Ahriman's Exiles- Best Practices

Prot

So as seventh comes to a close I'm trying to get more.... 'hardcore' games in against ITC competition. I just got another Magnus based game in but I started wondering if there's any way Ahriman's Exiles can compete?

In an 1850 list, my Exiles have been typically very expensive sitting at well over 700 points of course this is more than Magnus but arguably more flexible.

What do you think is the best configuration for the Exiles? How are you typically fielding them?

I agree with raven but i use cultists instead of tzaangors. The important thing you can do with the exiles is put them all on disks to move, psychic (can target seperate targets, and or split off to get better range for sniping), then turbo boost out of LOS or onto objectives. Is good.

Here's what I usually do with the Exiles when I run Sekhmet Conclave as Core (It doesn't really change from opponent to opponent):

1850pts:

-Ahriman on Disc

-Lvl 3 Exalted

-Lvl 3 Exalted

-Lvl 3 Exalted

-Sorcerer w/ Astral Grimoire

-5 SO Terminators w/ Hellfyre 

-Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsons

Basic, I know. 

Ahriman rolls on Ectomancy once, twice, then maybe takes Psychic Shriek from Telepathy. You might want Warpshock, but the goal here is to get Soulswitch or Ghost Storm. Maybe he has Empyric Shield for a 2+ (which means you can detach from units more often to get into critical range for Shriek)

At least one terminator takes Summoning. With 20+d6 Warp Charge and Ahriman generating on 3+, you can easily toss 8-9 warp charge at it at least twice in the game if not more, since you've fulfilled the main detachment for re-roll Perils.

General idea is that Ahriman moves up, Shrieks stuff, Soulswitches the Terminator Star in, Terminators or Exalted summons Pink Horrors (can run to hopefully block charge, or you might be able to charge with the terminators and leave the horrors where they pop). At this point, ESPECIALLY if Ahriman has Empyric Shield going, you can turboboost right back up towards the enemy to prepare for next turn and to tempt them with a threat that won't die easy (2++ T5 obviously).

It's very easy to keep the Exalteds near Ahriman on foot between his disc and their Astral Grimoire from the taxi sorcerer

Wait why are you asking about all this? You're the one we've all been learning from!

Thanks for your ideas guys. Right now when I run Exiles it has been exclusively within a War Coven. I just strongly believe in the re-roll perils a ton, especially when opting in for some low level summoning.

Here's what I usually do with the Exiles when I run Sekhmet Conclave as Core (It doesn't really change from opponent to opponent):

/snip

Ahriman rolls on Ectomancy once, twice, then maybe takes Psychic Shriek from Telepathy. You might want Warpshock, but the goal here is to get Soulswitch or Ghost Storm. Maybe he has Empyric Shield for a 2+ (which means you can detach from units more often to get into critical range for Shriek)

At least one terminator takes Summoning. With 20+d6 Warp Charge and Ahriman generating on 3+, you can easily toss 8-9 warp charge at it at least twice in the game if not more, since you've fulfilled the main detachment for re-roll Perils.

General idea is that Ahriman moves up, Shrieks stuff, Soulswitches the Terminator Star in, Terminators or Exalted summons Pink Horrors (can run to hopefully block charge, or you might be able to charge with the terminators and leave the horrors where they pop). At this point, ESPECIALLY if Ahriman has Empyric Shield going, you can turboboost right back up towards the enemy to prepare for next turn and to tempt them with a threat that won't die easy (2++ T5 obviously).

It's very easy to keep the Exalteds near Ahriman on foot between his disc and their Astral Grimoire from the taxi sorcerer

This is very similar to my original favorite with the exception that I'm using a vanilla Dual Las pred with typically no sponsons (to get the Astral Grimoire Sorc in Termie Armour).

I've never been huge on Ectomancy and I know how much you like it. I may give this a more serious attempt my next game!

Wait why are you asking about all this? You're the one we've all been learning from!

Oh baloney. We all learn from each other. It's been great exchanging ideas with you guys and I think we all benefit. It's the pixie dust that makes the BnC work. :)

I have been playing more with Magnus and am helping some friends prepare for an ITC GT locally. (I just posted one of our games today (vs Admech)). So whatever I take has to be able to contend with that level of play.

I love Ahriman and thought this would be a good way to test myself in that arena!

Archived