Stofficus -- yes, I had considered that too. I have lots of extra Scion hotshot lasgun arms kicking around that could easily be combined with the multitude of Cadian torsos I have for Praetorian stormies. 

I am just debating whether to make them storm troopers simpliciter, or make them the big game hunters (and not bother with veterans). I am leaning towards the latter just because it is a pet peeve of mine how so many people use veterans as their standard troops choices when I am firmly of the view that they should be rare and Elites choices. On the other hand, though, a cleaner, more uniform look better befits storm troopers and a rag-tag almost civilian look of big game hunters befits vets. So maybe a veteran squad AND a storm trooper squad is appropriate. I will quickly run out of space in a 1500 point army though!

So far, what I want (but may not necessarily build) is:

- at least one 35 man platoon

- at least one special weapon squad

- at least one lascannon heavy weapon team

- at least one veteran or storm trooper squad (10-man) inside Kharadron overlord themed "chimera" and/or "tuarox (prime)"

- at least one 10 man rough rider squad

- at least two Kharadron overlord-themed tanks

Have to wait to June 10th to see what could actually be fit, but I'm thinking that the above will be a tight squeeze!

I dead learn at the recent tournament where I brought BA how awesome fast transports are, at least under 7th edition. Time will tell with 8th!

I think I am safe to start building the 35 man platoon though.

That would've been my response as well...do the 35 man platoon as you have a set theme and set models in your minds eye for that so it's kinda locked in,as your building and painting that platoon you may get brainstorms,moments of Clarity about the other units...msn-wink.gif

Let those ideas stew around in the grey matter for a while then after you've finished the grunts you will most likely have a more positive idea of where the next units are heading modelwise.

I look forward to WiP updates, will post your test rifles on Monday morning (it's Friday night here Now in Australia cool.png) you may want to save the Long Sniper rifle and use it in a counts as Ratling sniper squad, if you ever do one laugh.png .

i Gather your using an old gun carriage for your las-cannon Hvy Wpn team like the Anvil one here -

med_gallery_9146_7882_20139.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

I'm not sure if the scale of the heads / torsos is different from each manufacturer? I wanted a more uniform (you know, boring!) approach to my troops so they all have Cadian Torsos with the exception of some characters. The Scion models I liked so much I just built as Scions, no extra bits at all. I'm painting them up in 95th rifle colours (different era I know, but Sharpe!) and will probably convert a Sharpe and Harper to lead them soon.

For Vets I've gone for just a leg swap to give them Kilts (Highlander legs from Kromlech). Makes them stand out and adds variety but still keeps the uniform look of the regiment together.

It sounds like you're gong a lot further than me towards making your guys unique so the lots of different suppliers approach might well work better.

You still need to add Pith Helmeted Ogryns to you list! They may be pretty rubbish (although... 8th!) on the table top but... they're Pith helmeted Ogryns! I'm going to replace the Aegis defence line in my list with Slabshield Bullgryns I think.

Also,

I'd love to see someone make a Pith Helmet for Imperial Knights ;)

@mithrilforge -- definitely going to use a wheeled gun carriage, but I think I prefer the look of the Curious Constructs gun carriage:

http://kirtongames.com/image/cache/catalog/PRODUCTS/CURIOUS%20CONSTRUCTS/FIELD%20ARTILLERY/CARRIAGES/GUN%20CARRIAGE-600x600.png

I am debating whether to go full third party on the heavy weapons, as the Curious Constructs Autocannon and Lascannon look awesome, but on the other hand I don't know that I want to push my luck too much with all the third party bitz. They are pretty easy going at Astronomi-con (the only tournament I attend anymore) but I think I need to have at least some GW stuff!

Buying gun carriages + weapons all from Curious Constructs will cost about 75% of what getting both the carriages and the guns from CC would. However, if I got the GW box, I'd also have several other weapons options, the necessary bases, and more Cadian models that could be kit-bashed. That is if my memory is serving me well and you do get 3x of each heavy weapon option in the GW Heavy Weapon Squad?

@NatBrannigan -- from the research I've been doing, it looks like all the various manufacturer's stuff will fit together well enough. They all aim to make their bitz compatible with GW minis so with that common factor they're all pretty close. I don't think slight variations will be noticeable.

