be used by WB’s or at least converted, or was already painted the wrong colors. Which will help fund the purchase of all the Horus Heresy era models you’ll be seeing eventually.

But to start things off, I want to show you the beginnings of my 40k Word Bearers army. I had some chosen, (the lame bolter ones) that I added melta barrels to and modified some of their armor so they didn’t all look like carbon copies. One of the things I hated about my Khorne army was the way I was painting them: basing red, then all of the bronze edging. What a pain. Then I was looking at these chosen, dreading painting them, and a thought hit me. It was like a revelation! Without all the burning of bushes and what-not…Anyway, I thought why not base the model in leadbelcher, and then paint the flat parts red? Wow! I know right? I know this might seem like heresy to some, but I am much better at painting the flat parts, and then going back and cleaning up the edging, so I tried one, and was blown away. I’ll show my color test model, and then I’ll show a more or less step by step. The one big issue, when I went home, I didn’t have leadbelcher, so I used Vallejo “Steel” air paint for my airbrush, which is WAY brighter. But since the majority of my army is now “steel”, I’m going with that, so they’ll be a bit brighter, but will work I think.

TLDR; I started a Word Bearers Army, this is how it’s starting:

Paint scheme test:

gallery_58368_13087_265890.jpggallery_58368_13087_1201372.jpg

The pictures are a bit washed out, the rest are better, I swear!

These 2 pictures are only the color test to see if I liked it, I did. I also have the powerfist chosen as the squad champion, the color scheme is much lighter, but I think it still looks good.

The next pictures show the progression of my painting.

Base in leadbelcher (after these test models, all are Vallejo Air Color "Steel":

gallery_58368_13087_581474.jpg

Then, Vallejo Air "Fire Red" and Zandri Dust and then Ushtabi Bone on the parchment:

gallery_58368_13087_659575.jpg

Army Painter Strong Tone wash on most of the model, Soft Tone on the parchment:

gallery_58368_13087_625903.jpg

Then I highlight the larger area of the red with Vallejo Air "Italian Red", and of course touch ups on the paint.

gallery_58368_13087_262564.jpg

And here is the early work on the Champ, you can see he is much lighter than the others.

gallery_58368_13087_497447.jpg

I have been working on these models since these pictures, but for a beginning, what do you all think?

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

i love that red

Thanks!  I assume you mean the darker red, I like it too, I'm trying to get the lighter stuff darkened up a bit without re-airbrushing my whole army.

RSJake! Great to see you back posting. Hope you're keeping well and the Word Bearers are looking sweet so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks BH!  Yeah, it's been a long time.  I haven't been completely idle, but I'm selling most things that I have completed.  Still, lots of sculpting and converting in my future!  

Edited by RSJake

Well, I do have some more pictures, this is where the Champion is currently:

gallery_58368_13087_712318.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1688830.jpg

And I have started sculpting some Word Bearers stuff onto an old metal Daemon Prince. I am going to try to make some sort of Cursed Crozius for him, but it has not been started yet.

Here is a flayed skin shoulder pad banner:

gallery_58368_13087_1073542.jpg

Here is a shoulder pad book that will soon have some flames and maybe a skull on it:

gallery_58368_13087_1706113.jpg

And here is a tabard that I am not really happy with, I'll probably re-do it:

gallery_58368_13087_601708.jpg

I have also started painting the top section of a heavily modified Soul Grinder that I will get pictures of tonight.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

Almost done with the chosen squad, still some work to do on the 2 on the left, and basing, but they're coming along.

*Edit* Question: Should there be more "Words" on them? Like on the armor and such? Or is what I have enough? I'm thinking more. I'll also be using transfers for the first time ever. But that will have to wait until later, I don't have them with me.

gallery_58368_13087_133054.jpg

Here is an early PIP on the Soul Grinder I mentioned:

gallery_58368_13087_81957.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_121374.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_70152.jpg

And also a PIP of a Chaos Biker Lord I kit-bashed.

gallery_58368_13087_50760.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_60876.jpg

So far, I like how everything is coming together. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

I think they look Word bearer-y The Soul Grinder looks interesting. Would be good to see it on its complete body and I like the way you're working the Biker Lord. I've never thought of using the Defiler plate for a bike. :thumbsup:

Well BH, if they look Word Bearer-y, I guess that's good.  ;)  So, no writing on the armor?  Or yeah.  I'm thinking some at least.  But I'll wait until I add the transfer sheet shoulder icons for that.

I only have the top part of the Grinder here, I'll bring up the bottom in a couple weeks.  

The defiler plate fits there like a charm!  It was a good thing too, because I was missing the chaos cowl for the bike, but I had the Doomrider Bolter part and needed something for the front.

Any reason you glued the melta barrels onto the ends of the bolter muzzles?  I would think they would look better if you cut the muzzle off and glued the melta part directly to the casing.

Otherwise, very nice work.  I'm painting these guys up right now, and they are a lot trickier than they look.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

Some nice stuff, do really like that kitbashed bike.

Thanks!

Any reason you glued the melta barrels onto the ends of the bolter muzzles? I would think they would look better if you cut the muzzle off and glued the melta part directly to the casing.

Otherwise, very nice work. I'm painting these guys up right now, and they are a lot trickier than they look.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

That would have worked better, as they are now kind of fragile (one popped off just this morning). Hindsight 20/20 I guess. The reason though, is I had magnets in the muzzles, and barrels so I could have them on or off, but the magnets were so small they didn't hold very well. So now they are glued. Next time I do this, and I will most likely again at some point, I'll just remove the whole bolter and replace it with a melta.

