Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= Chronicles of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword =][=

Legio Bolter & Chainsword Chronicles of the Legio Legio mini-me

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Chronicles of the Legio

Which is your favorite submission?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

gallery_26_548_369474.png
The Legio Bolter & Chainsword needs you!

Since the days of the 2nd Founding, bonds of brotherhood have linked the Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes, eventually leading to the establishment of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword. In the thousands of years of the Legio's existence, many battle-brothers have earned their place in the Liber Honorum. Alongside these heroes, many other servants of the Imperium have stood shoulder to shoulder with the Adeptus Astartes in service to Mankind. Countless are the foes that these heroes of the Imperium have fought, most hated of which have been the renegades and traitors who have turned their backs upon the Emperor's Will and fallen to the Fell Powers.

gallery_26_548_53415.png
You are challenged to assemble and paint an individual model for submission to the Chronicles of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword. The model may be from any faction covered here at the Bolter & Chainsword and will fall into one of three categories:

Hero of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword - This is a Space Marine that serves with the Legio Bolter & Chainsword at some point. The model might be painted as if prior to serving (i.e., pure Space Marine from his parent Chapter - no Legio B&C markings), currently serving with the Legio or a veteran of the Legio that has returned to his parent Chapter (i.e., normal parent Chapter livery, but with Legio B&C markings somewhere), or as a permanent member on the Mentor cadres (i.e., in Legio B&C colors with their parent Chapter markings). These distinctions can be found here and here. Bonus points will be awarded if an honour shield is submitted.

Ally of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword - This is some other model from a Forces of the Imperium faction. The model should be portrayed as it was at a time when the ally fought alongside battle-brothers of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword.

Enemy of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword - This is some model from a Chaos faction (Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Lost and the Damned). There is no "anti-Legio" or similar Chaos equivalent, but the Red Corsairs of Huron Blackheart are a comparable force that the Legio has confronted on multiple occasions.

The intent is that your model should be a character type of model, whether a character for standard Warhammer 40,000 (e.g., an HQ character, a squad leader, or similar) or a kill team Leader (either Shadow War: Armageddon or Kill Team games). Dreadnoughts are acceptable, but not other vehicles such as Imperial Knights. If in doubt, ask.

Dumb questions get a power finger poke in the eye (Kurgan is hogging the power mackerel).

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

At least one image of your finished miniature in a file type that can be posted here at the Bolter & Chainsword (preferably .png or .jpg). Image should be no larger than 1 MB in size. Miniature should fill 75% of the vertical space (please crop your image(s) to reduce file size).

Name of character, as well as their parent organization.

A brief description of the character and their actions with the Legio Bolter & Chainsword (at least 300 words, but no more than 3,000 words). A Space Marine's background should focus on their service with the Legio; an ally's background should focus on the event(s) during which they fought alongside battle-brothers of the Legio; an enemy's background should focus on the event(s) during which they fought against the Legio.

Amplifying guidance/advice can be found here.

One entry per member (so make it a good one).

Completed submissions should be e-mailed to Brother Tyler at: sml_gallery_26_548_3422.png

Deadline for submissions is 30 June, 2017 midnight PST.

Please do not post anything here in the public forums or in your gallery. Don't make any pledges or otherwise give the identity of your character away. We will be selecting the winners anonymously (we'll describe how that will work later).

Once the results are announced, you can post full information, WIPs, etc. about your minis for everyone to comment on.

The winners will have eternal glory. And maybe some special prizes that will be announced later.

=][= UPDATE =][=

You can see the submissions here.

Edited by Brother Tyler, 27 October 2017 - 11:21 AM.
Link to submissions added

• Orion, Brother Argent, Dosjetka and 8 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

I imagine, given the talent of many of our members here, this might be a tough competition (especially if the GBBO is anything to judge by). 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Brother Argent

Brother Argent

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,896 posts
  • Faction: Currently - Iron Heralds

Interesting... very interesting...

Captain Titus

Captain Titus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts
  • Faction: Shields of Caliban

I have one question for a Legio ally, do I have to use a citadel miniature as the base for conversions or are we able to use parts from 3rd party suppliers?

