What are you excited about for 8th? Ultramarines specific

Captain Idaho

I can't help it. I'm gushing over some of the changes. Twin linked and combi weapons are both Space Marines specific boosts. Sure, Eldar and Tau have twin linked weapons, but when they pointed a gun at a unit it died anyway. Pointing 2 guns at a unit is just overkill ;)

Pretty much all our infantry got a boost. We get saves from Battle Cannon an even lascannon!

The things I'm looking forward to the most is my Sergeants being able to have a power fist again ;) Combi weapons are serious business again as they aren't fire and forget weapons often used for suicide attacks.I expect to see many Combi weapons and power fists going forward.

Terminators are powerful by the looks of things. We are hearing rumours of Storm Bolters having more shots and we already know about 2 wounds and decent saves. Add a power fist into the mix and voila. The new close combat rules means they won't necessarily strike last and that is BIG.

Lastly; I'm particularly happy to see the little changes. Our vehicles benefit from the twin linked rules sure but the premium choices have competition now. Predators with lascannon in the turret and heavy bolter sponsons are a great choice again, granting support to most targets.

Stalkers should get at least 6 shots now. We don't know about Skyfire etc but I doubt Skyfire is complex so it'll likely just be "can shoot at flying units without penalty".

Centurions with heavy bolters just outdated Grav. Good riddance I say as Grav was everywhere and helped break the game. Now a full unit of Centurions can get 18 Heavy bolter shots a turn plus 3 sets of Hurricane bolters. Take that!

So what are you looking forward to with your Sons of the Great Primarch?

I thought about sergeants too. Power fists will see a comeback and I can easily see demi squads in Razorbacks pushing forward.

Split fire for dev squads is also a good thing and I like those heavy support dudes.

Combi weapons are also amazing now but I think they will go up points wise. And they won't change the fact that sternguard veterans will still be hitting one target after disembarking a pod and die afterwards.

But all in all I'm pretty hyped for 8th edition. smile.png

My top three for Ultras: Deathwind Launchers no longer using a pieplate, split-fire, and viable Dreadnoughts.

Predators with lascannon in the turret and heavy bolter sponsons are a great choice again, granting support to most targets.

Which, IMO, is the best-looking of all the options.

You are not attacking according to your Initiative - Initiative is gone. Attacker attacks first smile.png

What I just realised dreadnoughts with two twin linked autocannons should also pretty effective.

I'm really wanting to see Tigurius's new profile, he better still be the Yoda of Space Marine psykers!

Also can tyrannic war veterans be a thing again? I freaking love those models!

I'm looking forward to Dreadnoughts, Land Raiders, Predators, Guilliman, the holy trifecta of Tactica, Assault and Devastator, all the flyers....okay, just the whole army really. Anything with a twin-linked gun that's for sure!

Gosh, depending on the new rules I might have to build out some new tactical squads. And I am really excited to see what chapter tactics are going to be like.

I want the rules to come out already dangit!

You are not attacking according to your Initiative - Initiative is gone. Attacker attacks first smile.png

Yeah, that's not enough to get me to brush up on powerfist painting techniques. There is zero chance that the weapon profile will survive intact if the only drawback is removed.

Heck, we know Howling Banshees will get a form of the old WHFB Always Strikes First...don't be surprised if powerfists Always Strike Last.

<Mod Edit>

In all seriousness I hope Telion gets a plastic model and that anything Scout related finally gets updated, especially for Land Speeder Storms to have Multi-meltas on sprue, because I really want to do a 10th company UM force led by Telion if he's still a HQ in 8th, which could also serve as a nice allied army, too.

I know not why I wrote this, but I felt I must. I will repost this in the fan fiction section, with the first sentence slightly edited.

I'm curious as how they will work in chapter tactics. Will it be based upon keywords? I.e. if all units chosen in a detachment have the ultramarines keyword they will get the following detachment wide bonus.. or it will unlock new options to spend command points on?

As a side note: I will take the rekindled fire for the game that 8th brings to finally try to start an UM force alongside my Iron Hands

More accurate guess is to spend command point to enable chapter tactics which affect all units with specific keyword.

I just recently start playing and double TL Auto Cannon is great, can't wait to see the profile. TL is providing Space marine the so needed fire cadence, it was awful to see Eldar, DE and Skitarii to have units shooting 4 or 8 times at 36 when you only shoot once per weapon.

I don't want to pee in your cornflakes, but...

Strike first weapons are still a thing, confirmed in one of the WH Community articles (though whether they can interrupt charging attacks as well as the normal alternating melee is unclear). Likewise, strike last weapons will probably be a thing. I'm sure it was confirmed by GW on FB regarding thunder hammers, but as I can't source I'll stick with probably.

What I'm saying is, hope that power fists can strike first on the charge, but don't assume that they will until it's been explicitly stated by GW. It might lead to disappointment.

