Ahriman Omnibus

Haven't read it by myself but from what I've heard thus far, it is more than a safe pick.

Especially with several short stories included. Will purchase one for myself. Though I'll wait until the German version is released. With all that time / warp shenanigans I don't want to miss something by not understanding it. ^^

They are very much worth it. They're some of the best stuff (certainly for CSM) to come out of BL, up there with the Night Lords trilogy.

You can read some of the author's thoughts on the Warhammer Community site here and here. If those interest you at all, get the omnibus.

So the Ahriman omnibus is out now, and I'm thinking about picking it up. How are the novels (Exile, Sorceror and Unchanged)? Is it worth a read?

Definitely worth a read. If you haven't yet - go buy, read and enjoy an amazing journey.

As John said himself -

1. Ahriman is pure evil.
  2. Ahriman is obsessed by gathering knowledge and arcane power.
  3. Ahriman is a misunderstood hero.
  4. Ahriman is Tzeentch’s greatest champion.
  5. Ahriman worships no god, and follows his own path.

If you are not ready to get it yet, maybe it's not for ya msn-wink.gif

I was hopeful this would hit my local store but I think if I want this I have to order through Black Library which usually costs me in shipping and duty. I dunno this is too big for me to pass on though.

I was hopeful this would hit my local store but I think if I want this I have to order through Black Library which usually costs me in shipping and duty. I dunno this is too big for me to pass on though.

It's not like they'll run out of stock any time soon. Add stuff to your cart over time as they release things you want until you hit free shipping?

edit: or geez, just check eBay I guess. Looks like you can find it easily with free shipping.

Amazon got it as well.

Tempted to purchase it and add it to my Omnibus to-do-list along Dark Angels, Salamanders & Word Bearers. xD

Amazon got it as well.

Tempted to purchase it and add it to my Omnibus to-do-list along Dark Angels, Salamanders & Word Bearers. xD

Ahriman Omnibus totally worth more than Dark Angels, Salamanders, and probably even Word Bearers (Purge and Marduk are exclusions).

Do not pass the beauty! yes.gif

Did the EBay purchase. Taxes in Canada are kind of brutal and I really didn't want to miss this opportunity. Thanks for the heads up on EBay.

So it's easier to buy and deliver from ebay to Canada then from BL?

Why not buy ebooks?

I'm just not a fan of reading off my digital devices. In fact I have a few of these very novels in ebook... I just really don't like reading it that way. Just personal preference.

Sure. A lot of people prefer real books. I prefer real books - but due to the shipping charges and time it would take to deliver new title > I would read it the last then it would be 'old'. So full throtle for ebook versions ;)

Very broadly, it's the 'early imperium' era, like the The Beast Arise books or Battle of the Fang. John French said on his blog that they happen in the first few millennia post-heresy and certainly Ahriman hasn't been up to much since the rubric. A lot of the obvious giveaways - like Ahriman not recognising the sigil of the inquisition - can be down to his post-heresy slump and time flowing differently in the warp.

It's kept pretty ambiguous though and there's more than a bit of time travel shenanigans. Like at one point Ahriman meets (minor spoiler)

Khayon from ADB's Black Legion series but their timelines are literally moving in different directions, so Khayon was expecting him.

Very broadly, it's the 'early imperium' era, like the The Beast Arise books or Battle of the Fang. John French said on his blog that they happen in the first few millennia post-heresy and certainly Ahriman hasn't been up to much since the rubric. A lot of the obvious giveaways - like Ahriman not recognising the sigil of the inquisition - can be down to his post-heresy slump and time flowing differently in the warp.

It's kept pretty ambiguous though and there's more than a bit of time travel shenanigans. Like at one point Ahriman meets (minor spoiler)

Khayon from ADB's Black Legion series but their timelines are literally moving in different directions, so Khayon was expecting him.

Actually cause the span of an omnibus is like from 2 to 4k range. Time shenangians and time-travel (egg before the chicken) in a lot of cases here

Every book is in that era? I thought it spanned a larger timeline.

I just read a short story, Hounds of Wrath, I really enjoyed it and thought it actually could have been a lot longer.

I just read a short story, Hounds of Wrath, I really enjoyed it and thought it actually could have been a lot longer.

Nah Heritor's right, it's just the first book that's set in that era. There are large gaps between the books. The Ctesias shorts are snippets between them but there's presumably all sorts of other adventures/inter-warband warfare offscreen, we only 'tune in' to what Ahriman's doing when it's concerning the central plot thread of the books.

I quite agree about Hounds of Wrath, the Ctesias stories are my favourite element of the Ahriman books.

Nah Heritor's right, it's just the first book that's set in that era. There are large gaps between the books. The Ctesias shorts are snippets between them but there's presumably all sorts of other adventures/inter-warband warfare offscreen, we only 'tune in' to what Ahriman's doing when it's concerning the central plot thread of the books.

I quite agree about Hounds of Wrath, the Ctesias stories are my favourite element of the Ahriman books.

Exactly. John has created an amazing character in Ctesias - daemon-collector but not a worshipper/ daemon summoner but not a slave of fate/ Ahriman 'friend' but also Icarus that want to fly to the sun (his death in this case)

Archived