Honour Guard head transplant

I've mulled over sticking this in the Ultramarines board, but I don't hang out there normally and got scared, so I'm posting this here (that, and it's probably more appropriate here).

I'm looking into lifting the head from one of the wing faced Honour Guard models for a kit bash:

99810101013_MarneusCalgarHonourGuardNEW0

Because they're solid resin/metal it'd involve sawing the head off, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has the models and can tell if this can be done cleanly? I'm particularly worried that the 'back' side of the helmet (i.e. the side you can't see from the picture) has no clearance from the torso, so taking it off will just make a mess of things that would require an age of Green Stuffing.

If it is possible, would one of the models be better than the other; the guy to the left of picture or the right?

I don't know offhand myself (I might be able to dig mine out this eve if no one else answers in the meantime). However, have you seen the captain's head from the Company Command kit (old Solaq model). Pretty much the same thing except he has the mouth grille where it is covered on the HG.

...However, have you seen the captain's head from the Company Command kit (old Solaq model)...

I knew I'd seen it somewhere other than Solaq. Thanks, man, I'm trying to source that one as well. Still after the Honour Guard head, though.

Well perfect, I just happen to have both of my Honor Guard right next to my computer...

Both have detail that blends into the back collar; if you're okay with the head orientation, you could probably remove the head and collar together to transplant (and replace the collar with one from a generic PA torso if you still wanted to use the HG body), but then you're having to work around the pauldrons to get it cleanly off - definitely not something I'd try with the metal ones.

I took one of those Honour Guard heads off for my 30k Guilliman model. It ain't too bad but it takes a bit of carving with a knife. I'd recommend going for the guy holding his axe up high, as the head doesn't interfere with th collar too much.

Not having email updates from the site at the moment, I'd missed this. Thanks so much for the input, all. I'll see if I can source some of those Invictarus Suzerain bits, otherwise I'll get a Finecast body to behead. Thanks again, guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Another place to look is the Ultramarines Upgrade Sprue - as well as the fancy pads, you get a torso with HG pteruges and a couple of suitable helmets and power swords too.

Although getting two or three such sprues is expensive for just the HG bits, you'll still get all the pads for use throughout the rest of your force as well, so it's actually quite good value overall.

Edit:

Just to be clear, using the upgrade sprue would produce models like the HG leader in the pic above, rather than the two at the back of the pic. For those helmets, I agree that the FW HH head pack is the easiest and best value way to get them.

Cast a bunch of the special plastic RG(?) captian. he has a wing face.

Otherwise, I would imagine that they will make some plastic HG eventually, considering that Gman probably rolls around with some elite bodyguards and the SM dex will more than likely be the first book released following 8th.

Archived