GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

You guys are really kind, thankyou for the words of encouragement! It's really a huge motivation boost for me, since the process can be slow and the end (or at least a good size force!) seem so far away. Thankyou!

Killacam - I can take no credit for the foundation of the red recipe! It is from a guy (who posts here) called Luther, I came across his blog, "The Mighty Brush". On there you can find a pretty extensive tutorial on how to paint a tactical marine, which was the inspiration for what I am doing. I have changed up some of the colours slightly to suit my tastes, and my execution surely varies but if you follow what he outlines you will achieve an incredible result, and one that is pretty close to what I am doing.

Check it out here: http://www.themightybrush.com/how-to-paint-blood-angels-part-i/

Let me know if you have any specific questions - more than happy to help. (I also outlined how I do the gold on an earlier post in this thread).

Cheers

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

So I actually have some progress to share!

Assault Terminator Squad:

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

I was pretty happy with how these guys turned out, and I think the overall effect of the unit is good. That said, I feel I got bit lazy on a couple of the guys (hammernators) as I got to the end of painting the unit -  I was sort of in "strip painting mode" and getting a bit bored. Its not a big deal though, as I said, I think the overall effect is OK!

Here is a group shot of them with me other completed units. Also shows them in a different light, the other shots are under a natural "white" light, whereas this is a lot brighter artificial light at my painting station.

IMG_0664.jpg

There is also a guest star in this shot! My captain that I have been waiting on parts to convert! (ebay bits sellers are the best thing every... Didn't really exist in my heyday!).

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

I wanted to capture a real "angel of death" /vengeance vibe! Hence the dual melee weapons (which is actually not *totally* useless in the new rules! The primary weapon, the big axe, will be a relic blade. I hope you like him, I am super happy with the result - really looking forward to painting him up, planning to go the all gold route. I will likely not repeat the realistic bio-technology wings on the sanguinary guard (I would likely just have naked jump packs on them - I hate the blocky wings they come with) though I may do this for my other characters, of which I get the feeling there will be many in the 8th!

Thanks as always for the comments guys, you are awesome motivation!

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by neonmole

Love the assault termies! I tried out your source scheme the other day (I'm experimenting with redoing my BA via airbrush) and ended up far more day-glo red - think I must have gone far too heavy on the yellow pre-coat. Tough one to pull off!

Captain is brutal. Those are scourge feathered wings, yes? I've been thinking of using them for a similar single-jet dante conversion, and they look even cooler than I'd hoped.

Thanks man. Yeah, the red is a little tricky to get right. I went though a box of tactical marines testing before I got it down. The biggest piece of advice I can give is that contrast is key. It really is about having areas of light & dark, it looks a little weird at a halfway stage, but once you are all the way done the washes and final highlights bring it all together.

They are indeed scourge wings, weren't too much of a chore to fit on, though not super easy. The join is basically hidden between the shoulder pad and the jump pack, but they are basically attached with GS.

Cheers

And I just realised where I went really wrong. I used vallejo "red RLM23" 003 - which is what used to be "scarlet red" 003 - I *thought* they looked similar! The mightybrush tutorial uses "Red RLM23" 102 (which is now just "Red" 102) which is a much darker and more magenta-ish shade.

Gaaaah. Fortunately I've been using Dark Vengeance dark angels as sacrificial test pieces, so who cares if they go in the biostrip! Cheers for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've got something new to share with you guys! Since my last post my hobby time has been mostly occupied with building rather than painting. Usually I only build something when I am ready to paint it, but with 8th ready to roll I am eager to have enough models built to play at least a small game! That said, I hate playing with unpinning minis so its extra incentive to get rolling...

I have just finished the first, I guess he would qualify as a "test" model, for my Sanguinary Guard unit. I was determined to include to include a unit of these guys, just for the looks and background, the fact that they seem quite nice in 8th is just a bonus. 

I was relatively confident with the gold seeing as I have used the same recipe on the rest of the gold in the army, obviously this is a much larger amount though. Im pretty please with how it turned out, see what you think!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/neonmole/IMG_0700_zpso2b7uffy.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/neonmole/IMG_0701_zpssudtlpok.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/neonmole/IMG_0699_zpsdol2gs8q.jpg

Overall, Im happy. There were definitely lessons learned painting this amount of gold, that I will be sure to apply to the rest of the unit. The gold didn't turn out as "smooth" as I wanted in all areas, mainly the legs, but I am confident I can improve it on the rest of the unit!

