2017 - A Tale of Hobbyists - Sign-up

Hello Everyone, and Welcome to 2017's Tale of Hobbyists!

This thread is to explain this year's version of the Tale and its specific rules. And to answer any questions pertaining to the Tale, to give people a place to sign up for the Tale.

+++

What is the Tale of Hobbyists?

Back in 1998, the white dwarf, put together a series that documented the efforts of four gamers in building a fantasy army from scratch over the course of 5 months. This has been co-opted by the community and on this forum the challenge is simply to get a group of people together and spend a few months building up their armies together, and of course having fun while doing so!

So tell Me about this Event?

This event is to celebrate the start of 8th edition as it drops this summer, and follow the stories of a group of hobbyists as we explore the new game. In the spirit of 8th edition, there isn’t a points “buy-In”, or a minimum completion amount per month.  Each month participants will commit to completing part of a project.

Now, again unlike part events, there is not a maximum number of participants.  BUT participates WILL be kicked from the challenge for non-completion. (Note: the plan is there to build a cadre of dedicated hobbyists creating a great content)

To be clear the Challenge is open to hobbyists of all levels. Everyone will hopefully improve their painting over the course of the challenge through friendly tips, constructive criticism and home-made tutorials created by other participants.

But this event isn’t just about painting, I hope throughout the next 7 months to encourage conversions, scenery construction and maybe even a bit of creative writing, to encourage this I will award achievements.   

In my mind the event isn't about starting a new army, it's about getting your existing army's ready for the new edition, and the inevitable work that will be done once we have actually got the edition in our hands.  As mentioned above the plan will be that each month I will try and encourage a diffrent parts of the hobby with bonus rounds: First month will be about finishing up some unfinished work, working on scenery, objectives and stuff. At this point it's about trying to find the motivation to carry on with painting, as we wait for the new edition to drop. 

So how do I sign up?

Simple, bellow Declare your Participation on this thread and outline your Project! I don’t need an army list, I don’t need to know what codex you are working from just I want your vision.  These Projects do not have to be 40k related. There is space for 30K, Shadow War, Even Inq28 although these are not the focus of the event and may not be able to achieve all achievements.

If you are unsure what to put look at my post.

When does the Event Start/ When does it end? 

I will be posting up the Project thread at the start of June with the official start date being the 17th of June. And the event will run to the end of the year. Projects can be changed in this first month, and the first months challenge will focus on finishing up uncompleted models. 

Finally, A big thank you to The Psycho, Dosjetka and Kurama for running this event in past years. The rules and format and experiences of these events were invaluable organizing this year's Tale.

