What are you excited about for 8th? Ultramarines specific

Captain Idaho

I'm thinking that I'll actually disembark mid board to shoot, whilst transports advance forward to charge and potentially tie up units.

The image I have in my mind is Tactical Marines firing on targets whilst Rhinos are running people down... Which admittedly is a bit strange but it's certainly more aggressive.

Charging with transports will be huge for melee armies or melee elements in our armies. I do not see a restriction on disembarkation and being bound in combat. To maximize your distance you can move with the transport and attempt and charge to get right in there. Next turn you can disembark and charge immediately. Naturally, this has risks like the transport dying in melee.

Transports can also bind dedicated melee units. When a Rhino has done his job and is still alive, throw it at something like Centurions and whatever else shoots well and fights badly, and force them to miss a shooting phase by forcing a retreat.

I hope that this will have melee troops inside Rhinos more viable. It certainly helps getting some customers across the board more quickly and cheaply as opposed to having them taking a Jump Pack and die to shooting that would not kill a Rhino.

Having multiple units also takes care of the character issue. I do hope that Guilliman can enter. To be fair, we have no seen anything that could prohibit it as of yet. Probably not a Rhino, but Land Raiders are becoming real beasts, so I'll take it.

I utilised Rhino chasis for transports throughout 3rd-5th editions. They worked well. It was a simple matter of placing a Dreadnought or another Rhino in front of the assault unit, preventing 1st turn destruction.

I imagine it will work even better now, with no more 1 shot kills on the transport anymore.

The points you can save not taking a Land Raider and taking (as my old lists did) 2 Tactical squads in Rhinos and an assault unit in a Rhino/Razorback gives great board leverage. Consider the Tactical squads now blast fools in support of your Honour Guard and Rhinos soak Overwatch fire. Yum.

This change makes me a happy camper. I want to build some new Honour Guard since my last batch were rushed.

My personal thought after posting the article notes is that as of now I'm thinking 4th ed Rhino walls may work.

I agree with Ishagu on getting out half way because traditionally UM have always lived that mid range firefight lifestyle. Assuming UM stays like that I can't help but think this is where Rhinos earn their keep, steering opponents, and blocking for mid range firing squads.

A deep Guard type unit seems like a role for Dreads now. I mean movement looks insane for some assault armies after reading the Nid article. Something has to stop the bleeding in those games where you're going to find yourself engaged earlier than you want.

This is what I am liking about this edition so far, it appears more tactical with less dstar combos and Rhinos will add to that since it appears their role of 'free' ObSec crates is coming to an end!

Agreed.

I've used Rhinos in past editions to funnel Daemons into kill zones to get to my squishier troops, knowing that they need to waste turns to do so. Admitted we don't have wrecks anymore to help slow things down, but on the other hand we do have tougher Rhinos.

(Assumptions being destroyed vehicles are treated like other models which is logical since vehicles are the same in every other way)

Be interested in where we go with characters. Primaris Marines will replace our characters maybe but not before new models are released so we will definitely have some time with rules for characters as we know them.

Calgar will no longer get a bonus for 2 power fists so just what his weapons do is very interesting to me. Likely either add an additional attack or he'll just have like 5 attacks on his stat line and another special rule to simulate the power.

Also, I'm sure CP will activate much of our special benefits and we'll just get a flat +3 or something for being Ultramarines. That's not absolute but still very possible.

Regardless, it's little unit rules like "a Tactical squad numbering 5 or more models gets BOLTER DRILL" and stuff like that.

This is the great unknown but we know 10+ Genestealers get a bonus.

The Tyranid reveal kinda has me nervous, tbh.

I know the Faction Focuses are all "This faction is the greatest thing ever and you will use every model in the range now!"  I get it.  But, with the exception of vehicles, it seems like the game is getting more lethal.  There is a certain point at which that is catastrophic.  The end of the first edition of Warmachine was an example of that: You'd have actual games where two lists with crazy-stupid-first-turn-win capability were facing off and the winner was who won the die roll to go first.  I'm not suggesting that is the case here.  But Space Marines will be taking way fewer 3+ saves...and we weren't exactly rock solid to begin with. 

In my experience, games offer more tactical options when individual models have more staying power and not less.  The genestealer excerpt has me worried.  Maybe worried over nothing.  But a mid-field force without overwhelming shooting or overwhelming melee options sounds like perfect prey for many of the things we have been seeing. 

I don't think the sky is falling...but I think we are going to have to totally rethink what it means to be the sons of Guilliman.

First of all it means not complaing about strong opponent and instead give them a good dosis of codex-adherend smacking ;)

But no, it does not make me mervous. Maybe I am used to AoS and its modifiers, multiple damage per weapon and first turn charge armies, but all those infos make me giddy as a schoolgirl on

Christmas :D

Nothing wrong with Guilliman leading Primaris.

It will look pretty amazing on the tabletop!

hehe.. it might look like you're playing a different game entirely... especially if you were playing some poor bugger with 2nd edition metal marines.... wow that would look comical, wouldn't it?

Nothing wrong with Guilliman leading Primaris.

It will look pretty amazing on the tabletop!

hehe.. it might look like you're playing a different game entirely... especially if you were playing some poor bugger with 2nd edition metal marines.... wow that would look comical, wouldn't it?

Just as Stormcasts facing off against Dwarves. Tin cans for everyone :D

Having seen the new detachments, we now know the following:

- We can play a 1st company-only army. Elite kickass!

- We can play a 6th company-only army, where they're all mounted on landspeeders and bikes. Zoom zoom!

- We can play a 9th company-only army. BOMBARDMENT!!!

Yes I was thinking that about a 1st Company army. If Cataphractii Terminators get a boost from more weapons I'll do an army of them. (I'm not confident we'll ever see an expansion for them though)

The beauty of the Detachments is I can do so much with them. In fact, I envisage an art to selection now.

One of the ideas I had was the Battalion, with an additional Heavy Support choice for only -1 CP but still more than most other detachments

But I 3 HS choices too!

Besides, my way I get more CPs. You get 3 for Battleforged I believe, then +1 for the Vanguard detachment for a total of 4.

My way, I get 3 for Battleforged, +3 for a Battlion and then -1 for an additional Elites choice for a total of 5.

More importantly...... he's 360 points! I think that is fantastic.

Did you see he can still come back once? His sword still kicks butt, and on 6's it basically adds D3 immortal wounds. He retained his 3+ invuln. I really did not think he would be that juiced up for those points.

(for comparison Magnus came it at 415 I believe).

More importantly...... he's 360 points! I think that is fantastic.

Did you see he can still come back once? His sword still kicks butt, and on 6's it basically adds D3 immortal wounds. He retained his 3+ invuln. I really did not think he would be that juiced up for those points.

(for comparison Magnus came it at 415 I believe).

Right.  He's still pretty killy.  He's gonna hand out a ton of wounds.

But my comment was in direct reference to his non-combat rules.  Giving Ultramarines rerolls in a small bubble is a FAR cry from knowing the entire warlord table.  Now, we didn't see the dataslate, so he may do far more.  But, as it stands, I find it odd that a company of Guardsmen would be better led by a captain with access to orders, than by the preternatural capability of the Lord Commander...

Well the Primaris Captain is quite buffy, and I have a feeling the extent of special rules will be most likely in the Chapter Tactics. It's just a guess, but seen as how they did admit White Scars still effectively had 'Hit and Run' I'm betting Ultra is still hitting the heck out of whatever they aim at. Honestly aside from leadership, I really didn't use a ton of those command traits he had.

Archived