What are you excited about for 8th? Ultramarines specific

Captain Idaho

I'm really curious about what the actual Ultramarine rules will be in 8th.

I'm not sure we'll have the same re rolls as before although I think the Doctrines would be even more powerful in 8th.

I do expect us to be one of the standouts when it comes to Command points, bravery and stacked buffs.

One thing that has me excited is potentially putting Telion and some Snipers on the table. I like the idea of character Hunters!

You are not attacking according to your Initiative - Initiative is gone. Attacker attacks first smile.png

I don't want to pee in your cornflakes, but...

Strike first weapons are still a thing, confirmed in one of the WH Community articles (though whether they can interrupt charging attacks as well as the normal alternating melee is unclear). Likewise, strike last weapons will probably be a thing. I'm sure it was confirmed by GW on FB regarding thunder hammers, but as I can't source I'll stick with probably.

What I'm saying is, hope that power fists can strike first on the charge, but don't assume that they will until it's been explicitly stated by GW. It might lead to disappointment.

No worries, brother. I just read that Initiative was gone and started to think about power fists. I'm not reading all the updates and news feeds so thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still pretty excited about the new edition. Can't wait! :-D

Primaris marines appear to fit in nicely without being too overwhelming. To be honest it's not their rules that have me wanting them, it's the models! I'm just so tired of painting the older style marines I feel this is a very nice fresh approach to the army.

It is the political situation that interests me. How will the Captains react to this. I mean, they have 3 wounds compared to the 2 wounds of the Primaris and both have T4, so the change can not be too dramatic. Still, I can not shake the feeling that there will be discontent.

Having said that, we do not know the fluff. For all we know, regular Marines can undergo an 'ascension' to a Primaris. That would actually be very cool fluff.

It's slightly off topic but I won't be getting the new Marines for at least a good while.

Politically it could be quite interesting to see how "ordinary" Marines feel about these newbies. And vice versa.

I've had a think about the Primaris and I've decided I like them. I'm not 100% sold on their background yet but I'm more than willing to wait until we have it all before coming to any conclusions. The models though, are fantastic. I'll definitely be getting a squad.

Can we speculate a bit on the usefulness of the Primaris? We have a hunch about how they are costed. They are 6 power rating vs the rubrics power rating of 8. Would translate to a point cost of about 110 points using the old system. If we compare them to another old system costed unit, the sternguard, they could be roughly the same cost. This comparison is a bit flawed though. 

But still, that's two very similiar units, both have veteran status with 2 attacks and both have upgraded bolters. The Primaris have 2 wounds and the sternguard have upgrade options.

I really like their boltguns. In the new world of everything can wound everything, they do it better. Depending on how they are chosen in a detachment, i.e. as troops or elites, I can definately see myself using them. Especially if UM retains their chapter ability to hit better than other chapters.

And here's hoping they do get to keep their re-rolling traits. It's even better now with twin-linked weapons!

I'm super-excited for the new models. Closing in on a full half of the 2nd Company, I'll definitely use the models from the 8ed starter box to reinforce them. :) The images we saw in the video yesterday showed Intercessors with 2nd Company shoulder trims, so it should be fine.

Also nice to see a bit stronger Marines (not seeing it as a bad thing, a Primarch's return was bound to bring forth major changes) and looking forward to use them in a game.

If the Primaris are 16pts per model which is what I suspect, then they are a superior option to regular Marines and I'll be fielding lots of them :-/

I think they'll impact all Marine armies pretty drastically to be honest.

Veteran Sgts appear to be mandatory in units now, so 5 Tacticals are going ro be 70 points, 5 Primaris will be 90.

If they want to keep the 'normal' marines the new ones have to be expensive. I certainly hope so. While they do look amazing the fluff is not my cup of tea. I hold final judgement until we have the full picture however.

If we get anything less than +8 Command Points it will be a crime against nature, I tells you!

I sure hope this will be not be our trademark, more command points. Or if it is, I'd like to have quite a lot of new Ultramarine specific stratagems...

To be honest, the annoucement of the Primaris marines of left me bitter. Calgar, Tigurius, all our armies... Are second rate space marine (don't get me on Custodes or Grey Knights, please). Our heroes... now they feel like guardsmen with the Space Marine (normal) arrived. This is a cold shower shower for me, it has killed much of the excitment.