I have a serious problem with buying Warhammer, putting it in a box and never looking at it until the holidays arrive.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

I have one question for a Legio ally, do I have to use a citadel miniature as the base for conversions or are we able to use parts from 3rd party suppliers?

As long as it recognizably fits into the 40K universe, it should be fine. If you have specific questions, PM one of the Moderators or Admins.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
Back in 2003 we ran our first ever "Legio Mini-Me" competition. You can see the submissions here. You can also see a lot of other Legio mini-mes that have been created over the years here.

Some food for thought...

One discussion we had awhile ago among the moderati was in what the distinctive aesthetics of the Legio are. For example, we might point to robes as the recognizable characteristic of the Unforgiven Chapters, pelts and teeth as the Space Wolves', etc. Ultimately, we decided that there aren't really distinctive "Legio" elements, except for the color scheme and the incorporation of three things:
  • Legio badge (nominally the skull, occasionally with the red "X" and/or the crossed bones and/or the red/white/black of the great companies)
  • Inquisition symbol (should be used sparingly - not on every battle-brother)
  • black and white checkerboard pattern (usually on the right knee/lower leg/foot; again, sparingly - not every battle-brother has this marking)
Aside from those elements, a Legio force is a cosmopolitan example where each battle-brother is unique, showing the markings of his parent Chapter. So a Salamanders battle-brother will look like a Legio battle-brother with some hammer and flame markings while a Crimson Fists battle-brother will look like a Legio battle-brother with the left hand, and possibly the right, in crimson; etc.

Essentially, the three elements I listed will be the unifying visual cues while each battle-brother will be unique.

This is further enhanced by the possibility of a "Legio" force retaining its parent Chapter scheme because the detachment is training with the Legio temporarily. In this case, a few of the battle-brothers will look like normal Legio battle-brothers while the rest of the force will look like, say, the Knights of Gryphone, only with the Legio badge added somewhere. Such a force might even consist of multiple Chapters, so you might see several squads in the colors of the Novamarines and several other squads in the colors of the Fire Angels.

As far as a "Legio shoulder pad" goes, lots of members use the various Deathwatch pads, which is perfectly fine. You'll see a lot of examples of that practice in the 2003 gallery, largely because the original Deathwatch shoulder pads had just been released. You aren't limited to those shoulder pads, however. I've seen members use various other skull shoulder pads (the Death Company have many) as well as freehand designs (as in this crappy image of Chief Librarian Kezef). You can also sculpt your own badge, as I did in the TDA version of my original mini-me (he's still around somewhere). Of course, if you're painting a Legio battle-brother that retains his parent Chapter's colors, you'll use that shoulder pad.

Our original left shoulder pad was an off-white, as seen in my original mini-me (he's no longer with us, thanks to a hyperactive cat who, too, is no longer with us).

So a Legio force has lots of room for variation, giving you plenty of room for interpretation and creativity.

As far as Allies and Enemies go, you can do whatever you want. There isn't a Legio equivalent for those factions, though we have targeted the Red Corsairs as the Chaos Space Marine counterpart. I'll be up front in admitting that we're hoping for many many more Legio submissions than Allies/Enemies, but we want the challenge to be open to everyone, so we're including Allies/Enemies for those of you who, shockingly, might not want to paint a Space Marine for some reason.

Third party minis/bits are allowed, but the end result should recognizably fit into the game setting. If you have a specific question and don't want to give it away to everyone else, send me a PM or e-mail.
  • Orion, Dosjetka and Kizzdougs like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Evz

Evz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 189 posts
  • Faction: Void Vultures

Definitely going to be trying my hand at this!!

Orion

Orion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,784 posts

Please do not post anything here in the public forums or in your gallery. Don't make any pledges or otherwise give the identity of your character away. 

jawdrop.gif  This is all I can say. thumbsup.gif  Let the great work begin...ph34r.png

...and with some inspiration from BLOODSAINT...

med_gallery_8429_13089_62705.png

Edited by Rashbold, 30 April 2017 - 10:58 PM.

• Servant of Dante likes this

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

I presume that the enemies and allies must still be b&c friendly (i.e. the only good xenos is a dead decorative xenos?)

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts

Yes, all minis submitted must be for factions covered here at the B&C (i.e., those with their own forums).

