Starting Crimson Fists for 8th

So what with 8th edition just around the corner i decided to ditch my old Blood Angels (selling to my brother) and starting Crimson Fists.

I prefer the sheer versatility that vanilla marines can offer along with the models, like centurions, stormhawks/talons, thunderfire cannons and the like.

I know that list building right now is a pointless exercise, with the rules changing, but wanted to know what the Veterans out there though of this 1000pts for a good starting base model wise.

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Space Marines: Codex) ++

[Crimson Fists]

+ HQ (170pts) +

········Captain (170pts) w/ Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Space Marine Bike

+ Troops (515pts) +

········Bike Squad (185pts)

············Attack Bike [Heavy Bolter]

············2x Biker w/ Grav-gun

············2x Biker

············Biker Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Combi-Grav]

········2x Tactical Squad (330pts)

············Razorback w/ Dozer blade, Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter, Twin-Linked Lascannon

············3x Space Marine [boltgun]

············Space Marine (Heavy Weapon) [Heavy Bolter]

············Space Marine Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Boltgun]

+ Fast Attack (65pts) +

········Land Speeders (65pts)

············Land Speeder w/ Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter

+ Heavy Support (250pts) +

········Centurion Devastator Squad (250pts)

············2x Centurion w/ Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon

············Centurion Sergeant w/ Missile Launcher, Omniscope, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Is this a step in the right direction for a Crimson Fist force? Be great to have some comments & critisim on what can be made better or changed.

I think that is a pretty good, well rounded force. Definitely use Magnets on the Centurions because they're expensive and we don't know what loadouts will be good. I also magnetize my Biker Special weapons, which may be a good idea. I really have no idea if the Grav Domination will continue or not. 

The Centurions are already bought and magnetized fully so i can use them as either Dev or Assault.

The problem im facing at the moment is im looking to build the force out a bit before 8th drops so i can get some games in with them and not wait ages till they are tabletop ready (my blood angels haven't seen a lick of paint since i got them).

Until we have rules for 8th its going to be difficult to decide on loadout. The only thing i think of that i will always need is tacitical squads and transports. We may not even be able to take bikes as troops with a biker HQ.

Asking for the wisdom off all the community here....What units do we think will be a must have for 8th? Devs? Bikes? Thunderfire Cannons yes.gif ?

Asking for the wisdom off all the community here....What units do we think will be a must have for 8th? Devs? Bikes? Thunderfire Cannons yes.gif ?

I think Tactical Squads , fully sized and kitted out are looking promising. Dreadnoughts appear to be good now as well. With the changes to some weapons, Scouts seem more viable and if the post about AM Ratling Snipers is true of Sniper Scouts, then they're going to be very worth taking to deal with pesky characters.

Sternguard should be pretty good in 8th, they'll likely have a round that has a negative rend, maybe even -2 (pure speculation) one that ignores cover and perhaps one that wounds more easily.

Paint them with the guns off and wait to attach them when the mini codex drops, looking to probably add some combi weapons when the rules hit depending on points I guess.

With Crimson Fists it's possible that with Pedro they may also be scoring and as Imperial Fists successors they'll probably be more accurate with their bolt weapons.

Oh and they're great models too, and fit the Crimson Fists background as we have a higher percentage of Veterans that other chapters, or maybe we should say a lower number of Tactical Marines.

Obviously all this is just (sorta) educated guessing until the rules are released and could completely turn out to be totally wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

First thoughts on CF in 8th edition:

Sternguard, my favorite unit, seem pretty weak. Terminators are pricey but probably worth it with 2 Wounds and 4 Bolter shots each up 12''. Plus escape teleporting. Deathwatch Termies in particular seem insanely good with 3 Assault Cannons (6 shots each now!) behind 2 TH&SS! Rifleman Dreadnoughts looking intriguing too. Grav is somewhat niche now.

I think Tactical Squads , fully sized and kitted out are looking promising. Dreadnoughts appear to be good now as well.  With the changes to some weapons, Scouts seem more viable and if the post about AM Ratling Snipers is true of Sniper Scouts, then they're going to be very worth taking to deal with pesky characters.

Yeah, the way you can split fire now really works well with Tacticals. ATSKNF is a valuable boon for all marines. But it all depends on where the meta is; I have a gut feeling horde armies might become a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about White Scars? the list you show gives me white scar feels, despite the centurions. Is it a good list I don't know I don't have the new codex yet, but from leaks I seen that centurions aren't very cost efficient. Razorbacks seem like a solid choice in 8th as far as I'm aware (but what do I know haha), though do dozer blades do anything in 8th? again I don't know. All Imperial Fist/Crimson Fist players I personally know use devastator squads, aegis defence lines and usually spam tactical squads as well, which is why your list really gives me the white scars theme with all the fast vehicles.

If it helps any Devastators are probably going to be a solid choice with the new split fire.

^.^

Archived