I don't know ... do you think they're actually going to give Rough Riders new models? They haven't had models for several editions. Yet on the other hand who saw the new Ogryn kits coming? Maybe they'll be a multi-option kit, for lancers and dragoons for example. Well, best not to get too carried away -- I'll probably be building my own anyway. Interesting times definitely ahead.

I'm thinking of going with Cold One mounts painted in a khaki/sand-type colour to show that they're desert type of lizards. I do think that such a colour would look better with red tunic-ed riders rather than the navy blue Natal Mounted Police-inspired riders I am thinking of. Decisions, decisions ...

They'll have to be better because now when they charge they don't have to wait to die first before swinging!

Instantly better! :)

I'm still taking the presence of RR's in the new edition with a grain of salt though. He may have just said that as those are the only 2 "CC" units in our dex, we don't know if they will exist and if they have new models coming. 

I hope they do though! I never got to finish of my Attilan Rough Riders! I started with a squad of 5, their SGT was my first ever "conversion" :) back in 3rd. I heated up the horses hind legs so I could have it rearing up! :) I still have them sitting in an icecream container wondering what to do with them.

Searching high and low for some better indication of just how big the Kharadron Overlord flyers are, I finally found this (screenshot from a youtube video):

med_gallery_66537_13128_114046.jpg

Looking at this, the gunhauler is clearly much too small to represent a Taurox, Chimera, or Russ. The Ironclad is off screen to the right and it's huge ... I'd say more like Land Raider size. So I am starting to think that the Frigate will have to serve as the basis for both my troops transports and tanks. I looked at my motor pool, and the chimera and taurox are actually not really smaller than Russes. Russes are wider but that's about it.

The only problem with this is that I then have two different chassis that still look the same ... is my idea to ambitious?

I think the Frigate can be made to look chunkier for Russ duty by the addition of side-sponsons and enclosing the crew compartment area with plasticard. Russ is actually a bit shorter so might try my hand at shortening the hull a bit too. This will certainly test my plasticard skills to the max. Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Here's something a bit crazy ... what do you think of using the Gunhauler model for my Russ chassis and the Frigate as Tauroxes/Chimerae?

My thinking being, as I look at these models, the gunhauler is just that ... a vessel with a small-ish crew that carries guns. The main difference being that it's not as heavily armoured but it might look moreso once it has sponsons, a hull gun and an enclosed crew compartment with a turret on top of that with a cannon or other big gun. I don't know, it's compact but it seems somewhat fitting yet it feels wrong for the transports to be that much bigger.

On the other hand the frigate does have windows and a door clearly denoting transport capacity. And the Gunhauner's lone balloon is pretty big.

I don't know. Have to think about it some more ...

Honestly... the Aesthetic of it is only important for you,all that matters to us as the enemy,is that the base footprint matches a Chimera/Taurox or a Leman Russ,

i guess as long as you have the appropriate weapons configurations represented on the chassis/Hull then i'd be all fine with whichever one you used...

actually using the larger ships as troop transports holds water (see what i did there msn-wink.gif ) as troop carrying capacity needs a little bit more room than a cannon and ammo so i'd think the Gunhauler would be ideal as a Russ

( i would have and enemy identification chart all done up and laminated to let my opponent borrow for tourneys i played in,you could even theme it so it looked old fashioned/steampunkish)

i look forward to seeing what you come up with wub.gif

cheers, Mithril

Yeah I'm still debating. I was looking at the sprues on the GW site yesterday and was thinking of maybe going all-out on the conversions and doing Frigate for both Russes and Chimerae, but on the Russ version I will chop off the back end of the boat where the windows for passengers to look our are, and then try to enclose the crew compartment area and up-armour it on the sides to give a flat/level surface to mount sponsons to. I think that will make it look more squat/Russ-like. I'd also keep two balloons on top for the Russ to give it that heavier feel, then for the Chimerae/Taurox, keep it full length but only use one big balloon up top, plus the small one at the back to give it a lighter/faster look.

If anyone has unused Taurox Prime weapon bitz that they'd be willing to part with please PM me.

Archived