GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Thanks guys.

Thought I would share what I am working on this week!

I am off to the Alliance GT in Amsterdam on Friday, and the only model I still have to paint is a smash captain. I am going with the pure Primaris theme outside on this model, however as the Alliance GT is quite compatible I thought it reasonable to make this small concession. I can still make it work aesthetically though! Which is why I’m building new Smash cap, in Primaris scale! Obviously just for looks, rules wise he’s a normal captain.

Mostly finished the build today, will start painting tomorrow!

giETr23.jpg

Hope you like him! Excited to get some colour on there!

Cheers!

Haha that was what I was going to suggest for him!

Also, this is suuuuuper nit picky, but I feel like that pistol holster cheapens him as the leader. It's on every other primaris model, so rather than distinguishing him, it makes him blend in. Just my two cents. Otherwise, great pose and cant wait to see your paint job!

Where did you get the other bits for the thunder hammer shaft? All my thunder hammers have a shorter shaft, or elese they are two-handed types that I really don't like to use because I want the other hand to be wielding a gun of some kind.

Pretty sure that's the top 2/3 of a standard DC double-handed hammer with the shaft cut off at before the left hand grip.The clever bit is the bottom bit (attached under the wrapping) then looks like the top part of another hammer - possibly a blood angels terminator hammer? - with the hammer head removed and a new cable added to cover up where the normal 90deg cable attaches. Curious to find out myself!

Almost exactly right!

The hammer is made of 3 pieces, though it should only be 2.. had a boo boo during the build that meant I had to improvise..

Head of the hammer is from the D.C. kit, the middle is a hand holding a random weapon (can’t remember what, hammer or axe) from the vanguard kit, and the lower part is again from the vanguard kit, the hilt of power axe, or thunder hammer, again, can’t remember which!

There is no reason for the head and the middle/hand part to be separate, I just messed it up and had to find a way to fix it!

I actually dropped it this morning and the hammer broke.. actually a blessing in disguise as it was pretty brittle and bound to happen, it’s now rebuilt and reinforced with pins throughout! So hopefully solid as a rock now :)

Edited by neonmole

And here he is!

Finished before my flight to the event tomorrow, and it’s only 1am! Standard practice... sigh.

2aI2aWe.jpg

FvU9L5H.jpg

As you can see... the shield changed. I was having real trouble getting it to attach to the arm well, kept breaking off, and eventually was left with an unsightly mess of glue that I was struggling to hide. I have seen this shield idea done elsewhere so I thought I would give it a try! I think it works well :) I guess I’ll strip and sand down the other one and use on another project.

Really pleased with this guy, and ready to go let him smash some things at the Amsterdam GT! Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Edited by neonmole

Really interesting build, particularLy like the idea of using Mk X as Artificer Armour - or at least that's what I might do should I ever get a Primaris ;)

Good to see another one using wing-pattern storm shields too :tu:

All the best for your event :)

I'm a bit sad you didn't get to use my favourite Storm Shield after all but the wing as shield works well too!

Only thing I don't like about your conversion all that much is that it looks like he has no Jump Pack when you see him from the front but that's probably just the pictures and is more than fine on the table itself. ;)

Hi. Quick question from a novice airbrusher trying to paint in a similar way. You posted pics of your repulsors in post no. 231 in June where they were still blue and white: do you use any form of masking when spraying the white (paper, tape, your thumb etc.)?

Specifically I was looking at the edges of the grenade launcher semi-circle 'cut-outs' where you seem to have been able to spray the white all the way round without any overspray into the grenade launcher "well". It's probably because I'm new at it and don't have the required control of the airbrush but I can't seem to keep the overspray from going out too far - will keep trying though.

Thanks for the amazing and inspiring blog and pictures.

Regards

Hi. Quick question from a novice airbrusher trying to paint in a similar way. You posted pics of your repulsors in post no. 231 in June where they were still blue and white: do you use any form of masking when spraying the white (paper, tape, your thumb etc.)?

