RSJake's Word Bearers 40k & 30k

RSJake

So, I added transfers to my chosen squad, I am still undecided on if I like them or not. Don't get me wrong, there's no way I could get that detailed freehand, but I'm not sure if I like the transfers.

gallery_58368_13087_763786.jpg

and the whole squad:

gallery_58368_13087_1661842.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Also, I have been working on my first 30k Model! It's a chaplain, of course. :biggrin.: Some special model from somewhere, but but I got a cheap recast. I got what I paid for, but I'm not going to say I regret the purchase.

I think the chaplain is actually 40k, or at least late 30k time-wise, so I have to alter a few things since my 30k Word Bearers army will be based in the early Heresy time-frame. I replaced the storm bolter with a combi-bolter, and I removed the Crux Terminatus. I changed the crozious because I have seen this one used, and I like it very much! I added fire coming from it, because, why not?

gallery_58368_13170_200027.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_389944.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_317647.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_494314.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1206550.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_874620.jpg

Other than a few changes, I didn't do much to him, I thought he was pretty awesome as is.

Now for a question: What color should he be? My army, like I said before, is going to be early heresy, so a majority of the army will be in MkIII armor, painted gray, and a smaller portion, more elite units, will be in MkIV, painted red. So, I am leaning towards black for the chaplain, but I am a novice in the 30k lore, so any illumination you guys can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

Word Bearer Chaplains were indeed black, and he looks great! Can't wait to see him painted.

Thanks!  It'll be a while before he's painted, but he'll get there.

Chaplain looks good, especially that mace.

Thanks!  I really like this chaplain model, I saw it and had to have it.  :)

Wow that flame looks fantastic, some top notch sculpting!

Thank you very much!  I have not sculpted many flames, and was kind of worried how it would come out.  I'm happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all! I am back at work.

I have been focusing on my 30k army at the moment. Aside from the Termi Chaplain, which has been base coated, but nothing more yet, I am also working on a Mk III Power Armored Chaplain. I am trying to get the pose I want down, let me know what you think.

gallery_58368_13170_837265.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_586309.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_468173.jpg

Also, I want a Mk IV Armored HQ, not sure if I want another Chaplain, or a Diabolist. Anyone have suggestions as to what is better/cooler?

Also, I am trying to decide between a Power Sword and Bolt Pistol, or a Power Fist and Plasma Pistol. Again, suggestions?

gallery_58368_13170_1411508.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_78899.jpg

Either way, I started on the "artificer armor", with runes and star charts on the chest plate. I plan on much more, but I don't want to get fingerprints in the uncured parts.

gallery_58368_13170_882934.jpg

Once it's fully cured, I will sand it down to give it more of a clean look.

Thanks for stopping by, let me know what you think!

RSJake

Nice sculpting on the breastplate.

Liking the Chaplain's pose, but perhaps he could do to be holding the mace further down the haft?

Thanks!  After I sanded it, it looks even better, I'll take more pics later today.

I was actually thinking of shortening the bottom of the haft.  As it is, he might hit himself in the nards (do Space Marines have nards?)

OK, progress is kind of slow, especially since I'm working on 2 HQ at once, but there is at least progress.

I have decided to for sure make the Mk IV armored guy a Diabolist, and I'll just keep the Bolt Pistol and sword since the arms match the armor. I am slowly "etching" the armor one area at a time, and adding devotional parchments as I go. The sword is super thin, I am amazed it hasn't broken off yet. So I added a metal wire support. I'll sculpt over the wire, making the whole thing thicker.

gallery_58368_13170_605875.jpg

As Pearson73 suggested, I cut off the bottom of the haft of the maul (crozious?) I have also filled in the gaps on the arms. The arms are still removable so I can decorate and paint easier.

gallery_58368_13170_80077.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_429208.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_387058.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1672944.jpg

Let me know what you think,

RSJake

The Diabolist's going to look great when all done.

