Calgar's Fury .... any good?

Speaking of Guilliman, he told Dante to rebuild the moons of Baal but improve living condition there by a lot, despite the fact that irradiated wastes breed good recruits.

...that part was always an extremely illogical part of Astartes lore in my opinion. If the Ultramarines (and several of their successors) can get top class recruits from hyper-civilized worlds with some of the highest living standards of the Imperium doesn't that really disprove the 'harsher environments breed better warriors' theory?

It's more to do with the Blood Angels' souls.

The physical transformation from cancer ridden pock marked scavenger to angelic god being gives them such a sense of hope and optimism, one of their defining characteristics.

Pampering too much could lead to:

1) not being tough enough to make it to Angel's fall.

2) specific training programs to toughen up children and prepare them for astartes trials.

The first of which reduces recruit numbers and the second of which is anathema to the blood angels.

UM recruits are obviously tough enough. Are you saying BA lack discipline and strategy and thus must make up by virtue of strength? This like the Germanic tribes vs Romans situation. While barbarians did live in harsher environments, I do not think they were far ahead, if at all, of a Roman soldier. In turn, Romans had strategies and tactics which were beyond what the Germanic tribes had to offer.

I think this really comes down to tradition. Besides, I do not see psychological manipulation being that noble. Sure, it gives the recruits hope, but what of the thousands upon thousands who do not make it and succumb to their condition?