GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

your blood angels are probably the best I’ve ever seen, how you get those meatalics so spot on boggles my mind. I’ve been lurking on here for the last 4 years but have never posted until now (a great forum btw, every one seems decent.) I felt compelled to pipe up as I am some way through my first imperial knight (bought a week after my daughter was born, she’s 4 now) and am doing green too. And just like your reds, that’s a lovely green :) But your metals are so good, how the heckins do you do it? (That can be as rhetorical as you like;)

I felt compelled to say something and if nothing else keep up the stellar work sir, it’s an inspiration. Thank you

Edit: I forgot to say, yes they are a hell of a lot of work those imperial knights!

Edited by Digital vole

I was wondering about the metallics as well. The guide you referenced neon, said that it was washed with nuln oil but it looks like your silvers are washed with a watered down brown or maybe a sepia? Also, what is that brassy gold on the rim part of the marine backpacks and what did you wash that with. I've been painting my new blood Angel's like yours but they weren't looking broken up enough and those goldish parts really made the backs pop. I didnt notice them before until you posted that guys batrep blog and he has some great action shots with great pics of the backs of the squads. Any help would be appreciated. Edited by thundrchickn

Visited Warhammer World today (so exciting!) and I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of your awesome army Neon. If it was yours...well folks, it truly does look better in person.

Yeah he was on the livestream as well. Unfortunately he got pretty much shredded by that Imperial Fists Dakka Centurion list. :sweat:

Visited Warhammer World today (so exciting!) and I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of your awesome army Neon. If it was yours...well folks, it truly does look better in person.

Yeah he was on the livestream as well. Unfortunately he got pretty much shredded by that Imperial Fists Dakka Centurion list. :sweat:

Bummer :(

Hi Guys,

Back from the finals! Great experience, but a tough weekend on this occasion for the sons of Baal!

I was wondering about the metallics as well. The guide you referenced neon, said that it was washed with nuln oil but it looks like your silvers are washed with a watered down brown or maybe a sepia? Also, what is that brassy gold on the rim part of the marine backpacks and what did you wash that with. I've been painting my new blood Angel's like yours but they weren't looking broken up enough and those goldish parts really made the backs pop. I didnt notice them before until you posted that guys batrep blog and he has some great action shots with great pics of the backs of the squads. Any help would be appreciated.

So the metallics are basecoated using Vallejo metal colour. Usually I start with one of the aluminium tones. From there is a gloss varnish, followed by a wash of nuln gloss. The main bit though (as some have highlighted) is the grime step, for which I use AK interactive streaking grime. Hard to describe the way I use it, as its really a long process of just playing with it to get the right shapes/effect etc - but that's the process!

Hey! Yeah you probably did, you should have said Hi! :)

Yeah he was on the livestream as well. Unfortunately he got pretty much shredded by that Imperial Fists Dakka Centurion list. :sweat:

Unfortunately yeah, this was a real bummer! (and kinda threw the wheels off the rest of my tournament!). At that point I was 2-0, just tabled 120 plague bearers and was really excited to play on the livestream... Was a real shame to lose in such inglorious fashion! That combo is absolutely absurd though. I mean, he shot a single centurion unit at me, and killed 2(!!!) full W Repulsors spotting the fire! I'm all for bolters having some kick but that seems like a bit much...

It didn't get much easier after that either, in my next game I played GSC, and he had this broken "infinite mortal wounds" psychic power. If you are not familiar basically you cast it on a model, then you each roll and add that to your LD. Unless you beat the GSC player you just keep rolling and every time you lose, its a MW. The broken part is you can buff the casters LD to 14 (or something like that), which makes it actually impossible to win the roll, hence its infinite mortal wounds... Super dumb. I mean, it technically auto kills a Warlord Titan!! Seems like a FAQ is in the near future for that power. Needless to say this was a joke to play against, amongst all the other very powerful GSC things.

In the end I went 2-4, which was a real shame, but nevertheless a really awesome experience as always! Got nominated for best army too, which is always really cool! Would just love to actually win it one time...! 

While I probably will play this list at a few more events, I think the time is nearing to refresh my "standard" event load out. Time for the Repulsors to take a bow I think!... at least for now. I'm thinking a new list with a ton of the new "Vanguard" units is the next big thing... Watch this space. Just got my ShadowSpear box yesterday :)

Cheers, and thanks for reading!

Was chatting with Idaho of the UM forum about that the other day. It is broken but it's one of those that needs everything to go right and even then, will only work once as you'll start to focus on the buffers, combinations, etc. Plus there are ways to get our LD up too, but I appreciate that it does take away from other things in the last.

At least you had a good time and that's the main thing :tu: Congrats all the same :)

Was chatting with Idaho of the UM forum about that the other day. It is broken but it's one of those that needs everything to go right and even then, will only work once as you'll start to focus on the buffers, combinations, etc. Plus there are ways to get our LD up too, but I appreciate that it does take away from other things in the last.

At least you had a good time and that's the main thing :thumbsup: Congrats all the same :smile.:

While not an expert, I don't think this is really the case. The things that buff LD are all character auras, which are almost impossible to remove. Obviously characters are difficult to kill at range as it is, but even if you have snipers all GSC models can take wounds for characters. So very very hard to dismantle the LD combo, and AFAIK none of it requires a dice-roll. The power itself is cast on a 6+, so pretty reliable, but thats the only part it can really go wrong (or a deny obviously). 