I hope you guys like him. Ill do some high quality shots when I finish the squad.

Let me know your thoughts!

Feel free to borrow as much as you like! I certainly have...

If you check back a bit in this thread I actually explained my gold process, as another guy wanted to know.

I hope it's helpful!

Yup yup! Found it and linked it from my thread to yours so others can see where I found it.

Cheers Aothaine - thanks for speading I round! Hopefully others will find it helpful too :)

Thanks Bjorn, I really enjoyed making the kit (though that box has pretty bad mould lines..). I couldn't get the poses I wanted using just glue, I ended up using GS on the join between the torso &I legs for a bit more flexibility. Helps a ton. I think the rest of the unit is pretty cool too, though I absolutely love the sword on this guy! Hence he got painted first :)

Your marines look awesome dude, love the red and the gold, hope to get my own like that one day, airbrush is in the post haha!

How do you do your bases by the way? They look truly realistic.

Edited by viewasjack

Thanks man! With a bit of patience with the airbrush I'm sure you will achieve great results! I found it quite easy to get some good results in a short time - with some good guidance and a willingness to ask a lot of questions!

The bases are quite easy, though are quite time consuming due to the amount of dying time..

1. Think coat of Armageddon Dust (finer) and a bit of Armageddon Dunes (grainier) to the mix on the base

2. Keep an eye on it and as it dries "sculpt" the mix into interesting shapes. Craters etc...

3. Wash (liberally) with agrax earthshade. Sometime a second thin coat needed.

4. Make a mix of 50% agrax, 50% nuln oil, and thin with about an equal amount of lahmian medium. Wash with this, not too thick

5. Pretty heavy dry brush with Vallejo burnt ember (I believe it's called..)

6. Very light dry brush with tyrant skull.

There you go! Hope that's helpful. As I said. It's really not hard. But the first 4 stages take ages to dry.

As a final note. Sometimes the base comes out shiny. I have no idea why. If this happens just apply a layer of lahmian medium, which will dull it to a matt finish. I do his though an airbrush but you could easily brush on.

Cheers!

Joe

For those interested. (And for my own chronicling purposes!);

I added a few details to the sanguinary guard test model, and cleaned up the gold a little bit (increasing the contrast of the shading & "smoothness" on the flat areas - jump pack etc), I'm now quite satisfied with him and ready to apply to the rest of the squad!

Here he is now:

*Deleted due to photo bucket issues*

*See below for pics of the Sanguinary Guard so far!*

Progress is slow! But the project is starting to show signs of results! I'm hoping in a month or two to have a small force ready to play some games. On the painting shelf are the rest of the SG, my captain, and a second tactical squad (this time with melta loadout) in a razorback.

Beyond that my next purchase will probably be a deathcompany unit. Though I am a bit nervous about that as I haven't painted black using an airbrush yet... anyone go any good tips for this?

Cheers guys!
Joe

Edited by neonmole

That soft color your're getting on the models is from the air brush right? If so I'm going to need to get one. Really think this will be stunning on Flesh Tearers and it is amazing on your Blood Angels.

Eagerly awaiting the Captain. ^_^

Edited by Aothaine

• 2 weeks later...

*apparently Photobucket now wants people to pay for linking images. lol. Good luck with that guys. I'll go back though what I have uploaded already when I get the chance and repost after I have shifted it across to my new library*

Progress has been very slow, unfortunate due to real life obligations, work etc. I did manage to complete another member of my SG squad this weekend though, and thought I would share to keep my motivation up! Hope you like the unit so far!

auT2pcS.jpg

U4Zc33t.jpg

So I still need to update the older photos.... stupid Photobucket. I guess it's a good thing really though, on the new host the pics seem much better!

Anyways, here is the 3rd SG unit member (bossman). He is actually the second try at this guy. I wasn't happy with how the original turned out, pleased with the second effort though!

http://i.imgur.com/l6pH5ej.jpg

Hope you like him.

In other news; it looks like I might play my first game with these boys next Saturday! Exiting.

Cheers!
Joe

Edited by neonmole