Specifically I was looking at the edges of the grenade launcher semi-circle 'cut-outs' where you seem to have been able to spray the white all the way round without any overspray into the grenade launcher "well". It's probably because I'm new at it and don't have the required control of the airbrush but I can't seem to keep the overspray from going out too far - will keep trying though.

Thanks for the amazing and inspiring blog and pictures.

Regards

So the answer is that I do mask, but the parts specifically you are referring too were painted as sub assemblies. I do that wherever possible. You can use anything to make, a transfer sheet is good as a quick shield, or masking tape for bigger jobs!

To answer your other question, I do still use the yellow before the red.

Hope that helps and thankyou!

Edited by neonmole

Hi guys!

Just got back from Amsterdam, and the Alliance GT - a 2k, 120 player ITC tournament.

This is the second event I have taken my primaris BA too, after a 5th place (/40) finish at No Retreat VII. That was a great result for me, but ultimately NR is a restricted, mono faction event, so I was somewhat apprehensive going into this one, as it is a much more cut throat, no holds barred format with many of the best players in Europe - packing the filthiest lists...

I took:

Battalion

- Primaris Captain (WL artisan of war)

- Primaris Lt

- Smash Captain (hammer of baal)

- 5 Intercessors

- 5 Intercessors

- 5 Intercessors

- Redemptor Dreadnought (heavy onslaught)

- Redemptor Dreadnought (heavy onslaught)

- Repulsor (lascannon loadout)

2k / 8 CP

After some fun in Amsterdam on the Friday we go into game 1...

Game 1 - Imperial Soup

- Smash Captain

- Mephiston

- 3x5 BA Scouts

- guard battalion

- 3 knights (crusader, gallant, errant

19 CP(!)

So a very hard game 1. I managed to draw this one in the end, which I was very happy with. Some highlights included my smash captain destroying his knight... and it subsequently getting back up! Which happened twice more this game - meaning I had to kill a single knight 3 times! And it continues at full efficiency of course with the use of stratagems. I didn’t have too much left on the board at the end of the game, but did enough to walk away with a draw, and 10 pts.

DRAW 10-10

The knights advance on the Blood Angels position...

S4qQ1pg.jpg

Game 2 - Tyranids / GSC

(Roughly)

- Malanthrope

- Neurothrope

- 4 x 30 gaunts

- 3 x 3 biovores

- 3 x 5 zoanthropes

- 2 GSC Psykers

- 3 GSC Blobs

(All strike from shadows)

This was a hard game as I don’t know nids that well (I certainly do by the end of this event!), but ultimately I was able to pull out the win. As you can probably tell, the name of his game is chaff screening, and an insane mortal wound output with a ton of smites and the biovores. One of the highlights (hairiest) moments in this game was him getting off a GSC power that allows him to take control of one of my repulsors, and have it shoot my own units! This is obviously devastating, but thankfully my Captain killed that magos so he only cast it once. By the end of this one I was able to win big on objectives, and pretty much tabled him. So far so good! Max pts win.

WIN 20-0

The spear of Baal makes planetfall to continue the purge of the remnant Tyranids threat in the proximity of the Baal system...

JUsMLPm.jpg

The Xenos emerge from the shadows...

o5Yidbc.jpg

The Novus Sanguine respond with uncompromising brutality...

NSch9q5.jpg

Game 3 - Ynnari

- Yvrainne

- Farseer

- Warlocks

- 3 x 5 rangers (alaitoc)

- 3 x 5 warp spiders (alaitoc)

- 10 shining spears (samm hain)

- 9 dark reapers (alaitoc)

- 2 x 5 swooping hawks (alaitoc)

- 3 wave serpents (alaitoc)

- Maybe some other bits...