+++

Participants

200Plus- relief of Fallujat II
Ancient Helveticus- Harrowing of Trajan Prime
angel robertson - Nurgle!
Augustus b'Raass - Nurgle Death Guard
binary - 4th company Howling Griffons. 
BlueBelly1863 - Imperial Guard, to be joined by Primaris Space Marines
Bmseifer - Ultramarines
Brother Arkley - Hunt for the Occulus
Brother Captain Firelupus - Dorn's Wolves
Brother Chaplain Kage-  Astral Claws,
Brother Mayhem - Black Legion and Death Guard
Celestial Guardian - Taking of Cyrene
Daemonifugue - An Alpha Legion cell 
dantay_xv -Space Wolves (assault on Prospero)
Erasmus Tycho - Blood Angels 3rd Company the 'Ironhelms
Ferrus Manus - Lions Eternal III Company
FirstSonofHorus -  Captain Calvatus's Ultramarines Primaris 
fisheyedbunny, - Primaris Howling Griffons
foamy248, - Black Legion warband
Ghostbear_100 - IVth legion 314th Task Force
gianlucafiorentini123 - Chaos V Pirmais Marines 
GKTerminator - Salamander's 1st Company and support elements
Glomshark,- Iron Warriors V Imperial Fists 
Grandmaster damion - Deathwatch Kill Teams
Grieux- Vlka Fenryka, led by Bulveye
Grotsmasha - Art Scale HH: Dark Angels
hermanista - Ultramarines
Iron Bars - sepuloran reactor guard
Jaxom - Astra Militarum reinforced by Primaris Astartes
Jüffös - Legio Tertia Decima Cohors Thalassana (13th Legion Cohort/Chapter of Talassar)
Kennyjapan - Sons of Jaghata/Knights of Blood/ Disciples of Caliban
Kurama -  Xth Legiones Astrates
Larkyn - Crusade of Vengeance (710th Cadian Mechanized, 2nd Company of the Genesis Chapter) 
Lemainus - Dark Angels successor, the Iron Lions, and the malevolent forces of Malal
Lexington - Word Bearers force, the Sicarii 
lionofjudah-  Iron Warriors V Imperial Fists
Lord Commander Eidolon,-  Emperor's Children force, a kind of Pride of the Legion force (Solomon Demeters 2nd Company!)
mandaloriano - Khone Invasion of the  Invasion of Leporis System
Marqol- Iron Warriors
MindOfMetal - Marine Malevolents
Morovir, - Zone Mortalis force of the Iron Hands Clan Felg
MrBadweed -  warband of the Black Legion led by Ekron Fal
MrKeef - Nurgle Infestation of the Planet Corelia
Rangaman - Fulgrim and his Phoenix Guard
Rashbold -  "The Legio Bolter and Chainsword"
Rustam - Battle for Macragge (Ultramar Auxilia 60th Armoured Cohort, Plus Ultramarines 3rd company)
Sagentus -Cadia Urmak and his blood crazed cohort
Scared to death - Shadow Crusade-era Word Bearers
Skidman - pre heresy iron warriors
snazzyninja- death guard
ST.Lazarus - Black Templar crusade to liberate the ork occupied Cardinal world of Lazarus
SW1 - scummy under belly of an Imperial Hive
the Psycho - VII Legion - 52nd Company//Raid Battlegroup, cross-ref. Siege of Terra
Togusa-san - Alpha Legion
TrawlingCleaner- The 5th company of the Sanguine Knights,
Trixie- pre-heresy Alpha Legion
Trokair- The Defense of the Elysium Forgeworld
Umbros, - Primaris Howling Griffons and also some scenery.
Uveron – “The Siege of Carinus #3”
waaaaghlord - Carcharodons
Wiqid- Flesh Tearers
Wulfric - Chapter CLIII, Legio XIII, the 153rd chapter of the Ultramarine Legion
Zujara - Adeptus Mechanicus from Ryza and Imperial Knights from House Cadmus
FlamingWalnut- Phoenix Wardens and their crusade of retribution
Wiffinberg-The Angles Blade
Khalic-  Murderous Ignorance
ogres_lair -  necrons
Chaplain Dosjetka - Zone Mortalis Imperial Fists
FlakMonkey - Salamander army

+++ 

My Personal Vow (And Example)

I Uveron, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is the Siege of Carinus #3.

“Carinus #3 is a Mining world that has risen up in Chaos Led Insurrection. The Imperials have sent a force of the Emperors Harbingers to bring the world back into the Imperium, but find a world being fortified by the Iron Warriors, Led by the Warsmith Uveron" 

++

A few years back, I was a painting force to be reckoned with, these days? Not so much. There's a few contributing factors, but I hope that the Tale can give me a kick start.

I, Grotsmasha, pledge my Art Scale HH: Dark Angels to the Tale of 2017. My goal is a meagre single model painted and based each month, with a stretch goal of a second model each month. I've got 15 ready to go, with another 10 to build. The plan for the Tale is 1x 10 man Despoiler Squad, and 1x 5 man Volkite Support squad.

Well well, this is exactly what I need! With the 8th edition lurking around the corner I am eager to start a new army. And with the ETL not happening this year I would be more than happy with participating in this event.

I, Brother Bmseifer, commit to the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyist. My project will be to start recruiting the venerable brothers from the 13th legion.

Question time ...

I would like a shot at redemption but my hobby mojo is firmly directed at competing a complete board. That's baseboard and terrain to go on top.

Currently at the planning stages and working out what to buy, what to scratch build and what to cast.

I Brother Arkley, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is the Hunt for the Occulus. (The Blades of Alaric ongoing hunt to kill the thrice cursed Occulus - Damned High Sorcerer of Tzeentch)

My goal is a 1 Squad a month (Bikes, Terminators or Battle Company Marines, the odd Character here and there.) 

A few years back, I was a painting force to be reckoned with, these days? Not so much. There's a few contributing factors, but I hope that the Tale can give me a kick start.

I, Grotsmasha, pledge my Art Scale HH: Dark Angels to the Tale of 2017. My goal is a meagre single model painted and based each month, with a stretch goal of a second model each month. I've got 15 ready to go, with another 10 to build. The plan for the Tale is 1x 10 man Despoiler Squad, and 1x 5 man Volkite Support squad.

Sounds Good. Glad to have you onboard. 

I, Brother Bmseifer, commit to the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyist. My project will be to start recruiting the venerable brothers from the 13th legion.

Will be Good to have the 13th with us! 

Ultramarines 2nd company plus attachments. 

