Knights

Dread

So with the impending doom, err ah, edition change, what do you think will happen to the IK? I own 5 so I hope they don't get to crippled or lose their own codex status. Let's hear some ideas.

They'll probably consolidate the Knights and the Titans in a single Codex.

Unlikely. Titans are FW, and FW considers knights NOT titans. Only GW considers them titans since they released them. Knight households and titan legions are entirely separate organisations, like guard and skitarii.

As for infantry support and such, guess you'll still have to take allies for that. Titan guard (aka Secutarii) only exist in the 30k mechanicum list yet, and require a real titan (warhound or bigger) to unlock secutarii as troops choices.

The promo website for the new edition (https://warhammer40000.com/setting/explore-the-factions/#armies-of-the-imperium) explicitly lists "Imperial Knights" as a distinct faction, alongside "Space Marines" and "Adeptus Mechanicus." It's pretty clear that they're going to be faction. (Also pretty clear that Skitarii and Cultmech are being merged, as was always going to happen.)

It's much too soon to say how they'll perform. Sure, they'll have high toughness and high wounds and whatever else, but until we see their special rules we don't really know anything useful. 

Like Bladewolf above, I personally wouldn't mind a small nerf if it means they're more usable in regular games. 

Edited by Shinespider

Now that's just fantastic. Hopefully since templates are gone, the inferno will will be more hits then a heavy flamer. Dancing battle cannons would be nice as well. Hopefully movement won't be to restricted. I'm glad they'll be putting out free codex since the old ones will be extinct.

Like Bladewolf above, I personally wouldn't mind a small nerf if it means they're more usable in regular games. 

At least, with the new toughness-strength chart, stuff below S6 has a remote chance of doing something. Otherwise, half of the army is instantly demoted to target practice or speedbump.

Well the fix isn't just for your opponents it's also for you as the all knight army player.

The problem i had with the knight army and why i didn't start it when i really wanted to was that in many cases if your opponent didn't have the guns they'd lose, and equaly importantly was if they did have the game you'd lose. Against some armies you could have a real game, but many just boiled down to binary out comes. 

It's kinda funny you say that. My opponents all figured out how to win by just getting a unit into cc with me asap. Stopped me from getting most objectives and they won. I really just played all Knights just because it's cool to see them on the table. I was usually stuck trying to keep from being charged.

I don't know if ya'll were playing objective games or just meat grinders but there is always a way to beat any army out there. Some used death stars, some just good ole tactics and some was luck of the dice. As long as fun is had, don't matter what faction you're playing.

No more "D" weapons is gonna be wierd and also no templates. I guess the explosion from defeat will be more of an area affect if it's even there at all anymore.

Well thier is is also more of a small arms fire. Like the flamer  looks like it'll put out a fair bit of damage to hordes, and you can expect a knight even without the sword to be pretty killy in melee. Really a wait and see kinda thing. 

Yup but speculating is half the fun of a new release, this will be my 6th. It's always been fun, we start a game and at midnight we stop, open the new, peruse the pages and adapt the new rules and play on. But this time it looks like we may just have to wait, then cobble a list and then fumble around a bit. See, sounds like fun.

I think Knights will struggle with anything that can throw Mortal Wounds, though to be fair I'd expect them to have a save of some kind versus this type of attack.  As many have predicted, it's likely their Stomps and special rules like D-Weapon status on the melee weapons will be rolled into their new datasheets, so I wouldn't panic about Knights going the way of the Dodo just yet . . .

Interesting tidbit:  the Stormsurge was revealed to have a new special rule (in the Tau faction review) called Walking Battleship, which lets it retreat from melee and still shoot.  One wonders if other big walkers (such as IK) will get a similar rule . . .

Interesting tidbit:  the Stormsurge was revealed to have a new special rule (in the Tau faction review) called Walking Battleship, which lets it retreat from melee and still shoot.  One wonders if other big walkers (such as IK) will get a similar rule . . .

Tau run away from anything that doesn't have a barrel. Knights are supposed to use exactly those weapons in glorious close combat. Why would knights want to walk away then? And what would their blueblood golf club think of that cowardice? :rolleyes:

I have decided that the new may not be as dismal as AoS was for me. With each passing day I smile more and am glad GW is doing this lead up to the new. I feel the IK are still gonna be a great force. Tic toc*

It's a shame to lose the Ion shield mechanic but I suppose it speeds the game up and reduces the potential for dispute. I can't say that's a bad set of rules. Now I just have to build the darn thing. :)