The adjustment to the Chaplain works nicely and the shoulder pads look spot on too, however I wonder if the helm is lacking something? It just doesn't scream 'character' to me, perhaps a crest could remedy this? Alternatively I think runes/dark script could look fantastic on the more broad surface that the MKIII helm offers, so when painted up (or given transfers) his status would be more apparent?

The adjustment to the Chaplain works nicely and the shoulder pads look spot on too, however I wonder if the helm is lacking something? It just doesn't scream 'character' to me, perhaps a crest could remedy this? Alternatively I think runes/dark script could look fantastic on the more broad surface that the MKIII helm offers, so when painted up (or given transfers) his status would be more apparent?

Are you spying on me?  Hahaha!  I was just adding some runes to the Chaplain's chest plate at lunch, and afterward, I was staring at the helmet thinking it needed something to make it pop.  I think I could cover the flat upper part of the helm with runes.  I plan on painting the Chaplain black, the upper helm and faceplate will be white, like a skull.  When I'm done it should look sufficiently "character" like. Hopefully.

I would like to add some detail to the arms and legs, but I am at a loss as to what to put there that wouldn't take away from the detail of the plain armor.

I am not a huge fan of the crests, maybe for squad leaders and captains, but I'll try to keep them at a minimum.

Once my lunch-time work cures, I'll take some more pictures.  

Thanks a bunch for the comments!  Having an interest in my projects really motivates me!

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

OK, first off, I wanted to show the work on the first of the Diabolist's shoulder plate.

gallery_58368_13170_116836.jpg

I have the second one done now too, but no pictures. I was also working on the sword, but I messed it up. If I can't fix it, I might instead use one of the daemon axes from the AoS Khorne models. Not sure which set I have at home, but it has cool swords and axes. And I think it will be a nice tie-in to how the Diabolist is turning to chaos.

As for the Chaplain, I am super excited about how it's coming along! Here is the chest plate as of yesterday:

gallery_58368_13170_645385.jpg

And here it is with a flaming book:

gallery_58368_13170_800306.jpg

And here is how Pearson73's suggestion for the helmet turned out!

gallery_58368_13170_648012.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_370030.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_434330.jpg

I am really happy with how it turned out.

Still lots to do with the chaplain, but it's coming together.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Are you spying on me?  Hahaha!  I was just adding some runes to the Chaplain's chest plate at lunch, and afterward, I was staring at the helmet thinking it needed something to make it pop.  I think I could cover the flat upper part of the helm with runes.  I plan on painting the Chaplain black, the upper helm and faceplate will be white, like a skull.  When I'm done it should look sufficiently "character" like. Hopefully.

I would like to add some detail to the arms and legs, but I am at a loss as to what to put there that wouldn't take away from the detail of the plain armor.

I am not a huge fan of the crests, maybe for squad leaders and captains, but I'll try to keep them at a minimum.

Once my lunch-time work cures, I'll take some more pictures.  

Thanks a bunch for the comments!  Having an interest in my projects really motivates me!

RSJake

Haha, great minds and all... :wink:

I know what you mean with the motivation, having the forum as a sounding board is so helpful as you can pick up and get thoughts on loads of new ideas.

All this detailing is really adding a lot to these guys, really nicely done too given the small scale of it. The proposed paint scheme for the Chaplain sounds like it'll look really distinctive and help make him stand out as well.

Haha, great minds and all... :wink:

I know what you mean with the motivation, having the forum as a sounding board is so helpful as you can pick up and get thoughts on loads of new ideas.

All this detailing is really adding a lot to these guys, really nicely done too given the small scale of it. The proposed paint scheme for the Chaplain sounds like it'll look really distinctive and help make him stand out as well.

Great minds indeed!  There are so many threads with amazing inspiration here!

Yeah, I haven't done this much sculpting on models in a long time.  It's good.  I can't wait to get some paint on these guys.

Gorgeous Chaplain! Loving all your intricate runes too!

