Not News! Speculation about IG revamp

This has been brought up a few times as mentioned, especially as the older ranges are head swaps in some cases. Three boxes and you've an entirely new range of Guard models!

Whether New GW will do this or not is the real question... we'll see how far the New goes!

Problem is how long we've been waiting. The "three boxes and done" thing is not a new thought by any stretch of the imagination, so much so that the Cadian range is starting to show age.

Guard need a lot of love from GW, and deserve it - I see 8th as their chance to rectify this. Even though the codex train is over that doesn't change the current armies that need attention the most, and Guard is (for once) near the top of that list.

I thought the gear that Cadians use is the standard for guard, with the snowflake armies being different?

Correct.

I just want to be able to outfit my troops in respirators without forking out more money than what a whole Infantry Squad kit costs.

Correct...ish

Originally I don't believe Cadian gear was ever meant to be "standard" whereas it has been retconned since. You just need to look at the variety of Imperial Guard worlds, both in fluff (including GW, Black Library, and the Only War RPG) and in model line-up, and you only really ever hear of cadians using cadian gear - otherwise they all use pretty different gear

I've wanted an IG army for the last five years, if not more, but cannot justify a metal army in my budget, and I just don't like Cadian and Catachan stuff in the first place - of course I get that many people do love them, so I don't begrudge you having the chance to have your models :)

However, with three different kinds of boxes for basic Space Marines (that essentially have the same gear, with just a few bitz added on), I can't see how they could justify not having enough shelf-space for a new IG box that builds four or more well-known variants of the Imperial Guard (you basically just need 10 greatcoats+legs+arms, and 10 heads in 4 variants to get Vostroya, Valhalla, Armageddon and Krieg, and you could add in trousers and two other head options for Praetoria and Mordia)

For a warm-up, they could even revamp the cadian line with a head option for creating arbites, I don't think the body armour looks that different? Even the Kasrkin could be simply an extra head option with another weapon set (ie you'd get lasguns and hotshot las in the box)? Would that not be a licence to print money?

Approaching things from a slightly different angle, with GW seeming to want to make everything they have copyright friendly, and their New Found? ability to make FW models plastic, do you think we might see a new guard line more akin to the solar Auxilia become the poster boys for guard going forward?

Hum, I think the Solar Auxilia are actually more in line with the Tempestus Scions: better armour, better weapons, less numerous... As much as I like the aspect of the Solar Auxilia, I don't think they have the iconic look of the Imperial Guard that is expressed by the diversity of Cadians, Catachans, Vostroyans, Tallarn etc.

I think Brother Castle was speaking about aesthetic rather than function. It's certainly possible given some moves GW has made lately. I don't know ... the "new GW" really does do things different than the old, so it's hard to predict since we can't really make predictions based on past behaviour.

As much as I love the Solar Auxilia aesthetic I just think it's too distinctly different from Not-Starship Troopers (film) we have now and probably too close, if by no means identical, to the Scions. That being said, if they went back to the more tacti00l aesthetic of the old Storm Troopers over the gothic Scion models I would not complain. Karskin would also be good but I don't see that happening.

I agree with the closeness being a reason why they might do it, I would also argue that the current range looking very much like the StarShip Troops (film) and being heavily influenced my 19 & 20th Century armies, would be a reason for them to go with something more in line with the Solar Aux. it would be easier to copyright and more in keeping with more recent Guard releases i.e Scions.

I may be getting way to hung up on the CopyRight thing, and I may be a little bias to wanting Solar Aux Plastics happy.png

Well, whether you're way too hung up on the CopyRight thing I don't know, but GW has at least given the appearance of being too hung up on it. So I agree with you that this makes a change of look very possible. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen before now. I can only guess that the last codex and new kits released alongside did not do that well on sales so GW isn't rushing out to revamp the IG line. It would be a huge overhaul but no bigger than the overhaul they did back in mid/late 3rd edition.

Well, whether you're way too hung up on the CopyRight thing I don't know, but GW has at least given the appearance of being too hung up on it. So I agree with you that this makes a change of look very possible. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen before now. I can only guess that the last codex and new kits released alongside did not do that well on sales so GW isn't rushing out to revamp the IG line. It would be a huge overhaul but no bigger than the overhaul they did back in mid/late 3rd edition.