Sure, the rules for 8th and the adaptation seem pretty solid. Keeping the good from AoS, getting nice things from 2nd edition, removing all that was cumbersome... but I look my army of heroes, and no longer see them as the elite they are meant to be. Just placeholders.

Yes, I'm all doom and gloom and no, I'm not trying to have the same debate as in the 8th edition thread that was locked. I'm just sad.

Unfortunately, this is the reality we must cope with now. Some will come with it better than others. However, this hobby is what you make of it. Take heart and hold on to your guys. In the end, does it matter what GW says? Sure, to some extend, but they can not dictate what you find enjoyment in.

Yes, the SM line is likely to stay the same now and, until further notice, all future releases will be NuMarines. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing. The SM line is a bit bloated as it is and simply rule updates and nothing else will do them good for a while.

There is also the fact that we all make guesses. We do not know what the exact fluff. I have read and most of the info we take for granted is indeed made up. But maybe there is a way to upgrade regular Marines to NuMarines in the fluff. That would be awesome.

In the end, take a deep breath and let the pass. Nothing you can do about it. Take solice in the fact that there are more important things to spend your energy on, not plastic soldiers, ladies and gentlemen, plastic soldiers.

:)

Looking forward to starting one of these new Primaris chapters , Guillimans created. Fluff can always be justified , even if it seems a little ropey to begin with. Lets face it the whole 40k universe was pretty ropey to begin with but it got fleshed out over the years to where we are now.

Shallow as i may be, if any of the new chapters have a great colour schem and a half decent story, then I`ll be on these like a fat kid on cake.

If we get anything less than +8 Command Points it will be a crime against nature, I tells you!

I sure hope this will be not be our trademark, more command points. Or if it is, I'd like to have quite a lot of new Ultramarine specific stratagems...

To be honest, the annoucement of the Primaris marines of left me bitter. Calgar, Tigurius, all our armies... Are second rate space marine (don't get me on Custodes or Grey Knights, please). Our heroes... now they feel like guardsmen with the Space Marine (normal) arrived. This is a cold shower shower for me, it has killed much of the excitment.

Sure, the rules for 8th and the adaptation seem pretty solid. Keeping the good from AoS, getting nice things from 2nd edition, removing all that was cumbersome... but I look my army of heroes, and no longer see them as the elite they are meant to be. Just placeholders.

Yes, I'm all doom and gloom and no, I'm not trying to have the same debate as in the 8th edition thread that was locked. I'm just sad.

That is exactly how I feel.

I think I either will pass on the primaris marines or I will use those deathwatch boxes to build my own. But I can't stand the fact that our heroes of legend have to look up to the new rank and file marines. sad.png

I'll be very interested in the story that goes with these guys. To me so far they look exactly the way I'd write them into the 40k fluff - young. I'm trying to work out if they're vat grown or simply cryogenically frozen. Either way they probably have zero combat experience.

It would make for a very interesting dynamic if these new, huge and powerful marines, look up (not literally obviously) to their older brethren in the same way older marines look up to Dreadnoughts and Veterans - a real mentor/protegee or sensei and student relationship. They'd seek the wisdom of their elders ("Grace us with your wisdom, oh wise ones...") at the same time they sought to prove they could play a vital role on the battlefield ("Look big bro, I can kill xenos too!") . I think that might do a lot to mitigate the 'out with the old' vibe that some of us are worried about. 

I certainly think this is exactly how the Ultramarines (old and new) will approach things. We know their sense of teamwork and camaraderie is basically hardwired into their geneseed (HH: Tempest describes the initial batches spontaneously forming teams and strategizing) so its easy to picture the new guys fitting in very neatly. Which of course is how we'll field them on the tabletop - as a supplement to our existing army. Clever.

Long term I guess they may completely replace 'old' marines, on the tabletop at least. But something similar happened when 3rd edition came out and I put away my old metal marines (and the plastic starter set guys - I haven't seen any of them since 2001). The new plastic ones were bigger and better looking, and tempted us into buying them. It wasn't so bad, we just progressively replaced our squads, or were replaced ourselves with new players.

Archived