... Ogryns I may add down the line, but even disregarding their tabletop performance, they've just never really interested me that much. My focus for now is to get the first 35 man platoon done, then probably 10 "Scions" (since I already have the bitz) and continue from there.

Ignoring tabletop efficiency for the moment -- especially since we don't know how 8th will change things -- what do you think would be the fluffiest choices for special and heavy weapon in my platoon squads?

I remember seeing a list on here once (but cannot find it now) outlining the weapons preferences for various regiments. I don't know if Praetorians were on there or not. I see that according to Lexicanum grenade launchers and lascannons are the preference of Mordians. I had been thinking plasma and autocannons though simply because Victoria Lamb's plasma gun is the most steam-punk looking of her weapons (and you get 10 weapons of your choice -- all one kind -- with the squad set) and autocannons are, well, cannons.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts on what would be a good combo. I intend the platoon to be more of a gunline whereas my DKoK platoons are always assaulting so they only ever have melta and flamers.

This goes against my basic painting principles of doing stock troops before fun stuff ... but I just can't decide on what special weapons to get when I buy my squads of troops from Victoria miniatures (in the 10 man squad you get your choice of 10x lasguns, 10x plasma, 10x melta, &c.) so I may do a 10-man squad of rough riders first. I'm thinking that I'll paint them Natal Mounted Police style with dark navy blue, almost black uniforms and pith helmets, maybe a bare head or slouch hats thrown in for flavour. This is an easier choice, either 10x lances or 8x lances and 2 x melta. Maybe the latter to make them a bit more multipurpose.

EDIT: Can't decide because I need to see what the various options are like in 8th edition. I'm inclined towards plasma because at tournaments I'll most likely be facing MEQ in the vast majority of games, but I can't weigh if the "gets hot" tax is still worth it if plasma doesn't get sufficient AP or if Krak grenades in the launcher get decent AP.

Thanks, Cap'm ... yeah, looking at your gallery the Victoria Lamb bits seem "spot on" for mixing with GW stuff.

Where did you get the horses for your Roughriders?

Although speaking of Rough Riders, I'm thinking I should probably check fire on doing any of those until 8th is out. I've been thinking about this line from the FAQ and it has me worried:

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

This is some very specific wording and I'm sure GW used it to give themselves the room they need to axe any unit that they want to, which doesn't currently have a model. Rough Riders have survived several new codices, but this does have me a bit concerned that they didn't come out and say that any unit that currently has rules will have rules in 8th. They haven't had models for some time now so I think before I invest a bunch of time and money, I'd be better off waiting a month.

That said, I think I'm plenty safe to start with a 3x lascannon squad, and use the extra bitz I get from ordering a Victoria Miniatures heavy weapon squad to build half of a regular line squad plus 5 or so Scions (just stock ones with hotshot lasguns). Victoria, Emperor bless her, does free worldwide shipping on orders over $50 so there is nothing that will penalize me for doing several $60 orders versus a huge $600 all at once. I think I'll go with Curious Constructs gun carriages and lascannons even thought they are almost double the cost of Victoria's just because I love how they look. I may go with Victoria's gun carriages for the regular platoon heavy weapons since the weapon crews in squads will be dressed as regular infantry (red tunics) whereas the heavy weapon squads will get painted in black like artillery crew.

Thanks! Yes, I just checked GW's website and they do seem to still be available.

$35 CDN for 5 horses = about $6 per horse

On the other hand, can get 3 Napoleonic British Light Cavalry Horses for £3.50 or roughly $6 CDN which is $2 per horse. But without all the other bitz which might have their uses. Have to think about it. I could probably buy the outriders at my local store and save on shipping so that's a factor too, plus the horses are guaranteed to be the right size.

I'll think about it while I wait to see whether GW even gives us Rough Rider rules for 8th.

Yes!, a Safe bet is to stick to putting together those things you know GW still supports in the codex with models, as you said rough riders have not been a model for sometime so may not be in the "new" 8th Ed... would be a shame to make em up only to not be able to use them in your latest army!! ermm.gif

(Ghostly background voice) ...Make the 35 Man platoon.... whistling.gif

Cheers, Mithril

The thing is, I can't really do the 35 man platoon either -- at least not the whole thing -- until I know more about 8th edition weapons to decide what specials and heavies to take. That said, I think I'm 100% safe building 3 lascannons, 5 Scions (just hotshots, no specials), and a bunch of regular grunts with lasguns. So that's the plan!

