Jain Zar

What's people's thoughts on this one? I'm in two minds, I've found many of the eldar books awkwardly written. I didnt read the first of the Phoenix Lords, Asurmen, for this reason but I'm sorely tempted to try again with this one.

I wonder would you need to have read Asurmen, or is this a stand alone work?

Posted · Hidden by Brother Tyler, August 30, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Brother Tyler, August 30, 2017 - No reason given

Unfortunately xenos are not within the purview of the B&C, unless you're talking about a nice big book about killing them. Still waiting on that release from BL :wink:

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

• 3 months later...
Well despite my reservations and the support of my peers I bought this and it rocked. One of my highlights of my reading year to date. Great story telling from Gav. The Eldar came to life through the telling of their history. Great to read the birth of she who thirsts through the eyes of ordinary eldar.

Really disappointed that Ghost Warrior, Rise of the Ynnari is only being released as an ebook. A huge let down for eldar fiction fans. This is the first full length book in the new dispensation that deals with the eldar. To only have it in ebook form is rubbish. Particularly for me as I don't do ebooks. I find I can't focus on them like a book.

Only the ebook icon is red on the Coming Soon page. Doesn't mean jack all, however. Know what else is "ebook only" right now? Ruinstorm. Lorgar. Cadia Stands. Watchers of the Throne. Spear of Shadows. Devastation of Baal. The Last Hunt.

Meaning a bunch of books we know are getting print editions, some of them even up for preorder on Amazon already.

Just another instance of BL being bad at website maintenance.

I emailed them this morning and got a reply tonight saying it's a fault with the web site.... it will be in print. Woop woop.

Admit to some degree of nervousness over the book. Not being the biggest fan of the return of gulliman, warp rifts and the like I'm kinda crapin it over how my favourite race will be represented.

Only the ebook icon is red on the Coming Soon page. Doesn't mean jack all, however. Know what else is "ebook only" right now? Ruinstorm. Lorgar. Cadia Stands. Watchers of the Throne. Spear of Shadows. Devastation of Baal. The Last Hunt.

Meaning a bunch of books we know are getting print editions, some of them even up for preorder on Amazon already.

Just another instance of BL being bad at website maintenance.

LOL. As if it surprise you after all we have seen before.

I emailed them this morning and got a reply tonight saying it's a fault with the web site.... it will be in print. Woop woop.

Admit to some degree of nervousness over the book. Not being the biggest fan of the return of gulliman, warp rifts and the like I'm kinda crapin it over how my favourite race will be represented.

ahhh - it seems we have an aeldari devotee. 'Aeldari' - right, good old eldar was so much better ;)

I'm no Aeldari devotee! I don't even like the word. I do however love the eldar so I will read all the stuff that comes out about them to see what's happening.

I'm not really a fan of nu 40k at all, I loved the old setting but if I'm going to stay in 40k I need to keep up at least for the time being.

For what it's worth, Punishing Pete, I found the second TGS book to be a lot *better* than I feared it might be. The only egregious stuff, for me, were:

1- Yriel's stuff

2- Ynnead reverting to He after being She in Valedor.

Otherwise, it was kinda cool. Having read Gav's other Eldar stuff, I'm excited for where he'll go with the story.

For what it's worth, Punishing Pete, I found the second TGS book to be a lot *better* than I feared it might be. The only egregious stuff, for me, were:

1- Yriel's stuff

Otherwise, it was kinda cool. Having read Gav's other Eldar stuff, I'm excited for where he'll go with the story.

'2- Ynnead reverting to He after being She in Valedor.' - she/he is a transgender, lol

Like Slaanesh :whistling:

1- Yriel's stuff

I agree it was better than expected. Gav is pretty solid when it comes to Eldar so yes I'm interested as to the future direction of the race.

I want to know what Vect is thinking and feeling surely the changes present him with opportunities for power grabs or losses. Who knows we shall see.

It will all end up with the Rhanda Dandra which is essentially a special type of dancing hug where the different factions of the Eldar realise that actually, being the same species means they should probably get on sometimes because they used to be a Galactic power which was awesome and now they are a bleedin' nuisance.

It will all end up with the Rhanda Dandra which is essentially a special type of dancing hug where the different factions of the Eldar realise that actually, being the same species means they should probably get on sometimes because they used to be a Galactic power which was awesome and now they are a bleedin' nuisance.

That is awesome - thank you mate. You made my day :biggrin.:

I'm into chapter six on the audio version and wow, 

The flashbacks to Jain Zar's training and the time immediately after the fall is fantastic. I'm also loving her interactions with the dark kin, the scene in Vect's throne room was a good read.

Probably one of the best part of the novel indeed

Agree, I was stunned Gav included this period in the book. A look into a time that was putting flesh onto a legend in a magnificent way. Hopefully it won't be his last foray into Eldar history.

I would love him to do a history of the fall.

Again - it's strange how one author can do awesome WFB and interesting xenos - but blank, boring and 'naive' SM at the same time

We all have our strengths and weaknesses! There are far fewer writers who attempt let alone succeed at aliens. There's a multitude of people writing who attempt, both failing and succeeding, at boring old marines. But I think Gav rises above them for his eldar wonder works. Let's hope the new stuff doesn't destroy that hard won reputation.

I never thought about it like that but it probably is a little like an eldar Primarchs series. Distinct novels about powerful leaders within a race. I am enjoying the Primarchs but these Phoenix Lords books are little gems. One author will kind of slow the series down a little though.