I think you can pretty conclusively say its not working as intended. And moreover, its a terribly "feel-bad" play experience. In my scenario, a Repulsor is LD9. This means when we roll, I have to roll a 6, he has to roll a 1. Statistically speaking this gets him about 70 MW without any re-rolls involved. If you include re-rolls that number will be in the 100s. 

Its just not cool, and its not like a 300pts Repulsor is the worst example. It will do literally the same thing to a 700pts Valiant/Castellan. For a 6+ power with 18" range on a model that moves easily 12"?... Ok.

Hi Guys,

Back from the finals! Great experience, but a tough weekend on this occasion for the sons of Baal!

I was wondering about the metallics as well. The guide you referenced neon, said that it was washed with nuln oil but it looks like your silvers are washed with a watered down brown or maybe a sepia? Also, what is that brassy gold on the rim part of the marine backpacks and what did you wash that with. I've been painting my new blood Angel's like yours but they weren't looking broken up enough and those goldish parts really made the backs pop. I didnt notice them before until you posted that guys batrep blog and he has some great action shots with great pics of the backs of the squads. Any help would be appreciated.

So the metallics are basecoated using Vallejo metal colour. Usually I start with one of the aluminium tones. From there is a gloss varnish, followed by a wash of nuln gloss. The main bit though (as some have highlighted) is the grime step, for which I use AK interactive streaking grime. Hard to describe the way I use it, as its really a long process of just playing with it to get the right shapes/effect etc - but that's the process!

Hey! Yeah you probably did, you should have said Hi! :smile.:

Unfortunately yeah, this was a real bummer! (and kinda threw the wheels off the rest of my tournament!). At that point I was 2-0, just tabled 120 plague bearers and was really excited to play on the livestream... Was a real shame to lose in such inglorious fashion! That combo is absolutely absurd though. I mean, he shot a single centurion unit at me, and killed 2(!!!) full W Repulsors spotting the fire! I'm all for bolters having some kick but that seems like a bit much...

It didn't get much easier after that either, in my next game I played GSC, and he had this broken "infinite mortal wounds" psychic power. If you are not familiar basically you cast it on a model, then you each roll and add that to your LD. Unless you beat the GSC player you just keep rolling and every time you lose, its a MW. The broken part is you can buff the casters LD to 14 (or something like that), which makes it actually impossible to win the roll, hence its infinite mortal wounds... Super dumb. I mean, it technically auto kills a Warlord Titan!! Seems like a FAQ is in the near future for that power. Needless to say this was a joke to play against, amongst all the other very powerful GSC things.

In the end I went 2-4, which was a real shame, but nevertheless a really awesome experience as always! Got nominated for best army too, which is always really cool! Would just love to actually win it one time...! 

While I probably will play this list at a few more events, I think the time is nearing to refresh my "standard" event load out. Time for the Repulsors to take a bow I think!... at least for now. I'm thinking a new list with a ton of the new "Vanguard" units is the next big thing... Watch this space. Just got my ShadowSpear box yesterday :smile.:

Cheers, and thanks for reading!

Skeptical Hippo Is Skeptical. 

Do you use the same metal combos for all the metals on the infantry?  ie bolter parts, all the packpack metals, etc as well as on vehicles?  That ring on the center of the backpack seems different.  It might be because its so small that the streaking grime is harder to control on such a small surface.   I'm to the point of just needing to do the silvers on some infantry and then wash them and done for the first batch of infantry.

Hey! Yeah you probably did, you should have said Hi! :)

I wanted to, but it was between matches when everyone was away on break (I took the opportunity then to see all the nicely painted armies without bothering anybody during their matches). Was going to hang out there for a bit longer, but had to run to catch my train back to London.

Can't wait to see what you have planned with Shadowspear. I remember you wanted to do some Reivers, and these guys are pretty similar so it should work out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I've been seriously AWOL!

Honestly, it's basically because I haven't been very productive from a hobby perspective. I had a really frustrating moment a couple of weeks ago when I realised I actually have not FINISHED (not started) a single model since November last year! Wow... That was quite a surprise, and a bit disheartening tbh. I think I was biting off more than I could chew a little bit, and needed to just get back to painting a couple of models (of whatever I feel like) at a time. So that's what I did!

Here are the fruits of my last couple of weeks:

Infiltrator: 

1CrI5vC.jpg

Plan is to finish the rest of these guys next, I'm a huge fan of the shadowspear Phobos models! Have ambitions to build a full army around them...

Librarian:

U8y9xK3.jpg

Just a big fan of this model, and the fluff bunny in me feels that my captains "command squad" could use an advisor! 

Speaking of the command squad!

1fnlMwn.jpg

So yeah, in the spirit of my "do what I feel like" painting mentality, I'm not 100% sure what will be next... But hopefully I'll do the rest of the infiltrators... then maybe some reivers?! I do have the Phobos Librarian & LT on my desk ready to go though. Usually I reserve characters as rewards for finishing squads, but I might just go for that! Lets see...

Cheers guys!

Now this is a hobby update we all deserve! :D

Great to see your models, as always fantastic quality!

Don't be so hard on yourself- you have achieved a lot last year! We all need a break sometime.

Love it! I’ve been debating how to paint my Libby dreads head - doing a neat conversion that I won’t spoil yet - but I love the blue helm on red armor. I’m going to steal that. As always, looks great!

Also - can you tell me the recipe for that blue? Thanks!

Edited by keeblerartillery

Infiltrator: 

1CrI5vC.jpg

Interesting decision to have the mouthpiece in a different colour instead of the tanks. No critique or anything, just something I noticed because I would have done it the other way around myself. ^^