GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Hey guys,

Quick pick of a model I finished this afternoon, first of the squad I am currently working on.

He’s a “veteran” Intercessor. Of course, there are no rules for such a thing, so in game terms it’s just a bog standard intercessor squad, but I wanted to mix up the visuals between my units. I imagine this squad to be the captains sworn brothers! Hence why they all will wear the blood drop shield thing, his colours of sorts.

Hope you like!

6DJeMrc.jpg

Cheers!

Stunning models and love your gold.

On your ancient you said you use gloss version of the shades where possible, and gloss varnish the model first. Once complete do you seal the model with anything like a matte varnish as the gold doesn't to that glossy in the pictures?

I would guess that you add the decals then use a matte varnish on the whole model as the decals look nice and matte in appearance with out that annoying sheen on the edges?

Hi Mostwanted!

Yeah, so on all my models pretty much I use the gloss varnish / gloss wash technique to heighten the contrast. If you are not aware, this basically has the effect of ensuring the wash doesn’t settle on the flat surfaces, but flows almost exclusively to the details and recesses. The gloss is also a great moment to apply the decals, as it’s a smooth surface, and the subsequent wash will blend them in. After the gloss wash I use lahmian medium through the airbrush to get back to a more matte finish, and eliminate any shine the remains on the decals.

Hope that helps! As always, I would refer people to the fabulous tutorial that Luther has for blood angels on his mighty brush blog, as that is where I got my start with these guys!

Cheers

Hi Mostwanted!

Yeah, so on all my models pretty much I use the gloss varnish / gloss wash technique to heighten the contrast. If you are not aware, this basically has the effect of ensuring the wash doesn’t settle on the flat surfaces, but flows almost exclusively to the details and recesses. The gloss is also a great moment to apply the decals, as it’s a smooth surface, and the subsequent wash will blend them in. After the gloss wash I use lahmian medium through the airbrush to get back to a more matte finish, and eliminate any shine the remains on the decals.

Hope that helps! As always, I would refer people to the fabulous tutorial that Luther has for blood angels on his mighty brush blog, as that is where I got my start with these guys!

Cheers

This is definitely something I need to try. It sounds a lot quicker than painting over all the areas were the wash isn’t supposed to be.

Hi Mostwanted!

Cheers

Thanks for replying to my question. Yes that definitely does help and makes sense. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks again neonmole.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Was on holiday last week so progress stalled a little bit! Got back yesterday eager to crack on with the project!

Managed to finish my “veteran” Intercessor squad today, so I thought I would share!

Again, this is just a visual/theme thing, in game terms they are just intercessors, I think they turned out pretty cool though!

Squad:

OzTGvQE.jpg

Close Up of the Sgt:

zsViJRI.jpg

(Not 100% happy with the sword, didn’t get the gradient on the blade quite right; not enough contrast. Calling it done tho, don’t want to obsess over it and mess up. I’m very prone to that..)

Group shot; the force so far! Actually starting to look respectable!:

umSpcwL.jpg

Continue to really enjoy the Primaris models and very happy with how this project is progressing! Hopeful that I can win some kind of painting award! Would be super pleased if I can :)

Next up is the LT... want to get him done tomorrow.

Cheers!

Edited by neonmole

Rapid fire at the moment!

I said I would finished the LT today; and shockingly I actually have! And with time to spare.

Hope you like him! Not a great photo, hard pose to get the whole model in focus, for for a quick pic you get the idea.

Really happy with how the loincloth turned out, need to find a way to work that colour into more of these guys. The teal green colour really pops with the red!

yXhtqYd.jpg

Cheers!

Love the colour of the tabard! What paints did you use for that?

Tabard... Yes! That’s the word I was searching for... calling it a loincloth!

Pretty simple, it’s a base of incubi darkness, with sotek green gradually added into the mix, up to pure sotek. I then did a glaze of coelia green shade, before reapplying pure sotek, and adding in some white to the mix for the brightest parts.

Congrats to you too for your WHC community piece! Was super excited for you to see that, so well deserved. Been really admiring your recent additions too, absolutely loved your inceptors, and the chaplain is top notch! Always an inspiration!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys...

So No Retreat 7 is this weekend! And I still have stuff to do... I am about 95% done with the army. All that remains is for me to highlight and weather the 3 Repulsors a little more, and I’ll be calling it done! I really underestimated how long they would take to paint! They have been super fun, but very large, and more importantly complex models. 3 at once has been.. challenging!

Look for a full gallery of the completed army on Wednesday evening!

Today however, I wanted to share with my Warlord, the final full model that i finished for the army today. I have to say, I’m really happy with him.

I give you Honored Brother Captain, Barachiel, first of the Novus Sanguine, and Liberator of Baal!

5V94KOD.jpg

*just noticed in the photo I missed his wrist computer thing.. dammit!

Cheers