Since challenges have seemingly gone, a sgt with a power fist will still get to strike, surely? He's not going to be challenged and killed before he can swing. Powerfists may still be very good.

I am, however, particularly looking forwards to actually using dreadnought again. Tri las predators may be a good unit and I think that full 10 man tactical squads with heavy weapons may be worth it. I really want to field at least 3 full tac squads in rhinos or pods.

Split Fire and fire while moving from Heavy Weapons on the Tacs, making bigger units an asset once again, Land Raiders being back in force, Guilliman not having 10 or more wounds and thus can be kept save during his advance, Combi-Weapons on Sternguard.

All of this makes so many classic UM lists viable again <3

Terminators and mixed weapons in squads.

It's ages since I've used Terminators, especially of the ranged variety but I really love them, so I'm hoping that they'll be solid additions to a list in 8th. From what we've seen so far it's looking promising. I'm also hoping that I can use heavy flamers in Terminator squads again without feeling like I'm wasting the weapon slot. Given that they're likely 10", Assault D6, Str5  with auto hit, they should perform better than they currently do.

The second thing I'm really looking forward to is not being restricted with weapon options in a squad. With the ability to fire at multiple different targets I can now mix weapons in a squad that don't necesarily share the same range band or target type without worrying too much that I'm making the squad ineffective.

I highly doubt we'll see any weapons as strike first or last for the simple reason as units alternate attacking and you can't come back to a unit.

We haven't seen any such weapons yet, rather unit special rules such as Banshee masks granting the ability to Howling Banshees.

So as Terminators can and do have mixes of weapons, Tacticals can have a power fist in addition to the squad including power sword sergeants in Terminator squads, I am sure we won't see a penalty to power fists. Maybe to hit but I highly doubt that too.

As such Terminators will be monstrous.

As Ultramarines, I am interested to know what we'll get for our Trait. It could be additional Command Points, which I might prefer to the Doctrines actually.

I highly doubt we'll see any weapons as strike first or last for the simple reason as units alternate attacking and you can't come back to a unit.

We haven't seen any such weapons yet, rather unit special rules such as Banshee masks granting the ability to Howling Banshees.

Here's the relevant quotes, both from GW themselves:

Warhammer Community Fight Phase Article

"There are a few units that can interrupt this sequence to attack out of turn too – Tyranid lash whips and Slaaneshi Daemons, for example"

GW 40k Facebook

"Q: Will unit's such as thunder hammers still cause a unit to swing second if they charge?"

"A: We'll cover these in the future. There will indeed be a downside to swinging these very powerful, but ponderous weapons."

"A: Perhaps they might. There will probably be an article on coming on close combat weapons."

While it doesn't explicitely say that Slaanesh/lash whips can attack first, it's fairly obvious that if they're going to interrupt the alternating attacks in melee, it'll be to strike before other units. After all, Slaanesh and lash whip armed Tyranids have been stuff that is very fast (high I) in melee for a long time now. So if it's possible to interrupt the alternating attacks to attack before units, then it's also possible that some stuff will attack after other units.

It's also worth noting that in current 40k you're right, no weapons have had strike first. But we're moving into 8th now with completely new rules and there needs to be a way to represent stuff like lash whips, mark of Slaanesh, Banshee Masks etc now that attack order is no longer initiative based. Likewise, there has to be a way to represent slower attacking weapons such as thunder hammers and power fists.

Again, I'm not saying power fists will strike last. They might, they might not. But making assumptions that they can strike first on the charge is just setting yourself up for disappointment . Based on evidence so far, there is a chance they will, in fact, strike last (or whatever the equivalent is in 8th).

I think we will. Unless having one lash whip armed Tyranid in a unit allows the entire unit (ie, those not armed with lash whips) to interrupt the attack sequence - which would make very little sense. I just can't see any other way it could be done. Either the entire unit strikes first, which is odd when only some members of the unit have the upgrade, or the unit attacks at different times. We'll have to wait a bit longer to see though, they might have some solution that none of us have thought of.

I know it only mentions thunder hammers, but as thunder hammers and power fists share the same unwieldy rule and have done for 20 years (in one iteration or another), it's not exactly a wild theory that they will behave similarly to each other in 8th. Plus no information goes both ways, it neither proves nor disproves that they will strike first or last. Hence why I'm suggesting people temper their expectations.

I do hope they don't always strike last though. As I said earlier I really want ranged Terminators to be good again. Doing away with the strike last penalty in melee would really help (plus I've hated that rule since 3rd for power fists, makes no sense for them). I'm also hoping that melee sergeants in general make a comeback. Combi-weapons are cool, but every sergeant carrying one is a bit boring. Lets see a variety of melee weapons on various squad sergeants.

What I'm also really hoping for is that there are lots of options with Ultramarine squads, whether through basic game rules or faction specific rules. I want there to be more meaningful choices when equipping models, not just only take a few specific upgrades because the rest are over-costed/useless (to the majority of people).

Archived