Not News! Speculation about IG revamp

I'll admit that I like the plastic Cadians.

I hope the kit doesn't vanish as I'm working on an entire Infantry Company and I'd hate to have a platoon or two not quite match everything I've been assembling for years, now.

Better yet, steal their phone. Model is immediately removed from play (with no recourse) as they panic and frantically search for it tongue.png

Combined Guard kits are possible, and there's certainly enough Marine varieties going around. Just because Guard haven't seen any real attention for a while doesn't mean this will continue. If anything should mean we're earlier in the queue msn-wink.gif

The difference I think is that the Marine varieties make bank by virtue of being loyalist Space Marines. Imperial Guard and... well, just about every other army don't have those same sales figures to justify it. Despite the nuGW meme, they don't seem to be taking a different stance to the Kirby era of pumping out nothing but Marines. If anything, they're going more in that direction (Primarchs etc).

I'll admit that I like the plastic Cadians.

I hope the kit doesn't vanish as I'm working on an entire Infantry Company and I'd hate to have a platoon or two not quite match everything I've been assembling for years, now.

If recent releases are anything to go by, they are unlikely to completely do away with what has become an iconic aesthetic of a core army (the only release recently to do that was scions tempestus iirc) - I can however see them doing a couple of varieties in a new main box.

However, if the worst comes to the worst, I'm sure loads of cadians would find themselves on ebay in short order: with the fall of cadia, a new edition coming (which seems to be scaring some players), and with newer kits, people will surely do what happens rather often and sell old stuff on the cheap :)

Yeah... for now I am quite happy to get guardsmen cheaper per 10 models than anything out there in GW land... I dread the day they revamp guard... because we will see 10 man squads jump from 29USD to 40USD and contain more parts that will go into the unused bits bin than the models themselves...

GW does have a bit of a dilemma with Guard, I think: how far do you encourage infantry hordes, which equate to more sales per player, against putting off prospective Guard players who balk at the idea of painting up 200 guardsmen? It'll be interesting to see whether they keep flak armour as 5+ or drop it to 6+ as, with a 5+, the new rules appear to give Guard a significant improvement in survivability (hit by a flamer while in cover? Enjoy the new 4+ save!). If they keep the 5+, it's possible that the points difference between a Guard squad and a tactical squad may shrink, so that might reduce that perception of a having a huge wall of miniatures to buy and paint.

If GW preserves the current relative power levels of Guard and Astartes, then they'll have to look very carefully at the cost of producing new kit against how many the customer is likely to buy: price it at £25-30 for 10 like many of the newer kits, and a new player could look at that and think: do I really want to buy twenty of those?

I noticed that todays rules that went up on Warhammer Community (Tau and Primaris Marines) that both datasheets had a Keyword relating to the interfaction organizations ( <Chapter> for Primaris Marines and <Sept> for the Tau).  The <Chapter> for the Primaris Marines of course was to be expected as its most lilkely the source of the Chapter Tactics but the inclusion of <Sept> could be something similar.  If so, could it possibly mean that we could see something similar for the various Guard regiments?

The daunting task of horde guard is mitigated by intermediate steps where you take more pointsy, and talented veterans until you can amass the bodies for horde guard. So it's not so bad...

The Genestealer cultists, Admech and Skitarii show that GW can do human sized plastic figures that look great. The could just do Skitarri with less mechanical appendages and it would still look pretty great. If we see new guard I suspect it will be reboot rather than continue with the Cadians, you can't really fix their blocky look without making the new models too different from the old.

I read the thread title as 'HOT NEWS!' So I was a little let down ;)

Yeah I think a new Cadian box is pretty much a given here. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see one that includes better weapon options and variations in things like special weapons, heads, etc. But that would be about it for basic troops. 

It would be really cool to also see some new guard regiments done up in plastic as well. My vote would be Mordians (or Praetorians) or Tallaran, or something entirely new! 

I think at this point there is a solid chance we are going to see new Rough Rider models, so I'm stoked for that! 

I think at this point there is a solid chance we are going to see new Rough Rider models, so I'm stoked for that! 

That would be so awesome! Though once again I'd like a different regimental option :)

While I'd love to see Rough Rider models, it would still come as rather a shock to me if they actually did it.

And what regiment would they dress them up as? Cadians to be more generic? Atillans to match with the original old-school aesthetic (probably the most likely option)? I'm not holding my breath but it would sure be cool if they did that. Atillan RR kit would be rather "new GW-ish" given all the other nostalgic releases they've done over the last while.

Archived