Alessia's Order of Our Martyred Lady

Hi and thank you for the kind words Ordomilitaris. Always nice to hear from a fellow newbie :) And thank you Dante for your swift advice!

I myself have been using tinypic.com for image hosting, but I've been having problems with it lately.

Hi everyone! I've been working hard on my Sisters, and should have lots of updates this weekend. I've nearly finished a Retributor squad, as well as 4 more sisters, which will finish all the infantry needed for my 500 point list, yay! For now though, here is my first built vehicle. I've made it so it can easily switch between Rhino and Immolator, because I'm far to indecisive :smile.: I'm very proud of it, as I find this the tricksiest part of the hobby. Even the tracks line up.

http://i64.tinypic.com/33vjn6o.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/1z21t7k.jpg

Looks good Sister Alessia, the Immolator/Rhino is a surprisingly great kit (given the rest of the Sororitas line) for modifying and using different options. I did find a bit of filing was required to make the turret parts all fit together, but I painted the turret in pieces so as to get at the interior detail easier. How did you find it?

Have fun painting, look forward to seeing the finished result. The rest of your army looks fantastic so far so I'm sure this will too.

Honestly, the metal Sisters line contains most of my favorite GW models. They aren't as flashy as a lot of the newer stuff, but I just love the look they have going on. The Simulacrum model and the metal bits of the Exorcist in particular (and old Celestine, and Kyrinov - I got him in the made to Order thing GW did last year, that's one impressive model in person)

Honestly, the metal Sisters line contains most of my favorite GW models. They aren't as flashy as a lot of the newer stuff, but I just love the look they have going on. The Simulacrum model and the metal bits of the Exorcist in particular (and old Celestine, and Kyrinov - I got him in the made to Order thing GW did last year, that's one impressive model in person)

Oh I totally agree, I meant only that the line obviously lacks plastic, multi-option models - except for the Immolator/Rhino (and Exorcist to a degree).

Agree on Kyrinov too, you and I made exactly the same purchase! My old Celestine model is my "travel Celestine" as she fits in a carry case with the rest of the army, whereas new Celestine has to have her own box. 

Can't stand the wings on the new Celestine, they just look off to me. But the Gemini look great. The only issue is I tend to avoid special characters, and the new iteration of her rules are far too warpy for me (bringing other models back to life, etc.)

I got one of the old WH Inquisitors too (the bolt pistol and power sword one)

Thanky you Alex and Dante! :smile.: I found it an absolute pain to build, especially the turret. Yes, there was much filing and scraping needed to make it fit together. I also thought the instructions were completely useless. I think there is a good portion of my skin in the chasis too lol. If I finish off my last infantry, I'm hoping to paint the vehicles up over Sunday/Monday. 

Oh I agree, there are some great metal models in the range. I've got the old Simulacrum model including the Martyred Lady banner :D I'm honestly not that interested in plastic apart from vehicles, as I love the models so much. This might just be because i'm a novitiate Sister player, and still in awe of my shiney (new to me) miniatures.

Xx

I mean, I had a year of shiny BA plastics (and those dreadnought kits are gorgeous) but I prefer the Sisters range :D anymore, I think my favorite BA models are the older character sculpts (maybe not Mephiston) like Corbulo . . . and the dreadnoughts. That furioso dreadnought kit is really cool.

Yeah, most of my vehicles have a fingerprint or 3 on them from the glue and my fingers :P I still need to strip and repaint my banner bearer (I have it painted in Glorious Reprisal colors) so I can put that Valorous Heart banner I got off ebay on it

I assembled my first Rhino in a long time recently, I forgot what it was like. For an older kit it's actually one of the better ones but it's also like riding a bike so you'll be doing Ford proud in no time :wink: Main thing with the Immo is to be careful gluing the transparent canopy so it doesn't get fogged up. I cheat and use small bits of super glue in corners :tongue.:

Oh I agree Dante, the Blood Angels Dreads are gorgeous! I was even tempted to have a Furiso as a Penitent Engine :) I love the old Tycho model, BA's definitely had the best Space Marine metal character models. Looking forward to seeing your banner bearer :) I loved you fandex by the way! Really like the Exorcist extra ammo, special characters and of course the Seraphim Hq choice ;) Really solid Dex, GW should definitely hire you for the next Sisters Dex ;)

That's so cute you have a travel Celestine Alex! Pokesaint!