The thing is, I can't really do the 35 man platoon either -- at least not the whole thing -- until I know more about 8th edition weapons to decide what specials and heavies to take. That said, I think I'm 100% safe building 3 lascannons, 5 Scions (just hotshots, no specials), and a bunch of regular grunts with lasguns. So that's the plan!

Jolly Good then old Boy, now.... GET TO IT!!...

gallery_9146_7882_19493.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Welp, I pulled the trigger on my first batch of purchases.

Got a 10-man squad pack and a special weapons squad pack from Victoria Lamb, a bunch of assorted bitz from Mad Robot, and attempted to order 3x lascannons and 10x pith helmet heads from Curious Constructs (Col. Gravis) but hit a snag on checkout so am waiting for an email from them.

That should give me a good start!

I opted for 10 plasma guns as my free add-on for the 10-man squad. If I decide I want a different special weapon, I can get ten of them with the next 10-man squad I order from Victoria. I figured might as well get plasma since of the other options, I don't need flamers (got tons of Cadian ones), I don't need shotguns (got several Cadian and Space Marine Scout ones and hers are not sufficiently steam-punkish to differentiate), I don't need lasguns since I'll be going with AdMech Galvanic Rifles, don't need sniper rifles because they're un-Praetorian, and that left only meltaguns which I can get in the next batch.

Now the waiting begins!

Sounds good! As soon as you get a model with the Galvanic rifle made up do post a picture, can't wait to see how that looks.

For Rough riders, assuming they are still a choice in 8th, have you considered not using horses? There are plenty of bike / quadbike options about for a more modern feel, but there are also things like the new Griffon type thingies for Stormcast, Coldones (that can be bought separately on the GW site, perhaps using the balloons from the new Dwarves to tie in with your ships when you get them?

Great ideas, NatBrannigan! I didn't realize Cold Ones could be purchased on their own from GW. I am really liking the idea ... somehow giant lizards feels even more steampunk/space Victorian than horses does.

I did consider balloon troops, but the cost would be prohibitive at $50 CDN for three balloons.

... I can't find Cold Ones on the GW website though? Do you have a link?

Thanks, Reiner, those Saurus Knights aren't a bad value although 8 per box is a weird number. I checked eBay and sourcing cold ones might not be too difficult or expensive via that venue.

On another note, looking at Atia's Squat WIP it looks like those Kharadron Overlord ships are BIG. The frigate is about as long as 5x 32 mm bases abreast. So that is pretty big and possibly appropriate as my Russ chassis. The gunhauler could then perhaps represent chimera chassis although it may be a bit small-ish. The ironclad looks like it must be gigantic so I won't use that unless maybe I want to make a Stormlord.

Oh, well you used to be able to but them separately... Can't see that option anymore.

Definitely get the Dark elf newer models like Robotfish says, the older Lizardmen ones just look... Dopey? It's like comparing the Raptors from Jurassic Park with Dino from the Flintstones... I'll be making some Rough Riders soon out of the Lizardmen one simply because I have a load spare and unmade sat in my bits box, but they really do look a bit silly and you have to remove all the Aztec looking parts as well.

It might be worth keep an eye on bitz sites like Bitzbox, I expect they'll get they're hands on some of the new Balloon infantry soon so you might be able to pick some up fairly cheaply.

I think that's your answer then, three days is a long time in ecommerce confused.gif

Yeah, I guess they're simply not interested in international business.

On a brighter note, however, Reecius' faction review today -- that contained a fair few "spoilers" -- seems to indicate that Rough Riders will still be supported with rules!

I'll have to think about what to do about the lizards for them to ride. As I said I don't mind the old LIzardman Cold Ones, they're almost 1/2 the price, and my son will enjoy the bitz for his Age of Sigmar project. That said, considering that four boxes of Drakeborn (20 Cold Ones) is still cheaper than 1 Arkonaut Frigate + 1 Leman Russ for building my tanks, I really should not be letting the price hold me back.

Per Reecius' article, Rough Riders are actually going to be good so 20 of them might not be insane!

Archived