Next to my game 1, this is obviously “the list” as far as the competitive meta goes, so a serious test for my poor single battalion Primaris! Ultimately it resulted in my second dead draw of the event, so I walked away with 10 pts which is a great result for me. Nothing to highlight this game as such, but again, it was about playing objectives, scoring pts, and focusing on the mission. I actually would have won by 4 VPs, but we were playing the mission where objective markers dissappear as the game progesses, and the one I was holding vanished on my last turn (50% roll).

That was frustrating of course, losing me the clear win in a very hard matchup, but ultimately, the dice are what they are, and a draw is still great here! Didn’t make a huge difference from a tournament pts perspective anyway.

DRAW 10-10

Game 4 - Tyranids

- Flyrant

- Flyrant

- Neurothrope

- Malanthrope

- 2 x 20 genestealers

- 3 x 3 ripper bases

- 30 gaunts

- 3 x 5 zoanthropes (again...)

- Old one eye

Wow, so this is basically an (IMO) upgraded version of my game 2 opponent, but I went in with some confidence knowing I had won this matchup already, and had a much better grasp of what to do. The mission here was the relic, so quite tough as I need to advance on him... I was able to pull out another big win though... he was not able to withstand the grinding advance if my host! Not a huge amount to talk about here, the game ended with just 3 rippers hiding in the corner, and a large part of my army sitting on the objectives, and holding the relic. So a big win! The primaris remain undefeated!

WIN 17-3

The Blood Angels attack, enraged and disgusted by the sinister Xenos warp beats...

825t9gz.jpg

Glorious battle is joined!...

wxVwAv6.jpg

I was really thrilled at this point to learn that I had nominated for best army, and that I should present my army for voting over lunch. I didn’t win, but really cool to get a nod. All the nominees were tremendous. Worthy adversaries for the sons of Sanguinius!

gKmZzhl.jpg

Game 5 - Drucharii / Eldar

- Archon

- Haemonculus

- Urien

- 3 x 5 wracks

- 3 disintegrator ravagers

- 3 x 3 talos (all double haywire)

- farseer (doom of course)

- Warlock (jynx)

- 3 x 5 rangers (alaitoc)

Wow, i knew exactly what I was up against as soon as I saw my opponents name - Mark Crombleholme. Mark and I have been friends since NRVI where we actually played in the second round. Mark is an outstanding player who is in the top of the 20 ITC global rankings... in other words, a beast as far as competitive 40k is concerned, with a list to back it up. This is an HARD matchup for me...

What follows is a crazy game, that I feel we both played really quite well, and one of the highest scoring games I have played in a long time. It was looking very bleak for me, but I managed to kill all 3 ravagers in combat between a redemptor dreadnought, and my Captain fighting twice. Still in the game...

It ended with both our armies in tatters (mine worse than his) and a scoreline of 43-41... to Mark!! That turns it into the narrowest of wins for the Eldar soup, in what was easily my hardest game of the event, and one of my favourite ever!

LOSS 9-11

So when the dust settles, i end the tournament in 9th place (/122!).

I really couldn’t have been happier with this result. I didn’t have the highest of hopes going into this kind of event with my primaris, but I outstripped my own expectations enormously, and shock A LOT of people with the result. I would have loved to go undefeated! (Just 2 more VPs in that last game) but it wasn’t to be, and gives me a new goal for the GT Heat 4 in Feb, which I will now approach with a new confidence!

I hope my experiences have a similar effect on my BA brothers - that “the meta” is not the be all and end all, and that quality play still matters in this game. Go forth sons of Sanguinius!

TLDR: I got into a staring contest with the meta... and the meta blinked!

Edited by neonmole

That's fantastic man! Care to share any insights into tactics you used? How you used your Cpts and LT and their auras, etc. How did you find your damage output to be with the three repulsors and two dreads? It seems like you had armor saturation, combined with fairly decent output, both anti tank and horde with your loadouts. Again, cheers, your army looks great and love seeing unique ways to use our sons of sanguinius!