Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carrion Throne review and opinions

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,119 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hydra

Primarchs scene with the biblical hints was hilarious ;)

'The Sigilite - you kind of get ghostly echos of places some characters walked 10 thousand years before Crawl gets on the scene. ' - not only that, you could see how 'new generation' see events of the long past and how it all coexist with their 'naive' beliefs ;)

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts

That limited edition for the The Emperor's Legion though. This might be the first overpriced hardback I actually get. I know Wraight can deliver and it's styled like something the folio society might produce. And look, it comes with a black shroud-slipcase, like the background about the custodians' livery change between 30k and 40k. Dang.

• HeritorA likes this

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels

That limited edition for the The Emperor's Legion though. This might be the first overpriced hardback I actually get. I know Wraight can deliver and it's styled like something the folio society might produce. And look, it comes with a black shroud-slipcase, like the background about the custodians' livery change between 30k and 40k. Dang.

Say what, where's the Custodian livery change on the BL site pictures?

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts

It's not actually showing the livery change - though the guys on normal edition cover wear some black - but I was looking at this. A plain black slipcase over an rich and decorated golden-brown leather book seems to me to be a deliberate call out to the custodes shrouding themselves in black after the heresy. Particularly as BL's other slipcases tend to be elaborate and illustrated.

• HeritorA likes this

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts

Exactly, reminded me of the lovely Folio Society stuff as well.

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts

It's not actually showing the livery change - though the guys on normal edition cover wear some black - but I was looking at this. A plain black slipcase over an rich and decorated golden-brown leather book seems to me to be a deliberate call out to the custodes shrouding themselves in black after the heresy. Particularly as BL's other slipcases tend to be elaborate and illustrated.

Sorry dude, all the LEs come in a shroud.  Mostly black from recollection.

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,119 posts

It's a rework of a good old Blanche image for the golden throne and custodes. And it's pleases me greatly. I will definitely be getting this one. Black shroud-slipcase will be top notch for my new shelf.yes.gif

Plus I have a colossal belief in Wraight (he hasn't proved me wrong yet) - so that book is a must buy!

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts

Sorry dude, all the LEs come in a shroud.  Mostly black from recollection.

Ah, I was looking at the primarch LEs and jain zar, warlord and such. They don't seem to have it but I see it on the Dark Imperium LE. Oh well, chalk it up to a fine if coincidental syncing with the background. A black shroud on a golden book looks cooler on than a black shroud on a black book.smile.png

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,119 posts

'A black shroud on a golden book looks cooler on than a black shroud on a black book.smile.png'

I think warmaster LE (that hinted to be red bookmark and sidemark on golden coverage for BLW release) would be #2 LE in the chart of beautiful LEs.

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts
Currently powering through it, it is good. These aren't spoilers, I hope, seemingly throwaway bits of world building but the references to quotes from the Lectitio Gouldiensis and Apocrypha Chymes, Easter Eggs for Laurie Goulding and Nick Kyme? (Chapter 9, page 111 of the LE version)
  • Xisor and DarkChaplain like this

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 393 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stella Rex
Finished this recently. A fellow frater called it the best BL novel this year. Not sure that is correct - there have been some great books so far - but damn it's going to be a close run thing if it isn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users