The Order of the Black Iris

CrusherJoe

Does your Order have an Iron Hands-like attitude towards the conscripts, i.e., "You [conscripts] are here to fight and die, tying down the enemy defenders while the REAL SOLDIERS [sisters of the Order] do what is necessary"? (See 'Wrath of Iron' for a clear understanding of relationships between the Iron Hands and their allies.)

No offence intended if that's not the case. I just thought gunships and battle tanks are more critical additions to the Sisters' armory, and had trouble fitting in conscripts who are NOT there as meat shields.

I have really got to stop talking myself into list changes two weeks out from a GT...

This is Saturday's project, almost completed:

Saturday's Project

Flamer Doms excel at killing Tunits (where x<=3) but it just doesn't cut it against Primaris marines in cover. So it's time to swap them out for their heavy flamer totin' Retributor kin. I'm hoping they'll be better in a Repressor (which, truthfully, everything is better in a Repressor).

Edited by CrusherJoe

I like you're bases. It just hammers it home for me that i need to upgrade my base game.

Thank you!

Bases make such a difference to me! To me a model isn't done until it's on a good base. Now there's levels to that of course. For the 40 self-propelled sandbags conscripts I just finished that meant topping each base with Liquitex modeling paste to give it some texture, some paint, wash, drybrush, minimal flocking, painting the base "ring" black and calling it done.

But my girls deserve better, and so they get much better. :)

The Repressor is, in my opinion, the best transport in the game:

Repressor 1, almost done

Gah, the camera catches every flaw and magnifies it -- at "tabletop distance" it looks way better than this, really, it does!

<rant_mode>

The amount of sheer misery that went into making this model astounds me. Heat guns. Bar clamps. Sanding blocks. Dremel. It's no wonder they're out of stock at Forge World -- they're probably deeply ashamed of just how bad this model really is. It's bad, y'all...just awful. 

If I had it to do over again I'd get one of those Repressor kits you can order from Shapeways I saw advertised in the forum. The FW ones (even ones from quality recasters, because you can't cast gold from crap) can suck it.

</rant_mode>

Repressors are so sexy.  I would love a pair of them with Dominions inside.  Advance for the scout move, advance again, and unleash the fire/melta while still safe inside.

I promised to myself that I'd never force another Rhino on my painting table, but I think I could make an exception for these beauties.  That pile of 50 or so metal sisters I've had since 2nd edition gotta get assembled at some point!

The hobby train ain't got no brakes this week y'all, Iron Halo prep continues...

First off, the transports I'll be taking -- call it a Sororitas tank family portrait. Taken especially for those wondering where the dozer blades were on my Repressors:

Sister Transports

Next up, my solution for needing more Sisters with strom bolters:

SB Sisters

SB Sisters View 2

Yes, I know, technically they're combi-bolters (and from the Calth set) but they fit, and it's obvious what they're supposed to be, and oddly enough they fit the Sororitas aesthetic. I call it a "win-win".

Finally...while these aren't for my girls (I have 3 devastator squads that need to be re-based on 32s) I made these out of 32mm bases, Evergreen Scale Models tiles, pipes, and i-beams; Liquitex modeling paste and Golden coarse pumice gel. Yesterday. All in one go. Start to finish, maybe 6 hours of total time? I dunno...it gets hazy towards the end.

Bases

I'm attempting to mimic a style of bases called "Battlefield of Thran", made by a company called Iron Halo that appears to be out of business these days. You can see them here if you're interested. I think I did okay.

Wow...managed to put the paint on the last dev squad yesterday evening and load everything up in the PACK 720 -- The Order of the Black Iris (with Ultramarine allies -- the list is named "Celestine less-than-three Bobby G" after all) is going to Iron Halo GT (we're driving up today, it's a 9 hour drive). It's a good roooooad trip!

I hope to get some pics -- there's something like 100 players, It's gonna to be a rockin' weekend!