Scale 75 paints and airbrush...

Hey folks,

Does anyone use scale 75 paints through an airbrush?

I'm having a nightmare at the moment using Blood Red, thinned 2:1 (thinner:paint) and it literally dries as soon as it touches the needle (0.4mm @ 18psi). I can hear it 'speckling' on the paper within 5 seconds of starting to blow paint...

Just wondering what works for someone else...

I use scale 75. I feel your frustration. I still haven't found the perfect ratio. What kinda thinner you using?

However with out insulting your intelligence, theirs a few things I have learn the hard way and maybe can you help out.

The paint needs to shakes/mixed for longer than any other paint have used. If you go to drop it in and see a clear liquid first, go back to shaking it.

Flow improver helps a lot, theirs few brands out their pick which one you like.

18psi is little high for me, I tone it down around 12-14 but that depend on your setup.

I tried 3to1 and flow improver, and mix it well. The old trick of blocking the needle and letting the air bubbles mix it will help give that extra mix.

As much as pain they are, they are really great paints. Just frustrating as :cuss when you see the YouTube videos and books of them effortlessly spraying and painting with ease, but spending hours trying to get the right ratio for thinning down

What I have found works really well with these issues is adding just a drop of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver. Don't know if that would work with scale 75 colours, but it may be worth a try?

iGiven my non air brush experience with Scale 75 a 2:1 water ratio seems way too little. They are thiiiick, so thin it right down. Flow improvers are definitely worth a shot as an additive. I'd be reluctant to use them with an airbrush, but drying retarders exist and it might be worth experimenting with them.

Thanks for the replies folks

I use scale 75. I feel your frustration. I still haven't found the perfect ratio. What kinda thinner you using?

However with out insulting your intelligence, theirs a few things I have learn the hard way and maybe can you help out.

The paint needs to shakes/mixed for longer than any other paint have used. If you go to drop it in and see a clear liquid first, go back to shaking it.

Flow improver helps a lot, theirs few brands out their pick which one you like.

18psi is little high for me, I tone it down around 12-14 but that depend on your setup.

I tried 3to1 and flow improver, and mix it well. The old trick of blocking the needle and letting the air bubbles mix it will help give that extra mix.

As much as pain they are, they are really great paints. Just frustrating as censored.gif when you see the YouTube videos and books of them effortlessly spraying and painting with ease, but spending hours trying to get the right ratio for thinning down

I know how bad they can be to mix correctly, hence I got a vortex mixer and put an agitator in the bottle. A 30 sec spin mixes everything :)

I thin my Scale 75 (never sprayed their metallics) with water and have never had a problem over the last few years.

Cheers

What I have found works really well with these issues is adding just a drop of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver. Don't know if that would work with scale 75 colours, but it may be worth a try?

iGiven my non air brush experience with Scale 75 a 2:1 water ratio seems way too little. They are thiiiick, so thin it right down. Flow improvers are definitely worth a shot as an additive. I'd be reluctant to use them with an airbrush, but drying retarders exist and it might be worth experimenting with them.

I tried mixing with purely flow improver and still got the speckling... Think next time I give it a go I'll start with about 5ml of improver and add paint a drop at a time until I get the correct consistency, at least then I can store the excess in a spare dropper bottle :)

I can answer this! I had the same problems and finally figured it out after a lot of frustration.

The problem is not your mix or ratio. There's a reaction going on between your thinner and the paint. That's why the gentleman above mentioned he's had no trouble when mixing with water or flow improver, but you're having zero luck using your current thinner no matter how well you mix it.

While you *can* just use water, I don't recommend it. You can do better. The trick is to just use a different thinner. When I'm spraying S75 paints, I use Liquitex Airbrush medium (https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professional-Airbrush-Effects-Medium/dp/B001US2NQA/ref=sr_1_1/135-6699907-4382047?ie=UTF8&qid=1494446597&sr=8-1&keywords=liquitex+airbrush+medium ), which is a really fantastic thinner that will allow you to dilute the hell out of your paints without losing consistency or getting tide marks. 

FYI, this is a rare issue but you will occasionally run into it in weird edge cases with specific colors from specific ranges. If you notice the paint coagulating or separating in the cup, your thinner is the culprit.

I can answer this! I had the same problems and finally figured it out after a lot of frustration.

The problem is not your mix or ratio. There's a reaction going on between your thinner and the paint. That's why the gentleman above mentioned he's had no trouble when mixing with water or flow improver, but you're having zero luck using your current thinner no matter how well you mix it.

While you *can* just use water, I don't recommend it. You can do better. The trick is to just use a different thinner. When I'm spraying S75 paints, I use Liquitex Airbrush medium (https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professional-Airbrush-Effects-Medium/dp/B001US2NQA/ref=sr_1_1/135-6699907-4382047?ie=UTF8&qid=1494446597&sr=8-1&keywords=liquitex+airbrush+medium ), which is a really fantastic thinner that will allow you to dilute the hell out of your paints without losing consistency or getting tide marks. 

FYI, this is a rare issue but you will occasionally run into it in weird edge cases with specific colors from specific ranges. If you notice the paint coagulating or separating in the cup, your thinner is the culprit.

Thats interest take with liquitex, what ratio you using?

Hey folks,

I'm having a nightmare at the moment using Blood Red, thinned 2:1 (thinner:paint) and it literally dries as soon as it touches the needle (0.4mm @ 18psi). I can hear it 'speckling' on the paper within 5 seconds of starting to blow paint...

May I ask what type of thinner you use?

Hey folks,

May I ask what type of thinner you use?

I use Vallejo airbrush thinner. I have some golden airbrush medium that I may try. Gone back to a brush for now lol

For my current Ultramarine legion project, I thin 4 or 5/1 (right now its 1 drop paint, 1 drop flow improver, 4 drops of medium). Goes on in 4-5 super thin coats just like a glaze, and the paint stays 100% consistent. No pooling, splattering, separation, etc that you'd see if you tried to thin that far with water or windex.

I use Vallejo airbrush thinner. 

Yeah, that's what I was trying to use initially too. Vallejo thinner just reacts poorly with S75 paint. Definitely try the Liquitex, don't give up!

For my current Ultramarine legion project, I thin 4 or 5/1 (right now its 1 drop paint, 1 drop flow improver, 4 drops of medium). Goes on in 4-5 super thin coats just like a glaze, and the paint stays 100% consistent. No pooling, splattering, separation, etc that you'd see if you tried to thin that far with water or windex.

I use Vallejo airbrush thinner. 

Yeah, that's what I was trying to use initially too. Vallejo thinner just reacts poorly with S75 paint. Definitely try the Liquitex, don't give up!

Cheers. I've ordered some liquitex medium and flow aid, let's see how it goes :)

I've been getting my airbrush up and running again and experimenting with Scale75 paints.

Scale75's own thinner seems to work well, and I think an ideal ratio of paint to thinner with that is somewhere in the 3:2 to 2:1 area.

OP,

Regardless of brand or thinning all acrylics share the same qualities of drying relatively fast. I can work a little bit longer with my Vallejo paints than I can my GW paints but surely enough the trip dry is equally a problem. It is necessary to use some type of flow improver to avoid tip dry with any acrylic paint.

Archived