Nico's Praetorian Guard WIP Thread

• 3 months later...

After a long hiatus, here's my first "regular grunt" trooper ALMOST done. I need some help from the barracks on finishing him (see below):

med_gallery_66537_12873_106814.jpg

med_gallery_66537_12873_211348.jpg

med_gallery_66537_12873_212120.jpg

So ... on the troopers' right shoulders since most of them have larger GW/Mechanicus armour plates there, I am thinking of doing platoon/squad markings. Yes, I know platoons are technically obsolete but for fluff reasons, my army will still be organized into platoons. So what do you think is a good way to do that with these models? I was considering having coloured pauldron to indicate platoon (i.e. gold platoon, blue platoon, etc.) and a number to denote squad? What colours would look good though? Or do you have different ideas?

He looks great! Love the detail and effort you've put into him! :D :tu:

Im starting my slowly journey of getting my Mordians there too!

Although there are no rules for platoons they still exist! Id do that or squad markings. Squad markings maybe more useful to distinguish who is who when they inevitably get bunched together sharing a terrain piece on in CC.

That's Fantastic looking :wub: Awesomesauce!!!

as to the shoulder pad,perhaps a coloured stripe through the middle as a simple but effective marking... you could even do a colour inside of that stripe to show squad designation ...

i.e. 1st platoon has a blue stripe, 1st squad of 1st platoon has a gold strip down the middle of the blue stripe, 2nd squad has a red stripe down the middle of the blue stripe etc etc...

This is going to be one beautiful army when its done !!

cheers, Mithril

p.s. you could make the rifles shorter if you wanted to vary it ,see below

gallery_9146_6928_2088.jpg

Just to switch gears slightly from painting and whatnot ... I've been thinking about what doctrine to use. It seems to me that Mordian is the "obvious" choice, but I've been thinking a lot about Vostroyan instead. Seems to me that Vostroya, being a hive world, is equally fitting, and especially with those baroque Mechanicus lasguns I'm giving these guys, the heirloom weapons would seem quite appropriate. Also, the Warhammer Community description of Vostroyans would fit Praetorians to a tee: "Armed with ornate weapons and wargear that hearken back to ancient eras of warfare, the Vostroyans are obsessed with duty and lineage."

It also "feels" like the Vostroyan doctrine would work very well for what I have in mind, that being more of a shooty army. Although Mordian does work quite well also ... but my #1 opponent is Eldar so I don't get assaulted much and I like Commissar models and they feel less justified with the +1 LD.

I don't have a codex yet and I keep forgetting what the Mordian Stratagem is. The Vostroyan +1 BS is pretty solid if used on the right units though. Both regiments' special order is kind of "meh" to me. Not sure how much I'll use either ... I guess the ability to snipe out characters could be quite useful though moreso than shooting within 1" given the fact I don't expect to be in close combat against my usual opponent too much. But I would like to choose a regimental doctrine and stick with it and design the army around it. So your thoughts are much appreciated.

This is just me but I believe designing around a doctrine is a bad idea. An example, I play catachan and I use a punisher. I get told that's a waste of points because my doctrine doesn't help it. Then said punisher delete a squad. I shrug and say good thing I'm not OP. I've seen people fall into the trap of thinking everything in the army must be able to utilize the doctrine or it's a waste. I would rather have the doctrine be a boost to my my army not define it. All in all you could try both doctrines and you may find neither suit your play style so then you could try another one.

But the good thing about the Vostroyan doctrine is that it's passive, requiring no conditions be met, and works with almost every weapon in the arsenal. 

Here's the Mordian doctrine btw

jOoTXPa.jpg

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

With a custom regiment the field is open to what doctrine will suit their background best, sounds like you're in a similar situation to me in that there's a couple that I'm not sure on being the best fit. Might be worth giving them both a few goes and seeing how they feel?

I can't not use the Mordian one since you need to have your Infantry in ranks. I know I could use another Regiment and still just run my Infantry in Ranks but... It's just not the same.

I like the +1 LD for fluff reasons, even if it is somewhat useless gamewise. It fits the traditional British Stoicism to a tee, and Praetorians are just space British. I can just imagine an Infantryman getting turned inside out or eaten by some horrific monster only for the Sargent to say "Alright, nobody told you to stop shooting. And do your tunic up Perkins!"

Gamewise the Doctrine and "defensive gunners" stratagem are murderous on LRBT's. No-one wants to charge a Punisher when it's hitting on a 4+ but everyone wants to charge LRBT's to stop them shooting. Gives your opponent a dilemma.

And the order is great, on occasion. It gives my Plasma Vets a real purpose and I might even start giving a model a  trophy for every character they kill. An Eldar or Nurgle head attached to a belt, or trophies lashed to their transport.

Yeah fighting in ranks seems very fitting for Praetorians, when it boils down to it they are Mordians with a way better head :P and now that template weapons aren't a thing anymore having them in ranks isn't as suicidal!

@Nat - I definitely understand what you're saying. What is the Mordian strategum and heirloom?

@Atia - thanks! I'm not doing any females though. I'm just old school that way, original Praetorians were all men as were the guys at Rorke's Drift and Islawhanda.

@Nat - I definitely understand what you're saying. What is the Mordian strategum and heirloom?

Mordian Stratagem: Volley Fire 1CP.  Infantry, Lets you fire any weapon again, for each to hit roll of a 6+.  Not just one more roll, shoot the whole weapon again...3 more Hvy Bolter rounds for each 6+, d6 Mortar for each 6+, 2 Rapid fire Plasma (4 if you rolled Box cars) 

Combined with Take Aim order this is VERY nice.

Mordian Heirloom: Iron Star...gives a 4+ FNP

Edited by RangerRob24