Ad Mech in 8th Edition

The easy route would be giving vehicles and mechanical units the Machine keyword. This way Leman Russes, tau suits, and kastellans can be immune to poison, but be weak against haywire.

Though the machine keyword would make fluff sense, I'd bet they won't do it. Part of 6th problem is, where do you draw the line between MC and vehicle? The new system is supposed to get rid of that muddy line, reinstating it in a different form would make the rules needlessly complex.

I'm not super sure what they will do in 8th, but in AoS thier is a "monster" keyword and several units can reroll to hit, get +1 to hit, deal d3/d6, or have abilities that only work if your target is a monster.

So a machine keyword sounds like it could be a thing, and could allow for poison and haywire style weapons to work. We'll probably learn a lot when we see dark eldar. 

Hey guys,

I am sick at the moment (guess a computer virus as a Tech Priest?), so I had some time to run through all of our units and what I expect to see in 8th edition.

So my thoughts:

Tech Priest Dominus will still be some tough dude. Volkite and Eradication Array will both be solid choices.

However, since his former roll as a Tank is no more, I guess we will see him buff all of your tinmen arround.

E-Priests will stay glass canons, I cant see these topless ravers getting realy durable. But they will get better, maybe through additional special rules or a price drop.

At the same time I hope they stay kind of expensive ! I dislike the thought of spaming them to have success, because it would be realy expensive (money) and since every 5th looks the same having 30+ on the table will look kind of meh...

The raving sticks will most likely deal mortal wounds, while the gloves will throw out tons of shots.

Destroyers will be realy interesting to see ! With the new blast rules I expect the Plasma version to be on the winner side. And, if I remember correct, I read that Grav is not toned down, but everything else buffed up. So I can see a change in tendency here from Grav more direction Plasma.

Since you realy want to stay ot of CC and cover will be a big thing in 8th, I would lean towards the Phosphor as second weapon, but it depends on the weapons stats and the cognis rule (I guess it will be 2d6 pick the highest?)... we will see.

Same goes for Breachers. We do not know how Haywire works in 8th, and since there are many weapons now that do D3 or D6 wounds they have to come up with something new to make the Torsion Canon outstanding. For everyone like myself who has build most of the servitors with Arc weapons, I expect Arc will still be the way to go ! Vehicles will be a big thing, and Haywire will still help you to deal with them I guess. And the Torsion Canon? I expect it to deal tons of damage with the same flaw it has now: You need to hit if you want to hurt something.

Regarding the CC weapon I guess the Hydraulic Claw will be cool since there is no initiative anymore, but this highly depends on the price. You still want the Breachers out of CC, so why pay for an upgrade then?

Kastellans will hopefully as tough as a Cybot or tougher ! Regarding the options I can see a shift from Phosphor to Fists, depending on how Phosphor works in CC. However, since the new TL means double the fun, Phosphor will be far from counted out. I wish to see both options valuable !

Infiltrators will stay like the way they are now. The only thing I see changing here is the Pistol. 5 shots, reroll to wound and you can potentially wound a Landraider? I think this is not going to happen ! And with a change in the Pistol, there might also be a tendency away from the Tasers more towards the power swords. But this is pure speculation (like most of the stuff here), it highly depends on rule changes for Pistol and Taser. Power Sword still has the problem to wound something. Maybe there is achance to combine Swords and Pistols?

Ruststalkers will pretty muh stay the way they are now I guess. Semi rending swords, killers in CC. I never got much milage out of mine, but I think this was just me and I dont realy know how to boost them without getting ridiculous.

Rangers will get a boost I guess. I hope their weapons will be AP -1 and the Arquebuse will be worth it to snipe out HQs. I dont want them to be better than Vanguard, I want them both to be on one level!

Which brings me directly to the Vanguard. Their basic weapon has to change as well, since the (hopefully) will not be able to "rad" every freaking vehicle to death. But I bet they will still throw out tons of shots and (again hopefully) the will be the backbone of some of our armys TOGETHER with Rangers.

Dragoons will hopefully stay the cheap CC glass canons they are now. Maybe the Sniper will see some use, but I dont realy care. I want them to crush into the enemy lines and hurt things !

Ironstriders will be pretty cool throwing out double the shots now, but it depends on the price how often we see them. Same goes for the laser. It has just been to expensive in the past for such a fragile thing to carry it.

And last: The Onager.

As said before, I can see the tendency changing more towards Phosphor, depending on the price (most likely compared to the Kastellans).

But don't count out the other options. The Neutron Laser will be a reliable killer (AP -4; D3 hits; each D6 damage maybe?), Icarus Array will be the no 1 anti air beat machine and I hope the Beamer to be cheap and fun ! Just finished my third 1 recently (magneticed), but never had the chance to field 3 of them together.

