The Order of the Black Iris

CrusherJoe

I like the color scheme. This looks promising.

Thank you! It's based loosely (very loosely) on Georgia O'Keefe's Black Iris II (hence the name). Nice and monochromatic with hints of purple and pink.

Black Iris Palette

(No, really, all the grays...)

Edited by CrusherJoe

Nov. I like what you've done with the flyer

. How'd you get that patterning into it?

I did what every good hobbyist does -- I cheated!

I sourced these little beauties from Hobby Lobby:

Fleur1

They're cheap and easily available (gotta love that "40% off one item in the store coupon" you can get on your phone, and use it once a day, every day). They're considered "brads" and are in the "Papercrafting" section. They have these flexible metal clasps:

Fleur2

They're easily removed with wire cutters:

Fleur3

Once that's done, just sand the (crappy) finish off:

Fleur4

...then prime and paint.

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, update time!

The Order of the Black Iris made its debut on the tabletop this weekend at Alamo GT in my Castellans of the Imperium formation.

Let's take a look:

20170518 173424

20170518 183615

On WIP bases:

20170518 191223

And, my favorite, what I call the "family photo":

Family Photo

Have I mentioned that the War Maidens are very tiny, very small, very detailed models? I'm pretty sure I've permanently damaged my eyesight painting these...

Edited by CrusherJoe

I'd also like to take a moment to reflect on my list for Alamo GT. I called it "Sevrin <3 Celestine" because I took Sevrin Loth to run in the 'star with Celestine (because fishing for Invis is for suckers). My gf asked me about Sevrin: "What's he going to do?" I replied, "Why, die gloriously in defense of his love, Celestine."

Last game of the tournament, my opponent (also playing Celestine, go figure, I played 3/5 games against Celestine....I really hope she becomes Sisters-only in 8th, but I digress) drops the orbital strike on the 'star, right on top of Sevrin, direct hit, rolled 10 wounds. I'd powered up his 2++ armour, and (for various reasons, mainly because Nope Girls) decided to take all 10 on Sevrin....I didn't fail until the 10th roll. On the way home, one of my friends said, "Hell yeah, he said, 'I got this!' and held back the beam with his hand until the very end!" 

Now THAT'S what I call a glorious death in defense of your love. :thumbsup:

Edited by CrusherJoe

freaking witch.

:tongue.: (though to be fair, Celestine is hardly better than a witch, going by her current rules; should probably just nuke them both . . . )

(and Celextine x Greyfax is a far superior ship :P) 

Edited by Servant of Dante

• 2 months later...

WIP/Progress time again! This time I'm working on a Repressor, thought I would post progress pics...

Repressor 1 WIP 1

Repressor 1 WIP 2

Repressor 1 WIP 3

Repressor 1 WIP 4

Repressor 1 WIP 5

...I finally got my masking technique for the airbrush into a decent place, much less touch-up required now. I also switched to Vallejo Model Air "Panzer Dark Grey" (The Model Air equivalent of Model Color Grey-Black ) because trying to run the Model Color version through the airbrush was painful. No matter how much thinning I did, it kept clogging up.

Anyway, more soon.

Thank you! I've had this color scheme floating around in my head since 2009 -- I'm just happy to finally be able to (somewhat) do it justice. 

Yellow and blue sounds good, too. Nice and complimentary. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Amusing conversation between me and the Girlfriend this afternoon:

GF: What are you going to do this afternoon?

Me: Fire up the airbrush and get some girls wet...

GF: Wut

Me: ...with paint.

GF: Aaaaah, good.

Impressive bases, but I doubt the Sisters will leave the ritual circles intact, due to the danger they may serve as traps. (See the 'Gaunt's Ghosts' novel 'Blood Pact', in which a symbol, carved in the doorway, ends up infecting those who step over it with a death world disease that kills in seconds.) Will you blacken the ritual circles to show the Sisters attempted to erase the blasphemous symbols with their flamers?

Okay, not strictly Sisters...but the first conscript squad (they're too cheap to pass up, and this is for tournament play). Monday morning these guys were all a different color (I bought them used from a friend). The second squad of 20 is about 50% done -- this has been an exercise in speed painting (not something I normally do). So, yeah, they're messy, and they're going to die quickly in service to both Celestine and Bobby G. *shrugs*

Purple Helmeted Love Warriors 1

The flash did...ugh...atrocious things to this pic, I swear they look better in person. You get the idea that I'm using the same color palette so they match my Sisters.

Also: this gives me a chance to call them my...

...waaaaaait for it...

...Purple-Helmeted Love Warriors.

You know...because conscripts are d:censored:s.