Maloghurst Orbital Assault 2.5k

Rangaman

Recently came into a couple of pods so I am considering a full OA list using Mal and his Veterans plus some extras, would like to hear peoples thoughts...especially on the Grav Rapiers in Kharybdis, I have another Dreadclaw which is not being used in this list that I could swap in and an unbuilt Contemptor (everything else in the list is what I currently own)

My plan is to deploy the Contemptor, the two Machine Killer Vet squads and either the Grav in Kharybdis or the Volkite Support squad first to eliminate some nasty armour and then follow up with the elite killer Vets and Plasma squad. The Grav can deploy at the earliest Turn Two but won't be able to shoot until Turn Three, is holding them back a bad idea? Mal will be attached to them for Fearless and I am sure they will be a scary target for my opponent but they will only ever get three-four rounds of actual shooting if they don't get engaged in combat, maybe some Quad launchers would be better here since they can at least Snapfire but I am trying to avoid the over-used and under-costed units I have seen lots of people use.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v68) (2500pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v257) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (140pts) +

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts)

+ Elites (515pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (290pts)

Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun]

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [Frag Assault Launchers]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (225pts)

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]

+ Troops (1610pts) +

Legion Tactical Support Squad (240pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 5x Legion Space Marines]

Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Plasma gun]

Legion Sergeant [bolt Pistol]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (270pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Space Marines]

Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Volkite Caliver]

Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

Additional Wargear [2x Plasma gun]

Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Plasma gun]

Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers]

Additional Wargear

Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Meltagun]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers]

Additional Wargear

+ Heavy Support (235pts) +

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw (235pts)

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes [ XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor]

Rite of War [Orbital Assault]

Created with BattleScribe

Thanks for comments and criticism!

I do not think grav rapiers in a Kharybdis is a good idea at all. You're paying a lot of points for a premium assault transport, and then giving it to 3 haywire shots on a platform that won't even fire on the first turn. You'll do a lot more damage with...literally any other unit, realistically. Is there a reason why you want to put rapier platforms into a Kharybdis? I am not seeing the attraction.

Other than that interesting selection, the rest of the list is pretty standard for SoH, so they'll perform well. Machine Killer veterans are great, and plasma is our bread and butter. I usually like to have actual meltaguns or plasma guns in my veteran squads as well as combi weapons so they can shoot after the first turn if the situation requires it. Lots of scoring bodies on the ground will serve you well.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, Grav Rapiers in an OA list is silly. That is 460 points I can spend elsewhere, any suggestions? I am considering a Leviathan but I am finding those to be a bit overdone in my local meta.

Hmmmm I have a few options I suppose, shuffled some things around within the Infantry squads so the Machine Killer Vets had 2 Meltaguns each and the Volkite Support squad have space for Mal to ride with them now.

This is 7 pods and 460 points left over:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v68) (2040pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v257) (2040pts) ++

+ HQ (140pts) +

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts)

+ Elites (290pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (290pts)
Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun]

+ Troops (1610pts) +

Legion Tactical Support Squad (240pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 5x Legion Space Marines]
Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Plasma gun]
Legion Sergeant [bolt Pistol]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (250pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 8x Legion Space Marines]
Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Volkite Caliver]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers]
Additional Wargear [2x Meltagun]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers]
Additional Wargear [2x Meltagun]

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes [ XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor]

Rite of War [Orbital Assault]

Created with BattleScribe

So this space can be filled with:

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v257) (440pts) ++

+ Heavy Support (440pts) +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (440pts) [Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v257) (440pts) ++

+ Heavy Support (440pts) +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (220pts)
Four wing-mounted: [Hellstrike Missiles]
Two Turrent-mounted: [Quad Heavy Bolter]

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (220pts)
Four wing-mounted: [Hellstrike Missiles]
Two Turrent-mounted: [Quad Heavy Bolter]

+ Elites (440pts) +

Justaerin Terminator Squad (440pts) [2x Chainfist, 5x Combi-Weapon, 5x Justaerin Terminators, 3x Power Fist]

Archived