Thanks for the tip WarriorFish, I will be extra careful with the canopy. I still can't quite believe how big it is compared to my old metal Immolater. Very glad I didn't have to build that :) Haven't quite finished the last Sisters tonight, boo :( Still, I will finish them tomorrow and hopefully finish the old Immo as well. Painting binge engage!

Xx

Hi all! As promised here is my finished Retributor Squad. Lead by Sister Superior Laverne Balfour. More coming soon!

http://i65.tinypic.com/sgqsmo.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/ogxtw5.jpg

Also, here is my slightly changed kill team for Shadow War Armageddon. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/2j5ju3r.jpg

Looking good, they really pop off the screen and must be super striking on the tabletop. It's nice to see the retro-Canoness too. I really want to pick one of those up for myself at some point. 

It will be great to see a the full army all drawn up when you're ready. Do you have a goal in terms of army composition you're aiming for?

Thank you for the kind words Alex! Yes I will do a full army picture, when I've finished the vehicles. I'm currently working towards this 500 point list. I also have enough miniatures to do a 750 point list, which will be my next goal.

HQ = 78
Veteran Sister Superior (Canoness) 
Eviserator
Combi Flamer
=============================
Troops = 335
8x Bss 
Storm Bolter 
-Rhino
-Storm Bolter

5x BSs 
Melta 
Melta  
-Immolater 
-Immolation Flamer
===============================
Heavy = 85
5x Retributor Sq
4 Heavy Bolters 
==================================
Grand total = 500

Finished these 4 Sisters yesterday.

http://i63.tinypic.com/4vg3h1.jpg

Looking good.  I really like them.  Glad that you are still able to paint and make it look good still.  I know all about shaky hands.  At least my hands recovered to be steady enough.  Of course I know the days where I still just drop everything as my nerves just dont fire.  

The sister line is still one of my favorites.  Even if it is starting to show its age now.

Really nice!

Which grey(s) are you using to highlight the black armour? It looks almost polished. Also, what's your recipe for the helmet lenses?

Thanks and apologies for all the questions

Totes agree with Alex. Great looking highlights on those - I find line highlights a real pain, these enhance the look of the armour. Kudos.

I'm going to steal your idea of painting in 500 pt blocks too - seems a sensible way to get things done.

Thanks Ordo, Alex and Sume! Im happy with the result and most importantly, they look great on the table. Glad to hear your hands are well enough to paint Sume. Im gradually learning how to compensate for the shakes.

Yes doing it in 500's seems to be working well for me. I'm not burned out at all, just wish I had more free time to paint :)

No need to apologise Alex, Im happy to answer :) I can to tell you my recipe for armour, as its fairly simple. The lense recipe is quite hard to put into words, so I will have to have lil think lol.

With the armour, the secret is in the brush stroke and consistency of the paint. I start with a medium watered down layer of Adeptus Battle grey. You dont want to press on very hard, as you want the black underneath to slightly show through. Just one very light stroke will get the best effect. I then do the same on the highest points and very edges of the armour, with a very light Vallejo grey. This will then give the highlight the illusion of lots of layers and thus the "polished" look. Hope that helps :) xx

Thank you bloodhound :smile.: I've played 3 games of 8th now, with everything painted but 1 vehicle. I just hope the tips make sense, I'm much better at teaching in person :smile.:

For the lenses, I'm going to call this push blending. Basically paint your lense a base colour, I went with Mephiston red. Do as many layers until its completely opaque. You then want a high light and a shade colour. I mixed Khorne red with some army painter matt black, for my shade. I picked a bright orange for the highlight, I think its Fire Dragon Orange? Now you want to really water these colours down, much more than you usually would. First apply your shade to your brush, then starting in the middle of the lense, push the paint up to the furthermost back corner of the lense. You need to start light and push heavier towards the corner. You then need to do this for the highlight again from the middle, but push towards the opposite corner. This will then give you the effect of many layers. Finally a dot of pure white in both corners.

You can use this technique for NMM too, as shown in the Deadzone model I painted below. Again its really hard to put into words, without physically showing someone in person X

http://i68.tinypic.com/25hzcpz.jpg