Carrion Throne review and opinions

Dunno if it's been brought up, but a nice little easter egg dropped...

In the very centre, where the immense bosses swelled out, were two greater figures – the Holy Primarch Jaghatai Khan, and a nameless daemonic monster wielding a scythe.

Dunno if it's been brought up, but a nice little easter egg dropped...

In the very centre, where the immense bosses swelled out, were two greater figures – the Holy Primarch Jaghatai Khan, and a nameless daemonic monster wielding a scythe.

What does this refer to? Is it a scene in Carrion Throne speaking of statues/paintings of these two?

It's depicted on the Lion Gate, actually.

Post martem ... probably one of the best 40k books to come out in the last few years, if not longer. If there are direct followups, a la Eisenhorn/Ravenor, Wraight could have just begun one of the few defining works of BL fiction.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon

I loved the moment Crowl is confused by the 20 primarchs. He only knows the loyalists. Which remimds me of ADB's argument that even inquisitors know nothing without years of research of anything beyond the myth. Those snippets of Colchis in Talon of Horus the Terrain inquistors know.

It's depicted on the Lion Gate, actually.

Post martem ... probably one of the best 40k books to come out in the last few years, if not longer. If there are direct followups, a la Eisenhorn/Ravenor, Wraight could have just begun one of the few defining works of BL fiction.

And as we could guess - Khan will have round 2 (3) at the Lion spaceport counterattack against Morty.

81sePMVm6VL.jpg

Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!  :yes: My internal Slaanesh is happy!

Looks like Jaghatai and Mort are gonna have a proper throwdown at the Siege

As they definitely deserve - we all know that in old fluff - Khan counterattacked and take Lion Space Port again stopping Horus reinforcements. Horus own and Death Guard was sent to reconquer the space port. So in all the probability Morty will lead them.

And they will have the great duel with Khan as we expected. This time with words of Khan in 'Scars' staring back into him from the corpulent form of Grandpa Nurgle slave.

Oh man,

that cover is so sweet!

They're doing everything for us to fell in love with the Custodes. I was NEVER interested in them. Now, with FWs & GWs releases and one of my favorite authors writing about them, I can't ignore them anylonger.

Need Carrion Throne being released here asap! :O

Oh man,

that cover is so sweet!

They're doing everything for us to fell in love with the Custodes. I was NEVER interested in them. Now, with FWs & GWs releases and one of my favorite authors writing about them, I can't ignore them anylonger.

Need Carrion Throne being released here asap! :ohmy.:

And you are not alone in that. Golden boys would be at least a 1/4 of the GW/FW sales this year

Indeed.

So Carrion Throne and The Emperor's Legion are somewhat tied together through one Custodes, correct?

Are they still seperate ones or can one tread them as parts of a series like a trilogy?

Further, Custodes were thus far only side characters without their own book, right?

Got TFH and MoM and a short one from Abnett in mind. Anything I might've missed?

Indeed.

So Carrion Throne and The Emperor's Legion are somewhat tied together through one Custodes, correct?

Are they still seperate ones or can one tread them as parts of a series like a trilogy?

Further, Custodes were thus far only side characters without their own book, right?

Got TFH and MoM and a short one from Abnett in mind. Anything I might've missed?

As Chris said himself -

'@wraightc Not directly - they're separate stories - though there is one character in common.'

And yes - that's 1 Custodes character we saw in 'Carrion Throne'

• 1 month later...

I just got a copy form Amazon and read the fist chapter...yeah mind blown. I am more of a HH person but I have been dipping into the 40k setting related to my favorite authors like ADB, Haley etc. So glad the key HH authors are doing more 40k stuff, especially around the Storm gathering stuff, the offerings in the HH world have been on the lighter side so good to get my warhammer needs filled.

To be precise - Wraight made a truly amazing job describing Terra before the end of the millenium. But in terms of a detective story it lose to Eisenhorn.

And plot is not on the level of any Eisenhorn. At the same time I need to say that Ravenor from the same Abnett is totally losing to Eisenhorn too. Cause Eisenhorn in descriptiveness and detective story is > than Ravenor, which is > than Inquisitor Crowl.

Hope that he will fix the minore mistakes and tone of the flow for 'The Emperor's might' :yes:

Carrion Throne is hopefully turning up next week as a birthday present. I hope it's as great as the last 3 pages have described!

I'm on chapter 10 and it's great so far. A lot of atmosphere, good depth to the character.

Atmosphere and depiction is what MAKES this novel a good one, not the plot (which is actually pretty straightforward)

I'm enjoying the mystery aspect of it as well, but it's definitely secondary to imbibing Wraight's description of Terra and what inquisitorial service on the Throneworld entails.

Indeed - if not for the description of Terra/Inquisitorial service  - the novel would have been not a very good one :)

finished this one yesterday, really enjoyed it. after reading the Eisenhorn trilogy a short while ago for the first time (very lax with Inquisitor stuff), it's starting to become a favourite genre in W40k. 

At first i was a bit annoyed that a few loose ends weren't tied up regarding Crowl, but in hindsight felt it was a good move. More room for expansion in any further novels. 

The mention of the 20 Primarchs and the confusion as to the number was a good note towards the end.

Also the False Angel thread was well done, in my opinion. Will definitely be re-reading it again.

Next up is Resurrection. avoiding that thread until i'm finished.

finished this one yesterday, really enjoyed it. after reading the Eisenhorn trilogy a short while ago for the first time (very lax with Inquisitor stuff), it's starting to become a favourite genre in W40k. 

At first i was a bit annoyed that a few loose ends weren't tied up regarding Crowl, but in hindsight felt it was a good move. More room for expansion in any further novels. 

The mention of the 20 Primarchs and the confusion as to the number was a good note towards the end.

Also the False Angel thread was well done, in my opinion. Will definitely be re-reading it again.

Next up is Resurrection. avoiding that thread until i'm finished.

Glad you enjoyed that amazing book. Wraight totally deserve the praise.

Good luck and have fun reading Resurrection :)

• 2 weeks later...

finished it last night. 

the descriptive scenes etc are a trademark of the author by now. Great world/atmosphere building.

the storyline is a typical kind of crime thriller. 

Also kind of good to read this after having read some of the HH stuff. Especially, i think, MoM and The Sigilite - you kind of get ghostly echos of places some characters walked 10 thousand years before Crawl gets on the scene.