Thank you very much!  Hopefully be ready for paint soon.

I have a few more things to add to the Chaplain, but I will have to wait to add the axe to the Diabolist.  I definitely messed up the sword too much, but I like the idea of the axe better anyway.

I need to start on an actual tactical squad soon too.  So much to do!

RSJake

Loving the sculpting!

Thank you! Visit back from time to time, there will be more. :)

That is some awesome sculpting! What sort of putty is that, and are you using metal tools? Looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you too! The putty I use is ProCreate. It behaves different than Green Stuff, which I have used, but prefer PreCreate. Another poster on B&C mixes their GS with Milliput, which I tried out on the Soul Grinder earlier. I like it for larger projects, but I like the texture and sculptiblility(?) of ProCreate the best for smaller projects.

As for tools, I use a small metal curved spoon-like blade for the majority of my sculpting, and the round cup Clay Shaper (extra firm) for smoothing out. The smaller round shapes in the star charts are made with the pencil end of mechanical pencils (lead removed of course).

Again, thanks for your comments!

I didn't do much last night, but tacked together the Chaplain and Diabolist to see what they'll look like when done:

gallery_58368_13170_739664.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_378217.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_905384.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_571939.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_301326.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_122163.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_203185.jpg

Not bad. Still some stuff to add, but they're coming along nicely. I chose that particular head for the Diabolist because I want him to look like he's tormented and in pain, I think it conveys that fairly well.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

I am just about done painting my Terminator Chaplain, just need to do some touch-ups, and finish the oath parchments, Maybe some transfers, then I need to base him, but I am not sure yet what direction I want to go with basing my 30k Army. I usually do a gray barren rocky landscape theme for my chaos army, but I kind of want the 30k version to be different. Any suggestions that are fairly quick and easy?

Anyway, on to the pictures!

gallery_58368_13170_1695518.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_504252.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_163496.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_512578.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_861720.jpg

I have never painted black armor before, I watched some videos on how to highlight it with gray, but it makes me nervous. I was also nervous about painting the fire, but I think i came out ok. I might try some highlights on the black armor, we'll see, I'd hate to ruin what I have so far.

Let me know what you think, and any suggestions for basing.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

That chaplain looks ace!

Thank you!

I added a bit more detail to the Diabolist, I think he's just about done. Aside from the Daemon Axe I plan to give him.

gallery_58368_13170_743046.jpg

And I added some flames to the Mk III Chaplain's Maul, and added the front portion of a tabard. I'll finish the back part, and maybe ad some chain and a skull to the front of the tabard, then I think he might be done too.

gallery_58368_13170_397293.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1400159.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_665811.jpg

I will be starting on an actual squad of marines in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

Paintwork on those flames looks good.

Chain and skull will really bring the Chaplain together, his helmet's looking spot on too.

Thanks!

I had to re-do the tabard, it didn't look right, but the second attempt I think hit the nail on the head.

gallery_58368_13170_806141.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_742296.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_411435.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_108050.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_763295.jpg

I just need to sculpt a small skull, and I'll be done with this guy.

I am really excited about a purchase I made yesterday! I bought Green Stuff World's Runic Green Stuff Rolling pin!

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-rolling-pins/220-Rolling-Pin-Hobby-Roller-Runic.html

It's more "celtic" than I was looking for, but I can just add basing material over those parts. The rest of it looks great! I can't wait!

I've been doing some soul searching and I don't think I'll be able to keep up with a 30k army, a 40k army and a small Daemon army. So I thin the 40k army is going to have to go.

I currently have all of my 40k army based in silver, I don't think that will sell very well, so I'll re-paint them in gray, and put them on ebay. I won't get rid of everything, because I'll be able to use my 30k Word Bearers as 40k Chaos Space marines, but I'll have to keep some things, like the possessed, because the Gal Vorbak are too large to be possessed. But for the most part, I think everything else will translate just fine.

Anyway, just talking through my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake