GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Basically you are on the money.

On larger models with flat surfaces I do a pin wash with the nuln where it makes sense / will work, and following that I apply a sort of filter across the whole thing with the airbrush to bring it all together and ensure the red is a colour match with the smaller models that are getting the all over wash.

Hope that helps!

It sure does! I’ve only done one large model in “our” (the collective luthermax way) and I left splotches of wash on it. Wasn’t a fan. Glad my instincts were right! Thanks neon - as always, your stuff looks great and congrats on the tourney! I definitely take your tactical analysis into consideration- I have two lists right now that are very different - one derived from you and another from Mort.

This vehicle should also have a new name to distinguish it- maybe the "Penetrator" or the "Progressor", starting with "P" to show it is to the Repulsor what the Predator is to the Rhino and Razorback?

Not too sure about the "Penetrator", I guess it would be a distraction (the imagined double cannon Version would even be the "Double Penetrator"

Edited by ranulf the revenant

Game 2, mission with 5 objectives with random one being worth 2. I played against James Mckenzie with his GSC. I've played him before, and he's an exceptionally good player - has been number 1 UK on ITC before, and ultimately went on to win the event. I think in a different mission I could win, but unfortunately I just can't contest the board against GSC over 5 objectives while screening and protecting myself from his offence. Lost this one, but was a good game against a great player!

All in all, awesome & successful weekend at Warhammer world! I also was fortunate enough to meet one or two guys from he forum - including a moderator from over on the Ultramarines sub, which was super cool!

I said hi to you on the friday I think.

Funny my Genestealer Cult lost that mission against Knights, but my list only came 82nd so from my experience of playing actually optimized Cult lists you probably could have dealt with it easily too.

Was your brother's Space Wolves the one that also got a best army nomination? If so think I voted for that one.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Hi mate! Yes I remember meeting you! Thanks for saying hi!

I think cult in general is actually more a test of how well your opponent understands your tricks and how to defend against them than anything. In most cases I think optimised lists with sufficient screening should beat cult almost 100% of the time if they play without mistakes. Obviously in the real world though, people do make mistakes and it’s very hard to mitigate the many dirty tricks cult can pull, many of which can lose you the game instantly.

The X factors in my game against GSC this time were 1. The mission, 2. Playing the best GSC player, arguably globally! I think I played it well generally, and James agreed, but those two things were insurmountable in the end. Reason 2. Is more relevant really, James would find ways to beat me in any mission I’m sure.

Yes those are my brothers space wolves! They are awesome, he has a very different painting style to me, his is very “eavy metal”, whereas mine is a bit more “modern” (best word I can think of... by it I mean airbrushing, weathering... other techniques you don’t see GW promote). I think technically he’s probably a better painter than me, though my preference is obviously for my own style.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Short hobby post! I’m playing in the london wargaming guild team event over the weekend, and the list I wanted to take included a sanguinary priest.. a model I do not have!

So I made one :) Blitzed through him this week! Really proud of the results!

ZoAZIH3.jpg

Hope you like him!

Cheers

Hey mate!

Yeah I have been thinking about moving onto something new for a while. Doesn’t really have much to do with performance, the list continues to fare very well, it’s more just about mixing it up! The problem is just that it’s taming me a long time to paint and assemble the stuff I want to use in something new!

All of that said, when I haven’t played for a while, I get really excited getting my Repulsors and Dreadnoghts our of the box!

I was wondering, what would you add for 2k? A third redemptor + primaris captain or more troops were the thing that came to my mind, but how do you think about this?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Haven’t posted in a little bit, in the process of moving house, so that put the brakes on the hobby stuff!

I am making some minor adjustments to my army for the upcoming LGT, as well as No Retreat VIII events. One such addition is refitting my Repulsors as executioners.

Here’s a test for the plasma that I finished yesterday!

bh2dpws.jpg

YfiZg7X.jpg

Hope you like it! Aim to finish these big boys up next 4-5 days. After that it’s 2 Invictors to round out my new list!

Cheers!

This glow effect on the plasma coils makes me wanna cry! It's P E R F E C T!
Could you be persuaded to make similar thing on some of the ports on the muzzle as well? ;) 

Minor adjustments they may be, but am right in that you have painted whole new turrets? I don't own any Repulsor variant, but this looks kinda big for a weapon swap.

Also can't help but notice more Infiltrators in the background. Would they be appearing in your list as well? 

Hi Majkel! Cheers!

Yeah it’s a whole new turret, I couldn’t be bothered to paint while new hulls since I have no intention of running more than 3 total Repulsors anytime soon, and you can get it to WYSIWYG weapons wise with a few tweaks to the standard build of the executioner turret.

I agree it would look cool on the barrel too, but it would be quite hard to execute there given the size and shape of the vent things.

The infiltrators are definitely something that I want to give a go!! I’ve been painting them veeery slowly for the past 3 months or so, they don’t currently fit in any of my lists so I’ve been just chipping away when nothing else is on the table. For sure want to try them out though! I love the models.

That glow looks fantastic, and looks much more realistic - like the plasma is glowing inside the weapon and the coils are struggling to keep it contained (rather than the normal coils glowing themselves).

What colors did you use? It actually looks like you have an LED in there, not a painted effect.

Hey guys,

Haven’t posted in a little bit, in the process of moving house, so that put the brakes on the hobby stuff!

I am making some minor adjustments to my army for the upcoming LGT, as well as No Retreat VIII events. One such addition is refitting my Repulsors as executioners.

Here’s a test for the plasma that I finished yesterday!

bh2dpws.jpg

YfiZg7X.jpg

Hope you like it! Aim to finish these big boys up next 4-5 days. After that it’s 2 Invictors to round out my new list!

Cheers!

Now that's the most impressive plasma coil glow I've ever seen. Way better than this lazy airbush spot highlighting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

First off, thanks for the comments! I see a few people asking how the effect was achieved, its quite difficult to explain without making a full tutorial, (which I can't really do without painting a whole new gun to take step by step photos!). What I can do though is point you to this awesome video though, which was my starting point, and basically illustrates the key principles of achieving this effect. From there its just a question of choosing your tones, which isn't anything special, you could do purple like this video, green like me, blue... or whatever! I did a test one orange/red that was actually my favourite, it just clashed too much with the armour.

Anyways, that time again. I'm off to the 'No Retreat VIII' tournament this weekend, and I just finished my Warlord that I thought I would share with you guys!

I've wanted to do this model for a long time. He's heavily inspired by the BA imagery that was around when I first got into the hobby (some 20 odd years ago now). Specifically this piece of art:

2cDYdEn.jpg

and this model, who incidentally, is the original Tycho model, before Tycho was Tycho and had a name!:

aqSElJr.jpg

And here is my modern rendition!:

Q8BeVXZ.jpg

For those interested. The head (as well as the base eagle) are sourced from the Bobby G kit. Funnily enough I don't actually like Bobby G's 'unhelmeted' head, as I think its a bit rigid and doesn't really look like a face, ironically enough though, that statuesque quality is exactly what I thought would make it work for this! A detail I didn't even think about before I had the part in my hand is the 'collar' thing around his neck, which looks just like the lip of the mask once its painting. Worked better than I thought if I'm honest!

Anyways, hope you like, and as always, thanks for looking!

Cheers.

Edited by neonmole