GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Thanks for he kind words brother_b!

I feel compelled to point out that the post with the landraider features models that aren't mine! Luther posted them as some examples in response to a question I asked - so no credit to me!

Hope you like my models too though!

Hi neonmole,

I'm just starting with Blood Angels. Like you, I'm not too keen on the pretty-boy aesthetic and had considered starting with Space Marines so I could choose a grittier-looking chapter but your tactical squad convinced me that Blood Angels could look tough too. Excellent work.

You asked earlier about shading black with an airbrush. I'm sure you've seen them but Buypainted has some videos on Youtube showing how he did his. There are five videos in total so I'll just link the search.

Looking forward to seeing more of your models.

@Wizardsteve

Glad I was able to be of help! As I mentioned in my initial post, I got into 40k when the Blood Angels were the angels of death (that was even the codex name back then in 2nd!), and I always loved that aesthetic. No justin bieber hairstyle heads for me*.

Edited by neonmole

Thanks for all the comments guys! I sincerely appreciate it all :smile.:

Some updates to share! 

In the army list that I am initially targeting I have 3 squads of tactical marines to fill my battalion troops choices. With this in mind I resolved to complete these so that I have the basics out of the way! Last weekend I did just that! 

I needed to build an additional 2 sergeants, and 2 heavy flamer dudes to compliment the models I painted out of the initial tac squad box that I did at the start of the project, plus a couple of extra bolter guys.

(yet to be named...) Tac Squad 1:

ReCIg8Y.jpg

(yet to be named...) Tac Squad 2:

pG9m72n.jpg

(yet to be named...) Tac Squad 3:

cmz7Nuc.jpg

As you can see, some light conversion work here. I used the running legs from the Death Company kit on of the 2nd Seargent, as well as the two additional heavy flamer guys, as well as some random Space Marine heads I had laying around. (I think they are both from the Veterans set?)

Also - I have settled on a recipe for the my Death Company! I felt in the end like the initial test was too grey, and not black enough... Im pretty happy with this guy though! 

Death Company Test Dude:

ng5c0Pv.jpg

I am very keen for opinions on this one... Its not too late to adjust, and obviously getting it right on the test is key before painting a ton of guys!

Particularly... I want to have it right before I apply anything to this...

Death Company Dreadnought Conversion:

yTdxDFj.jpg

bFszA1x.jpg

This will of course be my Death Company Dreadnought! Currently I have completed the conversion / posing on all the parts, but he is yet to be assembled! This is due to the fact he needs to be painted in bits...

Its based on the Forge World Chaplain Dreadnought model, but converted to include a Magna Grapple on the top. This was *ALOT* harder than I thought it would be initially, as it doesn't fit at all well on the FW model, however, with a lot of cutting and sanding - as well as the armour plates to cover some of the mess/gaps, and I am super happy with the result! I have also dome some conversion work on the legs/arms to get a really cool dynamic pose, can't wait till I can glue it all together!

I hope you guys enjoy the pics! Comments of all varieties welcome as always! 

Cheers.

Joe

PS. Got my 3rd game of 8th tomorrow, vs AdMech. Im 2-0 right now (:thumbsup:) , but never played AdMech before (they didn't exist when I used to play!)

Wish me luck!

Edited by neonmole

New DC marine does look much better! The black fits in with the rest of the force. Well done on that magna grapple conversion too, that's a tough bit of work. Tacticals are a lovely job as always.

The only thing I'd add is to drill your barrels brother :)

I know.. I should drill them! I am just a bit scared to do it now as it might mess up the paint. Perhaps I should be brace and try it on a test guy... fear of the unknown!

As a brief gaming update - I won my game vs. AdMech at the weekend! After some pretty hairy early turns (some of thier shooting is insane!) I managed to tie stuff up in combat and win out. My mobility was really a key as I was able to gain a massive lead in the VPs, putting him in a must table situation.

It was really interesting playing AdMech though as I had no idea what to expect, since they didn't exist in my heyday. They seem a really cool, different army though!

Loving 8th so far! (Nice to know the hours and hours of painting and modding time have a purpose I enjoy! Haha)

Hi Guys,

I finally finished my Sanguinary Guard unit!

This was actually something of an intentional delay... I was getting real sick of painting gold. I actually messed up the last 2 so I had to remake them, etc. Felt like I needed a break from these guys.

However, having finished them, I am really proud of the way they turned out.