Kizzdougs

Kizzdougs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,164 posts
  • Faction: III Legion

Awesome! I've wanted to paint up a B&C marine for a long time. Now I just need to pick a parent Chapter... which is difficult considering I don't have a favourite 40k Chapter...

The Sekhmet plus Emperor's Children and general 30k | Word Bearers plus general 40k | Instagram: @raptorimperialis

ETL_VI_Badge_Artisan_Master.jpg ETL_2014_Badge_V2_11_Honour.jpg ETL_Medal_06.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_3130.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.png ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif ETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

gallery_11038_675_366.png

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
With the release of the Primaris Space Marines, the deadline for the challenge has been extended to 30 June.

Members that have already submitted entries may submit replacements, if desired (or they may put more work into their existing entries).
  • Orion and Olis like this

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
Two weeks remain and the Dark Imperium boxed set will be available tomorrow. I hope to see a lot more submissions, both Primaris Space Marines and legacy.

Brother Argent

Brother Argent

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,896 posts

Out of curiosity, Brother Tyler, how many entries have you received as of yet?  I am looking forward to seeing some of the imaginative entries that people here will come up with.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts

Not many - only 3 so far. sad.png

Brother Argent

Brother Argent

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,896 posts

Hmmm.... Well I have to stick to my original plan and submit something myself.  I will go dry to get some Liberites to do the same.  Three entries wont satisfy my creative curiosity.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,936 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
People may well have been waiting for their primaris marines - I know I was ^^ don't forget about the second challenge of the Liber gauntlet by the way! That finishes on July 17th though

Edited by Lord Thørn, 21 June 2017 - 07:56 AM.

• Orion likes this
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,649 posts
  • Faction: The Thousand Ideas

Hero of the Legio Bolter & Chainsword - This is a Space Marine that serves with the Legio Bolter & Chainsword at some point. The model might be painted as if prior to serving (i.e., pure Space Marine from his parent Chapter - no Legio B&C markings), currently serving with the Legio or a veteran of the Legio that has returned to his parent Chapter (i.e., normal parent Chapter livery, but with Legio B&C markings somewhere), or as a permanent member on the Mentor cadres (i.e., in Legio B&C colors with their parent Chapter markings).

Speaking as someone whose ability to freehand is absolutely dismal and whose ability to print suitable transfers is non-existent, I have a quick question, just to make sure I've understood this correctly:

If I were to paint a mini in the colours of the Legio (black armour, red helmet & shoulder), would that still qualify a mini for this challenge without having to paint the Legio's badge? unsure.png

I can justify it's absence through fluff if that helps. happy.png

EDIT:

Ignore everything I just said, I think this has already been answered and I'm just being extra slow on the uptake. wallbash.gif

Edited by Ace Debonair, 18 June 2017 - 10:17 PM.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,936 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
Sorry, I've got another question : for the honour shield, should it be in model format or would a computer image do?
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
Computer image is perfectly fine.
  • Doctor Perils likes this

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts

The deadline approaches. Later today I'll send e-mail confirmation to everyone that submitted an entry. I'll post a notification here once that has happened.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
Okay, I was a total slacker over the weekend and did not send the confirmation e-mails out. I'll send them later today (which means before midnight PST because there's some slacker stuff in my schedule today).

I'll submit myself to five minutes in the pain glove for my dereliction of duty.

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,065 posts
  • Faction: November Warriors

Magic Pain Glove your services are required, please guide our wayward Brother Tyler! ;)

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
Confirmation e-mails have been sent. If you don't see one in your inbox, please contact me via e-mail or PM.
  • Kizzdougs likes this

Kizzdougs

Kizzdougs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,164 posts
  • Faction: III Legion

Any updates on this event? :)

The Sekhmet plus Emperor's Children and general 30k | Word Bearers plus general 40k | Instagram: @raptorimperialis

ETL_VI_Badge_Artisan_Master.jpg ETL_2014_Badge_V2_11_Honour.jpg ETL_Medal_06.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_3130.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.png ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif ETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

gallery_11038_675_366.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legio Bolter & Chainsword, Chronicles of the Legio, Legio mini-me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users