Carrion Throne review and opinions

Primarchs scene with the biblical hints was hilarious ;)

'The Sigilite - you kind of get ghostly echos of places some characters walked 10 thousand years before Crawl gets on the scene. ' - not only that, you could see how 'new generation' see events of the long past and how it all coexist with their 'naive' beliefs ;)

That limited edition for the The Emperor's Legion though. This might be the first overpriced hardback I actually get. I know Wraight can deliver and it's styled like something the folio society might produce. And look, it comes with a black shroud-slipcase, like the background about the custodians' livery change between 30k and 40k. Dang.

That limited edition for the The Emperor's Legion though. This might be the first overpriced hardback I actually get. I know Wraight can deliver and it's styled like something the folio society might produce. And look, it comes with a black shroud-slipcase, like the background about the custodians' livery change between 30k and 40k. Dang.

Say what, where's the Custodian livery change on the BL site pictures?

It's not actually showing the livery change - though the guys on normal edition cover wear some black - but I was looking at this. A plain black slipcase over an rich and decorated golden-brown leather book seems to me to be a deliberate call out to the custodes shrouding themselves in black after the heresy. Particularly as BL's other slipcases tend to be elaborate and illustrated.

Exactly, reminded me of the lovely Folio Society stuff as well.

It's not actually showing the livery change - though the guys on normal edition cover wear some black - but I was looking at this. A plain black slipcase over an rich and decorated golden-brown leather book seems to me to be a deliberate call out to the custodes shrouding themselves in black after the heresy. Particularly as BL's other slipcases tend to be elaborate and illustrated.

Sorry dude, all the LEs come in a shroud.  Mostly black from recollection.

It's a rework of a good old Blanche image for the golden throne and custodes. And it's pleases me greatly. I will definitely be getting this one. Black shroud-slipcase will be top notch for my new shelf.:yes:

Plus I have a colossal belief in Wraight (he hasn't proved me wrong yet) - so that book is a must buy!

Sorry dude, all the LEs come in a shroud.  Mostly black from recollection.

Ah, I was looking at the primarch LEs and jain zar, warlord and such. They don't seem to have it but I see it on the Dark Imperium LE. Oh well, chalk it up to a fine if coincidental syncing with the background. A black shroud on a golden book looks cooler on than a black shroud on a black book.:smile.:

'A black shroud on a golden book looks cooler on than a black shroud on a black book.:smile.:'

I think warmaster LE (that hinted to be red bookmark and sidemark on golden coverage for BLW release) would be #2 LE in the chart of beautiful LEs.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently powering through it, it is good. These aren't spoilers, I hope, seemingly throwaway bits of world building but the references to quotes from the Lectitio Gouldiensis and Apocrypha Chymes, Easter Eggs for Laurie Goulding and Nick Kyme? (Chapter 9, page 111 of the LE version)

Currently powering through it, it is good. These aren't spoilers, I hope, seemingly throwaway bits of world building but the references to quotes from the Lectitio Gouldiensis and Apocrypha Chymes, Easter Eggs for Laurie Goulding and Nick Kyme? (Chapter 9, page 111 of the LE version)

Yes. They chuckled at that.

Finished this recently. A fellow frater called it the best BL novel this year. Not sure that is correct - there have been some great books so far - but damn it's going to be a close run thing if it isn't.

The best novel of this year with all it's flaws is indeed Black Legion. And it has a lot of them

• 2 weeks later...

Info from the new White Dwarf on Emperor's Legion:

• Book will be set mostly on Terra, giving Chris Wraight the chance to really explore the homworld of Mankind
  • It is set "in the wake of Noctis Aeterna and the opening of the Great Rift"
  • Custodes will be fighting off a Daemonic invasion of the Sol System.
  • Sisters of Silence will be fighting forces of Chaos who are attempting to block off warp lanes in an effort to isolate imperial forces from each other
  • The fact that they are being deployed in such numbers indicates the severity of the threat to mankind.

<p>

• Book will be set mostly on Terra, giving Chris Wraight the chance to really explore the homworld of Mankind
  • Sisters of Silence will be fighting forces of Chaos who are attempting to block off warp lanes in an effort to isolate imperial forces from each other
  • The fact that they are being deployed in such numbers indicates the severity of the threat to mankind.

Does this sound repetitive of a certain recent book?

<p>

Does this sound repetitive of a certain recent book?

Not even close (it is a line from almost all BL books in W40 that ever were lol) - it 'continues' the story from Carrion Throne and is not set in DI Haley wrote about (it goes before DI).

On the other note - the excerpt from BL is amazing. Wraight again show that he is the new 'master' of the descriptiveness settings in BL.

That excerpt has 0 action and mostly use Terra settings and political agendas - but it is done 'BRILLIANTLY'. Again- after that excerpt I DO WONNA READ IT ASAP

When I woke up this morning I could have sworn hands down this has been one of the best books I've read from BL since, Abnett 

After a coffee I've sobered up a little, and thought to reflect on it

Critically weakest elements was that the story became progressively rushed, but arguably it was part of the plot, but I felt inconsistencies became glossed over rapidly, power levels of the custodians towards the end, for example

Also it was not made especially clear as to why, or what the haemonculus hoped to gain by escaping and then heading towards the Throne

I felt that perhaps the interrogator didn't need to be a power armoured brawler, as that added very little to the story

I thoroughly enjoyed the romp though, still the little things keep niggling at me 

Edited by D3L

When I woke up this morning I could have sworn hands down this has been one of the best books I've read from BL since, Abnett 

After a coffee I've sobered up a little, and thought to reflect on it

Critically weakest elements was that the story became progressively rushed, but arguably it was part of the plot, but I felt inconsistencies became glossed over rapidly, power levels of the custodians towards the end, for example

Also it was not made especially clear as to why, or what the haemonculus hoped to gain by escaping and then heading towards the Throne

I felt that perhaps the interrogator didn't need to be a power armoured brawler, as that added very little to the story

I thoroughly enjoyed the romp though, still the little things keep niggling at me 

Indeed it is all so, but the novel still make it up for you with the level of 'descriptiveness' for the setting. And that is what makes this novel really good one - it is a story about 1 character only. And his name is 'Terra' :)

Chris's interview is up! 

http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/Ep_211_-_Carrion_Throne_wChris_Wraight__NOVA_open.mp3

Robert regales us with his time at Nova Open and all the news that came out of the event. Next, Chris Wraight from Black Library returns to chat about his new Inquisition book, Carrion Throne, and what we can look forward to from him coming down the pipeline.

time stamp
00:00 - 01:13 intro, Nova Open news & coverage

01:13 - 01:47 Chris Wraight interview, The Carrion Throne & more!

@wraightc
www.blacklibrary.com
Edited by veterannoob