GrimDark Blood Angels Blog 24/09/19 *new warlord conversion*

neonmole

Dante and Mephiston look amazing. My only nitpick is that Mephiston is lacking a psychic hood. And does Dante really need a scope on his inferno pistol?

BTW for all interested, Mephiston's head seems to be from the Lothern Skycutter. Let the copying begin. :wink:

Edited by Quixus

@Quixus

I considered making some kind of psychic hood, but I decided I was happy with the result and didn’t want to complicate matters further. Taking that kind of step and attempting to add one would be pretty irreversible and I didn’t want to risk ruining something I was already very happy with.

As far as the inferno pistol goes, I just thought he scope added a bit of detail and make it look a bit different. I’m quite sure it’s not necisary, but I like to imagine he won’t be rolling 1s to hit now.

Overall a great Mephiston kitbash but I do think the scope on a pistol is a bit on the silly side. :tongue.:

Han Solo had a scope on his pistol. Was that silly?  WAS THAT SILLY?!?!??!

I get the feeling I shouldn't say anything bad or even anything not-good about Star Wars right now. :D

Overall a great Mephiston kitbash but I do think the scope on a pistol is a bit on the silly side. :tongue.:

Han Solo had a scope on his pistol. Was that silly? WAS THAT SILLY?!?!??!

YES. This guy! Preach.

It’s a tacti-cool scope?...

I love that the scoped pistol is the thing that has generated the single most discussion in my blog. Ah internet... never change!

Han Solo had a scope on his pistol. Was that silly?  WAS THAT SILLY?!?!??!

I get the feeling I shouldn't say anything bad or even anything not-good about Star Wars right now. :biggrin.:

Trust your feelings, Luke.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I unfortunately messed up the paint job on the Dante model I posted... I have a habit of doing this - getting super excited to paint something, causing me to rush and make small mistakes. Small mistakes which unfortunately my anal personality won’t let me ignore. Sigh.

I resolved to view this as a positive and take the opportunity to fix the parts of the first mode I wasn’t happy with, and make an even better MkII Dante! Luckily I had most of the parts I needed and was able to beg / borrow / steal / eBay the rest.

Here he is :

9WMOUog.jpg

9tUx3vL.jpg

VoC13DC.jpg

Main difference from the first one is the head/halo. I was more ambitious this time and gave him a literal iron halo rather than putting it on his jump pack. Not only is this cooler but it also matches the original model.

The other big change is the pose, I wasn’t super happy with the last one. This time rather than an “action pose” (which is what I usually go for) I decided to go for a more regal commanding look, as befits Dante’s character.

Anyway, I hope you like him. For my sanities sake I think I will take my time painting him this time :p

Joe

Hello everyone,

I'm really please with myself this time, as over the weekend (and early this week) I have tackled something which I have been avoiding, which is to complete the transports for my Tac squads. 

I don't really like painting vehicles, though admittedly its a lot more bearable with an airbrush. This was a two fold process, first I had to build them of course - which was a bit of work since I needed to get a hold of the assault cannon turrets, and then of course, to paint them, and try to match the colours of the first rhino I painting (which is one of these, converted to an assback with a turret switch. I have the hatches needed of course to use these as Rhino's, but I can see that being the case in the near future what with assbacks being what they are, and not foreseeing using anything other that 5 man squads.

Anyway, I'm happy with the result, and makes me a lot more confident in tacking my Land Raider(!) in the near future.

3hYxcyi.jpg

bxpkZuf.jpg

1UEAHX4.jpg

AnIAd6u.jpg

And lastly, a bonus shot featuring their cargo! (not the best shot as its hard to get the focus right on big groups I find - at least with an iPhone camera...)

P0xBYhP.jpg

For those that know what it is I have applied to enter the "No Retreat" tournament with this army. For those that don't its a pretty small event in Europe, though I understand is quite prestigious and quality of painting is one of the bars you have to meet just to be invited to attend. Heres hoping my painting is up to snuff and I have the chance to represent the mighty sons of Sanguinius in Gibraltar!

Cheers for any comments guys, as always I hope you like them!

Joe

Thanks Brother Lemartes!

As always the credit for the red recipe goes to the arch don of BA painting - Luther. I like to think whatever it is about the way I do it gives my stuff it’s own flavour though :)

Getting it to work on vehicles was a bit of a difficult process. Mostly because washes obviously are less simple with big flat surfaces.

If anyone is interested I can write a short guide on the process.

Hi Everyone,

Today - I bring you the Lord of Death himself!

I dedicated my Saturday to painting my Mephiston conversation, and I would say he is now 95% done. Probably a couple of tweaks / highlights to be added here and there (as I think about this I actually haven't done the corner highlights yet on the red - using bright orange) but this is more or less what he's going to look like. Maybe Ill do some more pics when hes completely done, these are off the side of my paint station anyway so not the best quality.

I would love any suggestions for improvement here, as I said, theres a little work left to do and I want this model to be the best it can be!

Here he is.

PrX46DW.jpg

GpAFxnj.jpg

ureIWMN.jpg

I was really happy with the face, more so as I was pretty sure half way through that it wasn't going to look very good. I went for a very high contrast gaunt look as you can see. Trying to accentuate the qualities of the face component I chose, but more so Mephistons otherworldly qualities.

Cheers for your thoughts & for taking the time to check out my stuff!

Joe

Ps. For those interested, as an update to my last post :- I was successful at getting into the No Retreat VI invite list! As such I will be proudly representing the BA on the field. Perhaps I will make another thread and we can put our heads together to create a list and ensure the Sons of Sanguinius put in a good showing!

*Small update :-

Im sure to there most people this new pic looks identical, but of course staring at it very closely for hours it looks very different to me! - Now 100% complete, with final highlights on all details, most notably I think the red pops a bit more now with the cornering done.

OzpeUJK.jpg

Edited by neonmole

That is a great execution. Where is the head from? Do you find his increased size better suits his character than the standard marine size? I don't recall reading anything about his stature increasing, but it seems like a possibility on top of being a good way to differentiate what he truly his.

Thanks Zeller.

So I was actually worried about he size being a bit off, what with it being based on a Primaris marine etc. One plan was to so a leg swap and shave down the cape a bit.

Upon construction I felt like it wasn’t really necissary. Standing next to other painted models in the army I don’t even notice, fits right in. At a glade you don’t really notice the increased scale, and if you did can easily be justified by him being a character, just so he stands out - even in lore terms, he is S/T5 after all :)

Short version - I don’t notice him being bigger / perfect scale for a non- Primaris character.

Head is from some High Elf mini - got it on eBay. I think on a previous page someone ID’d it?

Cheers

Joe

Thanks guys,

Cheers for the suggestions Charlo, I thought about those two things and I may yet go back and do them.

The main reason I left the angel red was I wasn’t sure if there would be enough red on the model due to the robes and him not having a helmet, in retrospect there probably is even if I did the angel another colour.

As far as the sword goes.. this is mainly due to me being a afraid of messing it up to be honest. Metallics are tricky in that you only get one shot really.. maybe if I get brave I will try it!!

I have a question for you all - can I ask your opinion on the skull shoulder? I sought out a piece to mimic the original mode, and the only one I could find was this. It’s from the ancient Khorne berserkers kit so it’s not as clean a sculpt as the rest of the model. Do you guys notice that or is it just me being too close to it?

Thanks

Joe