Nico's Praetorian Guard WIP Thread

Thanks, duz_

Yes, I think even just a layer of primer will make a world of difference. The multicoloured gift cards just aren't getting the job done at present.

I am dreading doing the magnetization. I so want to just glue the main gun on as that will be so much easier. BUT, this thing -- while fun -- has been so difficult and time consuming to convert that I don't want to make more of these than I absolutely have to. So I'd better magnetize if I want options.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks obscene...I LOVE it!

Not what I expected at all, I think you've done a great job. Magnetising isn't that bad, I've done a few sponsons on Leman Russes now. Since you'll be using superglue for the magnets they're not too difficult to remove if they end up in the wrong place, so just experiment. It's well worth the effort.

I've hit a bit of a wall because the Chimera turret doesn't fit as I thought it would. So I need to do more plasticard to make a boxy Imperium style turret and just got a bit burnt out. Have been working on some Scions which I shall post most likely tomorrow. 

Alright, here are the first two Scions, basically complete but for the basing, which I want to do in a batch because I am concerned that the Citadel Texture paint is going to lose its consistency very quickly, the way my technical paint (Typhus Corrosion) did. I want to wait to the last minute then do them all at once.

med_gallery_66537_13128_119142.jpg

med_gallery_66537_13128_49257.jpg

Parts used for these two Scions:

Cadian torsos and legs (with green stuff stripes)

Scion arms and guns

1x Scion backpack

1x Cadian comm backpack with green stuff bed roll

Cadian grenades

Curious Constructs Head (Scion on the left in the first photo)

Mad Robot head (Scion on the right)

Oops, looking at the pics I realized I forgot to paint their chin straps! I'll get that done tonight.

Also, my first shipment from Victoria Miniatures arrived yeasterday after about a 6 week wait (it takes a LOOOONG time to ship stuff from Australia to Canada!) so now I have plenty of bitz to keep me busy. I have at least enough stuff to build 20 regular Guardsmen and finish the 10-man Scion squad. Plus I received my heavy weapons stuff from Curious Constructs quite some time ago, so I am thinking my next construction will be 3x Lascannon HWT, 3x Autocannon HWT, and then as many regular/stock guardsmen as I can build with remaining bitz.

Thanks everyone, glad you like them.

I can't decide on the chin straps ... I've looked at a bunch of pictures and have seen white chin straps (Zulu), and brown/leather (Zulu dawn). Painted Praetorian Guard I can find online are about 50/50 of each and I can't find pics sufficiently zoomed-in of the Big Toof River display to know how it was done there. What do you guys think?

I would go for brown - with the trim of the uniforms and highlighting of the armour, I think they have enough white on the models already.

But really, you should go with whatever looks best.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

I'd do them white, there is no only Zulu Dawn only Zulu! :tongue.:

(Now please excuse me I must listen to Sabaton - Rorke's Drift).

Edited by Reyner

Well some of the Victoria Miniature heads have mutton chops so you'll see some soon?

And speaking of which, I've seen pics of Victoria minis painted and when the chin straps are brown they blend in too much with the facial hair so I think white chin straps it shall be!

Thanks for the support and glad you are enjoying the project so far.

This afternoon I finished kit-bashing my first basic trooper:

med_gallery_66537_13128_146504.jpg

med_gallery_66537_13128_67301.jpg

It took me a while to assemble this guy and I only got one done so far today because I had to wash all the resin I received from Victoria miniatures, plus given the amount of conversions and customization it takes planning to balance out the squads! Should go a bit quicker after this but I'll be doing a bit of cutting and shaving to put the rifles into Victoria Miniatures arms.

Bit tip of the pith helmet to Mithril for the idea of using Mechanicus Galvanic Rifles in place of lasguns. I chopped off the muzzle and put a lasgun muzzle on there to make it a bit more like a lasgun. I opted not to try replacing the power pack with a Cadian lasgun power pack because I didn't see how I could do it without unacceptable risk of wrecking the rifle.

Fine looking trooper!

I've punched the rifle idea myself but only for my Sharpe and Harper Scion conversions. Needed to give Tempestor Prime Sharpe his signature rifle. Used a Kharadon volley gun for Harper as well.

Looking forward to seeing a squad of these!

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update ... finished off the sergeant and lasgun troops for my first squad. Waiting on Victoria Miniatures plasma guns to arrive (they were accidentally omitted from my first order) and assembling a lascannon team. Here are the troops primed:

med_gallery_66537_13128_634316.jpg

(you can see them much better in the full size pic: http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13128/gallery_66537_13128_634316.jpg)

I'm looking forward to getting some paint on them!

Do you chaps think it would be worth the expense of getting the paints to do a few different flesh tones? My go to is Bugman's Glow --> Reikland Flesh shade --> Cadian Flesh --> Kislev Flesh.

I was thinking I could do a second type of Ratskin Flesh --> Reikland Flesh shade --> Bestigor Flesh --> Ungor Flesh

But I'd like a third tone ... any ideas? They're Praetorians remember so they should all be fairly British looking. GW doesn't seem to have much else to offer for flesh tones though, other than going all out with the Dark Eldar/Vampire look (which I'd consider for artillery crews who I intend to paint in naval colours).

Personally I like a bit of variety for my guard skin tones these days.

Between ulthuan grey, cadian, kislev and pallid wych + nulin and/or reikland I can get a fair few decent combinations going. Usually I just do a layer or two and then wash. I've steered away from highlighting and layering after washing due to varying degrees of sucess.