We March for Macragge, and for Calth!

"Lorgar of Colchis. You may consider the following.

One: I entierly withdraw my previous offer of solemn ceasefire. It is cancelled, and will not be made again, to you or to any of other of your motherless bastards.

Two: you are no longer any brother of mine. I will find you, I will kill you, and I will hurl your toxic corpse into hell's mouth."

-Roboute Guilliman, at the Battle of Calth - Know No Fear

This thread will serve to document the trials and tribulations that await me as I take a hand at converting truescale marines with better proportions, while respecting the armour marks. This means I'll be cutting up existing models and adjusting shins, tighs, arms, torsos and more.

What can you expect from this thread? Lots of failed attempts I am sure, and hopefully some success. I am hoping to put out 1-2 marines a week, as the process requires a maximum amount of hacking and slashing qnd is probably going to be tedious  and grueling work. I've also amassed a serious about of really cool bits to use for this project to make it as unique and flavourful as possible.

Why Ultramarines? As a staunch hater of the 40k Ultramarine Mary Sue writing style, I really dig the their attitude and motivations in the Horus Heresy. They possessess great characterful personalities amongst their ranks, with the likes of Aeonid Thiel and his red marked, Remus Venatus and the resolute defense of Calth and Lucretious Corvo for being a likeable, bastardly good line captain who knows his place and purpose. Also, romans in space is always something that pulls at my heart string; Veni, Vidi, Vici. Everytime they get knocked down, they get back up, they are unyielding. Every inch of ground that is taking from the sons of Ultramar is paid in blood at a high price. There is nobility in this.

And thus the work begings, and soon the pictures will flooooooooow!

The results of the first batch of attempts are in, after a few hours of genuine blood and sweat. I am overall quite happy with the result, but I feel like he might need a bulking up of the legs at this point, as the plastic MK3 is a bit smaller than the FW kits. This is a prototype, so I haven't spent too much time on polishing the finish.

gallery_71633_13093_19378.jpg

gallery_71633_13093_7272.jpg

gallery_71633_13093_5166.jpg

gallery_71633_13093_20203.jpg

Scale comparison to FW resin MK3

gallery_71633_13093_48011.jpg

If you're going to do a neckring like that, try and make it a Mk VIII/ Polux style gorget maybe? Depends on what the Helmet allow I guess.

I like where your head is at. Maybe leave the shoulders as is. I've always felt like pauldrons didn't need true scaling.

The legs look perfect though.

I will definitely try smaller shoulderpads for the next one. I am experimenting with green stuff to slightly increase with width of the leg plates, we'll see how that goes.

tumblr_o25znfWRQW1qh0rtuo1_500.jpg

Goin In

All safeties are off!

If you're going to do a neckring like that, try and make it a Mk VIII/ Polux style gorget maybe? Depends on what the Helmet allow I guess.

Yeah, this is just a placeholder to see how high the head needs to be, I will move it forward a bit so the helm drops a tiny bit behind. MKIII helmets are not gorget friendly with their protruding chins.

Yeah, I'd push the head down a bit - his neck looks too long atm. Everything else is looking good though! I'll be keeping an eye on this thumbsup.gif

Thanks! going to try and improve this some more tonight.

Looking good so far. I like your technique for extending the torso. It's the same I have used on my MkIII guys and in my opinion it gives the models a much better overall and cohesive look, where you don't have to hide any spots with pouches or grenades, compared to simply putting a spacer underneath. Lengthening the breastplate downwards with some green stuff could be a fine idea as well.

I agree that the shoulder pads don't need much bulking up, as they don't look out of place even on bigger marines. But there's nothing wrong with experimenting a bit. smile.png

Lastly, if you can pull off building up the thighs, go for it. It probably helps to wait with attaching the groin plate when doing so, as it gives you more space to work with. I think the lower legs are good as they are.

Update #2!

I was going to use the custode shield as it is, but I felt it need a little something to feel like it belongs to the 500 worlds. So I cut out the feathers surrounding the middle ring, and made the "U" symbole with green stuff for the wings. Last bit was opening the hole so it doesn't look like an "O".

gallery_71633_13093_39468.jpg

The only missing item is a pistol at the hip, it will be added once the greenstuff of the legs dries. I am really happy with the fast GS job I did here just to get an idea, I will smooth it out from here on out. I think bulking up the legs lets it keep that MKIII armour feel. The gladius is made of a shortened Sentinel blade from custodes, I really like how it looks, very roman with the stubby hilt.

gallery_71633_13093_25156.jpg

gallery_71633_13093_49320.jpg

gallery_71633_13093_44456.jpg

I will play around with the gorget a bit, see how I can improve it. Any thoughts or considerations? I am all ears!

Looking good so far. I like your technique for extending the torso. It's the same I have used on my MkIII guys and in my opinion it gives the models a much better overall and cohesive look, where you don't have to hide any spots with pouches or grenades, compared to simply putting a spacer underneath. Lengthening the breastplate downwards with some green stuff could be a fine idea as well.

I agree that the shoulder pads don't need much bulking up, as they don't look out of place even on bigger marines. But there's nothing wrong with experimenting a bit. smile.png

Lastly, if you can pull off building up the thighs, go for it. It probably helps to wait with attaching the groin plate when doing so, as it gives you more space to work with. I think the lower legs are good as they are.

I added pouches and grenades, the way he is built he actually has space for all that stuff now. Pistol will join in when the hip dries.

I will try plain shoulders nex round. I will also put a primer on this one, the white ring makes it look bigger than it is I think. Let me know what you think of my leg bulking job ;)

Archived