GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Thanks for the kind words guys, I sincerely appreciate it!

@Marine7312000

So the gold recipe is based on a new paint I aquired recently “Vallejo Liquid Gold”. It’s pretty unique because it’s acolohol based, so an absolutely nightmare to work with as it needs to be thinned with alcohol, and dries out incredibly fast. That said, the results are staggering, it’s by far the smoothest, best coverage gold (or any metallic) that I have ever seen.

Recipe is-

1. Airbrush Vallejo Liquid Gold

2. Airbrush gloss varnish

3. Wash with reikland flesh

4. Was with druchii violet

5. Highlight liberator gold

If you have an airbrush, and are prepared to persevere with the liquid gold it’s not very hard to do, and I think the results are pretty epic!

Cheers

Great, I would recommend giving it a go though!

However, I would say that I would be cautious using it in the airbrush if it your only one / a good expensive one. I say this as the composition of the paint seems to make it very difficult to clean, meaning I think you could quite quickly ruin a good airbrush with it. Personally I have an old one that I am using for the gold.

If in doubt maybe just brush it on the old fashioned way? It probably would work fine, one of the amazing things about the liquid gold is how smooth it goes in even with a brush! I was amazed when I used it to paint the chest eagle.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

So, bit of a hiatus from blogging, but let me assure you I have not been idle! If the first Primaris marine I posted was a teaser, I guess this probably qualifies as the trailer, as I an now knee deep in WiPs for this new army! 

So... much like my last series I am building this army for the No Retreat 7 tournament, which I was fortunate to be re-invited to. The difference here is that the main prize that I am chasing is best army, rather than any kind of gaming award. With that in mind the whole army revolves around "rule of cool" (though optimised as far as it can be within the concept). No Retreat is the perfect event to try this in my opinion. Its very from WAAC, and every army there is gorgeous so its a real opportunity for me to go all out from a hobby perspective! I feel that I have very little chance of winning, as some of the armies are truly, truly spectacular, but I'm going to give it my all - For the Emperor, and for the Great Angel!

The List:

- Primaris Captain

- Primaris LT

- Primaris Ancient (Standard of Sacrifice)

- 5x5 Primaris Intercessors (Grenade Launcher / Power Sword)

- 3x Repulsors (Lascannon Loadouts)

I have always imagined the Astartes, and Blood Angels in particular to be the epitome of lightning fast, blitzkrieg warfare. Storming into battle in armoured vehicles, and tearing into the breach with a hail of bolt fire. With Primaris, I feel like I have the opportunity to get as close as possible to this vision, which is what I am going for! 

Aesthtically, I want this to take the "GrimDark" to the next level. Better red, darker, grittier, higher contrast.

So far, the entire army is built, and in various stages of base painting.

The Whole Thing:

AmC8aWh.jpg

Pre-Shaded Repulsors... Soon to turn Red!

tJhr9MX.jpg

Converted (slightly) Primaris Captain base coated

qyGPMCH.jpg

Base coated Primaris LTUnYymcU.jpg

First Intercessor Squad based red

pnAAtp7.jpg

Finished GrimDark Bases for the Army (I'm pretty proud of these!)

fzykcDM.jpg

qO9TkI0.jpg

TQ3XJSZ.jpg

Character Bases

AsBnP31.jpg

Repulsor Base

aaMyWZH.jpg

Based LT on his base for effect!

2UpCSRE.jpg

Qxd4pBS.jpg

So nothing approaching finished yet, apart from the bases, but this is about 2 months solid work so I really wanted to share some of my progress!

I hope you guys like it so far! I'll try and post my more regularly up until the event, Its end of Sept so I definitely have some time - but I'm sure it will start to feel like not enough (it already kinda does...)... But I'm sure with your support I will make it!

Cheers.

Edited by neonmole

Thanks! Yes they are made from cork and various bits of plastic - majority of which are from the Assault Marine box. Which comes with scenic bases for some reason? (probably to compensate for the fact that the models are comically short even by old marine standards). I just bought a whole bunch on eBay. Also used some other bits from the Necromunda terrain sprue (also ebay) and spare repulser bits - weapons and such! Oh and there are some random lasguns, and guard helmets/gubbins too :)

God how did I miss this thread when I was looking for a Mephy. That is fantastic, and I don't even need Green Stuff Skills. About the only thing i might try to find a way to do is his big pimp dracula hood. Fantastic work, and paint style in general. I have always loved a darker scheme for the Blood Angels. Keep up the fantastic work, and I'll keep my paint envy in check :biggrin.:

Hi Guy,

Some progress!

So I was good as my word and have successfully finished the red for more or less the whole army! I still have a couple small bits to take care of (repulsor gunners, Intercessor backpacks) but I’m not going to let these small details detract from my current safisfaction!

Here are some pics -

Repulsor

QIXiFk5.jpg

Whole army

Y39zsf9.jpg

VCWUpqQ.jpg

Pretty happy with this! Very pleased with the matching red across the army. With the technique i use (preshade etc) I actually find it quite hard to do this across multiple units / paint sessions, hence the desire to do all the red as a single project before starting any of the specific units.

This feels like a good milestone and I’m happy with the progress so far! 13 weeks now to finish off the units... I’ll be doing these individually as I find that if I batch any larger than a single unit there is an unavoidable loss of quality due to lack of focus on detail.13 weeks sounds like a lot, but it’s going to be tight I think! Wouldn’t be shocked if the Repulsors alone are 2 weeks each.

Anyways, I hope you like! I hope to be able to share the first completed unit of intercessors in about a week.

Cheers!

Edited by neonmole

Hey guys,

Very quick post from the paint desk, but I wanted to share with you my first real WIP. I’m really thrilled with how this guy is turning out, it feels like a real upgrade on my older stuff; and giving me a ton of motivation to press on!

Hope you like.

0b6kEO9.jpg

Cheers

Edited by neonmole

Hey Jonke, the red is done using the same “recipe” as Luther’s BA, which he has written a tutorial for over on his blog “the mighty brush” if you follow this you will get something close, though invariably my technique will be a bit different to his, hence the different looks.

In other news! First model is done! I hope you like him :) I’m really pleased, it’s very rare that I am 100% happy with my own work; but in this case I am! Onward... 1 down 24 to go...

XD0gBBu.jpg

Cheers

Im famillier with luthers work. Gorgeus as well. 

Im afraid if i try the recepe's the two of you use im gonna have to repaint my entire army :P

Keep up the good work!