Also with the new rules mixed weapons make sense, so I guess Icarus Onagers will hide within bigger squadrons more often.

So that is my rundown on the units, we will see what will become true.

Infiltrators will stay like the way they are now. The only thing I see changing here is the Pistol. 5 shots, reroll to wound and you can potentially wound a Landraider? I think this is not going to happen ! And with a change in the Pistol, there might also be a tendency away from the Tasers more towards the power swords. But this is pure speculation (like most of the stuff here), it highly depends on rule changes for Pistol and Taser. Power Sword still has the problem to wound something. Maybe there is achance to combine Swords and Pistols?

Well, guess the preferred loadout might vary. 5 pistol shots each, usable during CC, able to wound a land raider. If there's no toughness cap, flechette might become pretty insane. Tasers wound pretty much anything on a 5+, which will overload saves. Also, sword shouldn't be bad too. Now they don't miss out on +1A for a pistol (that's gone), plus they wound most stuff on a 5+, and have AP -3. So they become better ruststalkers than ruststalkers, while being shooty and having some neurostatic aura rule. What's not to like?

Now they don't miss out on +1A for a pistol (that's gone)

That's a good point. Now there will be no real difference between the Phosphor Blast pistol and the Serpenta apart from a bit of range. Do you think one will become a new weapon type, or they will keep the two weapons Phosphor pistols but make the stats more varied?

My bet would be to keep them as separate weapons. There isn't much difference, but all those bolter variants don't differ a lot, too. And they already stated that every single model will be in the new rulebooks, which would include different weapons.

But with the difference between old AP4 and new AP-1, there's more incentive to use phosphor small arms (and rangers), as the chance to actually damage (and thereby Luminagen) a target with 3+/2+ armour increases. Otherwise it came down to "I'll face marines anyway, that's a waste of points". If luminagen still lowers the cover (maybe ignoring the standard +1 to save), this could be useful against a lot of targets. Good thing I magnetized EVERYTHING, because there wasn't much model choice to begin with...

That's a good point. I was thinking in a way about Tau sniper drones. When they first came out they were suppose to be armed with rail rifles? Then I think they changed the rules and now they fire high velocity pulse munitions? I was wondering if the Serpenta might have changed like that. Since Adeptus Mechanicus is a new faction in the game the rules and background are probably more prone to change than a long-standing faction.

However, as you stated there is a rules difference between a Storm Bolter and a Combi-Bolter so guns with minimal differences still appear in the game separately.

So the Forge World 40k Rules Books were teased today with the lines of "units previously unavailable to certain factions will now get access to them."

So... I'm hoping this means Cyraxus is dead (well, other than for new models/ specific campaign based rules/ army lists) and we're jsut going to get a big dump of 30k stuff usable for 40k in the meantime :wub:

I'd hope to get the new stuff for 40k, but the text only mentions 40k models, not porting over more 30k stuff. My guess would be that they hold back on Mechanicum stuff, as there hasn't been any release for it before. Replace the current, then-unusable rules quickly so people resume buying that stuff, then continue to build a major IA book (which would be Cyraxis). No one would buy Cyraxis if it only includes fluff and missions, but all the units were already out. Or they use this release window (or the next) to get out Cyraxis, which was initially planned as shortly after Inferno. Now the new edition drops, the rules wouldn't be obsolete in a few months.

In short, no one knows. At least there isn't a rules reason any more to hold Cyraxis back.

I asked Forgeworld a few weeks ago about the status of Cyraxus, a book I am very keen on seeing.

Unfortunately they told me that they didn't even know at what stage in the production process the book was at the moment, so no release date indication.

I hope someone at Warhammer Fest finally gets an answer about this book, it's getting ridiculous.

I hope so... and I hope the admech still has either canticles or data imperatives across the board.

that said I wonder if dune crawlers will still have the -1 to hit during movement or something... at any rate, I'm still hopefull that this edition will fix a lot of problems the admech have!

I hope so... and I hope the admech still has either canticles or data imperatives across the board.

that said I wonder if dune crawlers will still have the -1 to hit during movement or something... at any rate, I'm still hopefull that this edition will fix a lot of problems the admech have!

I would hope not. The Dunecrawler's current rules seem to suggest slow movement with the ability to traverse rough terrain. Hopefully it will be considered a stable firing platform considering that current drawback.

Nope, according to what I've heard, no new transports.

And, with current event coverage, it seems like IA Cyraxis will take some time to get finished, and Mechanicum units will not be covered until then.

Edited by MajorNese

with current event coverage, it seems like IA Cyraxis will take some time to get finished, and Mechanicum units will not be covered until then.

I really, really, really hope not... transports are shaping up to a a huge part of the close combat game.