Not much to add today, Just some painting progress on the Soul Grinder. I'm not sure about the flesh color, maybe a red wash? What are your thoughts?

gallery_58368_13087_1699064.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1334089.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1531238.jpg

Well, my hitch at work is coming to a close, I leave this evening to go home. I don't do much hobby stuff apart from airbrushing when I'm home, but I'll take some pictures of my old stuff I'm selling just as a last record. I'll see you all in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

I'd have thought that a mix of extra washes to give the skin a bit more texture, reds where there are pipes, tears, welts etc, perhaps purples, blues and even yellow and greens here and there to make areas look bruised. Maybe some of the blood for the blood God effects paints around the areas where pipes sink into the flesh and the exposed spine to make it look more fresh, then the skin all inflamed to really look sore. I did this kind of thing on a helbrute, so it should work on the soul grinder.

Woah, loving the work on the soulgrinder and the chosen look especially nice!

Thank you!

I'd have thought that a mix of extra washes to give the skin a bit more texture, reds where there are pipes, tears, welts etc, perhaps purples, blues and even yellow and greens here and there to make areas look bruised. Maybe some of the blood for the blood God effects paints around the areas where pipes sink into the flesh and the exposed spine to make it look more fresh, then the skin all inflamed to really look sore. I did this kind of thing on a helbrute, so it should work on the soul grinder.

I'll try some washes when I get back in a couple weeks.  I don't have Blood for the Blood God.  You'd think being a Khorne fan, I'd have heard of it.  Is it new?  I've seen people use it on here, it looks amazing!  I'll have to hit a local store.  OK, "the" local store where I live.  Thanks!

for the soul grinder flesh I'd advise a bruised purple recess wash (veins and muscle), then overbrushing a creamy bone colour onto raised areas (dermis), then very lightly glazing a translucent layer of light gray slightly tinted with fleshtone (epidermis, ie dead skin cell layer). Pretty much paintwater consistency with the glaze; you just want to get a dulled down sheen to mute and unify the main colours with it. Not to start actually turning it gray.

Your chosen look great and the metallics seem super smooth. Did you airbrush them on?

• 2 weeks later...

Blood for the blood god is a handy tool. Definitely with picking some up. The Soul Grinder looks good so far bud but I think the washes will add the finishing touches.

As for those transfers they're for the Crimson Slaughter :thumbsup:

I forgot to pick up Blood for the Blood God, I have to write a note or something.  Thanks on the transfer identification!  I think I'm going to use them as my own chapter symbols for my 30 Word Bearers, "The Harbingers of the Grim Truth".  Still working on it...

Those chosen look great! I like the alternate head you've given to the soul grinder, looking forward to seeing more work on the daemon prince!

Thanks!  I hate leaving things stock, I like to alter things.  :)

for the soul grinder flesh I'd advise a bruised purple recess wash (veins and muscle), then overbrushing a creamy bone colour onto raised areas (dermis), then very lightly glazing a translucent layer of light gray slightly tinted with fleshtone (epidermis, ie dead skin cell layer). Pretty much paintwater consistency with the glaze; you just want to get a dulled down sheen to mute and unify the main colours with it. Not to start actually turning it gray.

Your chosen look great and the metallics seem super smooth. Did you airbrush them on?

I'll work on the skin painting, thanks for the recipe!  And thanks about the chosen!  Yes, I did airbrush the metallic paint. :)

I just got back up North to work last night, I had to change rooms, new room is a little more cramped, and the lighting is not as good, but it's closer to work, so I have more time to hobby, at lunch and before and after work.  So, not too bad.

I took a crap-ton of pictures of the stuff I'm selling on ebay, so I'll post some of them to show what I've been working on prior to Word Bearers, and as a memorial.

I don't really want to get rid of my old stuff, but the money would be nice.

I'll get those pictures up later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Well, it took a while, but I finally got my pictures downloaded. These are just what I’ve been working on the last few years, I was working on a Khorne Daemonkin army, and a Nurgle army. But those are now going to be sold to fund my Word Bearers.

Khorne CSM Squad:

gallery_58368_13151_997900.jpg

Berzerker Squad:

gallery_58368_13151_875327.jpg

Khârn:

gallery_58368_13151_1122543.jpg

World Eaters Rhino:

gallery_58368_13151_784759.jpg

Khorne Heldrake:

gallery_58368_13151_1152582.jpg

Khorne Maulerfiends:

gallery_58368_13151_1550792.jpg

gallery_58368_13151_334677.jpg

Plague Marines:

gallery_58368_13151_989101.jpg

Nurgle Terminator Squads:

gallery_58368_13151_36061.jpg

gallery_58368_13151_592507.jpg

I also brought up the chassis for the Soul Grinder. Still working on more washes and colors, we’ll see how that turns out.

gallery_58368_13087_1544196.jpg

I've done some more with the Soul Grinder...It's coming along, but I have been busy at work, and too exhausted at night to do much.

I have started adding flesh and muscles to the chassis, Soul Grinder fashion:

gallery_58368_13087_944110.jpg

And I'm just about happy with the way the daemon flesh looks: (a few days old)

gallery_58368_13087_1259112.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1478981.jpg

Just about done with the upper portion of the Soul Grinder. A few more things to add now that I see these close-up pictures, but I'm pretty happy with it. I even tried OSL for I think the first time!(took these this morning)

gallery_58368_13087_610487.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1816924.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_1231428.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_829118.jpg

gallery_58368_13087_45254.jpg

Let me know what you think!

RSJake