In fairness, the 3.5 overhaul seemed almost as big as the recent Dark Eldar one. Plastic Shock Troops, plastic HWTs, Command Squad, Lieutenants, Karskin, Tech-Priests, Psykers, Snipers, Sentinel, Basilisk, Ogryns (I think?), the Battle Tank and Demolisher also got a small update. Then a bunch of Catachan stuff followed no far behind it. Since then most of the kits have held up extremely well or already seen updates/plastics.

If they did perform a revamp about the only things I see them overhauling at the core infantry which amounts to an Infantry Squad, Command Squad and Heavy Weapon Team boxes. Throw in a couple of shared Imperial Agent plastics (Primaris/Sanctioned Psykers, Advisors) and they're pretty much good to go. I'd rather they throw out an OC regiment than completely replace everything though.

What makes me sceptical they'll actually put out a revamp is because whilst most people here seem to hold the opinion that Cadians are 'boring', it's that everyman/twenty-minutes-into-the-future look of the Imperial Guard's posterboys that gets a lot of newbies into the Imperial Guard anyway. Sure, later on most veteran players preen for trenchcoats or hard sci-fi but by that point they're usually full to the brim with little Cadian men in their collection anyway. 

I actually like the Cadian's sort of modern day but sci fi look, I also really like the Death Korp look too.  I think it would be cool to see forge world do alternate regiments too, kind of like when they first started putting out the older power armor marks, but now it seems like all they want to do is Horus Heresy stuff and it might just be me, but I am kind of tired of the heresy...

I agree with you somewhat Robo on being tired of the heresy...but I think it's just because it take fooooever for things to release. I still love the hype and models they produce for it though. I'd like ot see forgeworld expand there bits for guardsmen that would be a fresh change. I do believe the Cadians and even the Catachans have help up very well. I really wish that the steel legion line would have been expanded though they really are beautiful models.

Krash

I wasn't trying to say that they should replace the range, just serious if people thought that they would. It made sense in my head.

as for the current range, i tend to agree with the idea that more variety and a freshening up of the current Cadian and Catachan ranges would be more likely and needed, being able to get special weapons more readily would be great.

I really like the Aesthetic of the Death corps and Steel legion, the great coats and gas masks scream grimdark for me, and I would love to see them get new models. maybe in plastic.

Upgrade packs akin to the Genestealer cult one would be a decent short term moneymaker, the problem is the massive variety of regiments that people want.

Lets say 100 people want to start Imperial Guard but find Cadians a bit dull. An additional sprue with heads, maybe some different torsos, officer bits, maybe a standard and some tank crew etc to add to the Cadian sprue may well tempt them in! GW decide to go for a Steel Legion upgrade kit.

How many of that 100 potential people wanted Steel Legion? They might prefer Mordian, Preatorian, Voystron, Vallhallan, Elysian, Kreig, Tallarn... There's no way GW will or should make 8 different sprues. It's a pickle but the diversity is working against us getting an update along these lines.

I really think if GW embraced some third party bits manufacturers as "official partners" they'd rake the money in. Imagine them advertising in White Dwarf "Victoria Miniatures Preatorian upgrade parts, fully compatible with our own plastic kits!" They'd still sell their own kits, just more of them. Fat chance of that happening though...

... There's no way GW will or should make 8 different sprues...

I agree that they wouldn't make 8 different boxes, but with a bit of thought, it should be possible to make 3 or 4 of the best known regiments from a single box, with just the head swaps and possibly a few other bitz.

Such a kit would surely be loved by the players of these regiments: after all, for the moment they're metal and online only (and some/most of them are out of production)

I don't anticipate anything that we know and love making it into plastic that isn't highly copyright-able...copywrite-able.. crap both look wrong...

Anyways...

The steel legion look to historically german, the Valhallans look too historically russian. They are probably dead ends... as much as I hate to admit it...

I've suggested before, but probably the most parsimonious way to have a diverse range of plastic guard regiments would be to have two generic upgrade boxes, one for heavy weapon teams and one for special weapons/veterans/command Squads, and then produce a single infantry box for each regiment they want to make that can be combined with the two upgrade boxes to make all the infantry options needed. That way, if they wanted to have three regiments in plastic, they just have five different boxes on the shelves, rather than nine.

Better yet, steal their phone. Model is immediately removed from play (with no recourse) as they panic and frantically search for it :P

Combined Guard kits are possible, and there's certainly enough Marine varieties going around. Just because Guard haven't seen any real attention for a while doesn't mean this will continue. If anything should mean we're earlier in the queue ;)

Archived