GOlIA6n.jpg

6HvUWgG.jpg

I hope you guys like them! One of the rare times I am actually more or less 100% happy with the results!

Cheers 

Joe 

You have an awesome looking army!  I can't wait to see the dreadnought painted in your style too, its already a pretty sweet conversion.

Oh, and if you don't want to drill your barrels you could always just paint a black dot on the barrel instead.  That way it looks better than just flat silver and you can always go back and drill them out later if you are feeling brave. :tongue.: Either way though, you have a great looking army!

Those sang guards looks amazing. Well your red marines does aswell.

Little tip for drilling: Mark the center of the barrel with the point of your exacto knife, before you drill. I find it easy'er to hit the center with the knifte than the drill.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Back with an update!

Finished (kinda) my first lot of Death Company. I say "kinda" as you will notice there are only 9 below, which would be an odd number... I messed up the 10th guy a bit so I have re-primed him. Finish him later this week...

I am pretty happy with the result - though I wouldn't say I feel they are a home run (in my own mind, not that my stuff is that way objectively speaking!), in the same way I felt about the Sanguinary Guard for example. I guess I found painting black a bit of a challenge, as I really like to do a lot of airbrush highlights etc, and I found it very challenge to do this on black without going too harsh and getting grey armoured marines, or going too subtle and them being boring to look at.

Im reasonably happy with the middle ground I hit.

QQSTALX.jpg

TrooP2S.jpg

And heres a shot of a squad as I intend to use them (2x5 with 2 Power Swords & a Thunder Hammer). This shot also shows them in a brighter light, so maybe it illustrates the "black" I was going for a little better. As well as how they contrast with the red of my other models.

DSOC2Oq.jpg

Hope you like them! As per the whole grim dark thing, sinister was the order of the day, I really wanted to capture that aspect. That was one of the reasons I chose to go all black on the weapons etc, rather than the traditional bright red.

Cheers guys, more soon I hope! Maybe a character? Feel like Ive done enough now to earn it!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Back with some stuff that I am sincerely proud of and excited to share with you guys! After listening to the "Dante" audiobook (which was pretty good by the way!) I decided I needed the chapter master himself to lead. I also decided that I wanted to add some psychic might to my army, and I have always loved Mephiston! He also seems to be from a game standpoint the best psyker choice for a BA army, combining the abilities you would get with any Lib, with enhanced psychic defence (2 denies) and be a beat stick to boot.

These two obviously have ancient models, that which classics, just don't cut it anymore. I mean seriously, they existed in 2nd edition when I got into this game 20 years ago... As such I resolved to build my own! As such I give you my renditions of Dante & Mephiston!

Dante:

NAmBiZ5.jpg

7yG94ht.jpg

HgfQzFY.jpg

kKk0zI7.jpg

Mephiston:

KQUmym9.jpg

85QbHTy.jpg

piApS3k.jpg

Mighty Heroes Together!:

kiAAMN6.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of picture! As you can tell they are direct from my painting station, couldnt wait to share them so I thought I would just take some quick shots! I will save the high quality ones for when they are painted up!

If anyone is curious about the parts used-

Dante - 90% sanguinary guard, with some bits from the primaris chaplain kit, plus a random wreath I found in my bits box

Mephiston - based on the primaris chaplain, dark angel sword (with heavy conversion - removed DA icons, added skulls) khorne berserker skull shoulder, random plasma end added to primaris chaplain pistol, an high elf head I bought off eBay - no idea what it comes from)

I hope you like them, they were some of the most fun I have had with this project so far. While I am very pleased with both, Mephiston is the more satisfying, as I have been trying to figure out how to do him for a while (my greenstuff skills are poor), and struggling with how. The idea of the primaris chaplain as a base just hit me the other day, and I couldnt be more pleased with how it came together!

Cheers,

Joe

I really like the mephiston. And it doesnt look to advanced so i might be able to pull something like it off. Will have to steal it whenever i need a mephy mini. 

Keep up the great work. It is really inspirering!

@Jonke - yeah it’s not that hard! And you could do less that I have for much the same effect! It’s just an advanced kitbash really! All of my conversions are, as I am not talented with green stuff so sculpting new components of any reasonable quality is just out of the question! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, eBay bits sellers are th truth!!

I think the Dante looks better in person having reviewed these (bad) pics. I haven’t really captured the pose in th photos. I was going for “angelic ascension”... or something...