I will have a demi company up and running

And again more of the 13th! Looking forward to see the company! 

I, Larkyn, hereby commit to the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project is the Crusade of Vengeance, a mix of all Imperial Forces, versus the Archenemy.

Larkyn, I don't want to be too restrictive on the project's scope. To allow for some "hobby butterflying", but could you be a little more descriptive with the Crusade of Vengeance? is your project just the Imperial Forces (who is the primary force). will any of the project be the archenemy and if so what aspects will you be covering. 

Question time ...

I would like a shot at redemption but my hobby mojo is firmly directed at competing a complete board. That's baseboard and terrain to go on top.

Currently at the planning stages and working out what to buy, what to scratch build and what to cast.

Yes, this is fine. Describe the Board as the project. Kinda Like I am doing with mine, just dream up some fluff about it. Outline who is fighting, and then spend the time building the battlefield. Iam totally ok with someone entering this and only posting up Scenery, it's an important part of our hobby and many of our painting competitions don't focus on it.  

I Brother Arkley, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is the Hunt for the Occulus. (The Blades of Alaric ongoing hunt to kill the thrice cursed Occulus - Damned High Sorcerer of Tzeentch)

My goal is a 1 Squad a month (Bikes, Terminators or Battle Company Marines, the odd Character here and there.) 

Welcome on to the team! 

Cool beans!

I, Augustus b'Raass, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project will most likely be a Nurgle Death Guard force, but to cite a certain prophet's (born on 000M00) last words: "don't pin me down on it". 

Since the announcement of 8th I've been thinking of a new "big project", and as I don't yet have a standard loyalist marine force I, Binary, being of sound body and dubious mind do pledge to join the Bolter and Chainsword tale of hobbyists 2017.

And when I say dubious mind.....all LED (a la Bob Hunk's IF) 4th company Howling Griffons.

Yes. That's right. The ENTIRE 4th company.

I SW1 will pledge to take part in the 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. I will build a table representing the scummy under belly of an Imperial Hive, the name of which has yet to be determined.

Of course! The primary factions of my Crusade force is my 710th Cadian Mechanized, 2nd Company of the Genesis Chapter, and the primary antagonists are Alpha Legion and an as-of-yet unnamed Khorne Marine warband.

I am keen on this to get something ready for 8th which could also span a few other systems. So I am thinking death guard with daemons. Mainly daemons.

I Angel Rrbertson , Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is Nurgle!

I'll join in so I can get motivated to finish my Alpha Legion forces. I currently have both HH box sets plus 10 Mk IV assault, 5 Mk IV recon, 5x Laernan cataphractii, 1x contemptor with assault cannon, Armillus Dynat, Autilon Skor, Exodus, saboteur, and Alpharius & Omegron ton crank out. The box sets I am thinking of kitting out as 20x Mk III tactical, 10x Mk III heavy with volkite caliverns, 5x Mk IV heavy with heavy flamers, 10x Mk IV support magnetized for volkite caliver/flamer/plasma/melta, 10x Mk IV tactical, 6x Mk IV heavy with heavy bolter, 5x cataphractii fist/bolter, and 5x tartaros with paired lightning claw (sgt power sword & volkite charger). Oh, and a knight titan magnetized for all configurations.

My plan is a 30K/40K loyal/traitor all purpose army that I can use for whatever just changing around a couple squads.

I Celestial Guardian, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project will be the Clensing of Cyrene, consisting of my DIY chapter the Knights of Lydda along with a 30 man Astral Knights battle group for support.

I, Lexington, Patron Saint of Perpetual Procrastination and Half-Assed Abandoned B&C Project Threads, pledge to finally get some real traction on my Word Bearers force, the Sicarii - an enormous, sprawling mass of Blanche-inspired Chaotic savagery and barbarism. I pledge this vow of effort upon the pain of death, or at least Brother-Chaplain Kage's irritation, which is pretty much the same thing. God help us all.

I, GKTerminator, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, my project will be to complete my Salamander's 1st Company and support elements. (to include random Space marine models!)

I have so many unpainted miniatures, and even a slew of unbuilt things. Hopefully this will get me going to finally finish this up!

After ... well, there's no other way to put it but absolutely dismal performance with the last challenge, I feel it is my duty to redeem myself with this one. Hopefully I don't fail out or suffer total existence failure (like last time) with this one.

I do have a couple forces in mind, but I'll have to order some things before I know for certain that I'll be able to participate. Is that all right if I hold off declaring the specifics of things until we get closer to the date, Uveron?

I do have a couple forces in mind, but I'll have to order some things before I know for certain that I'll be able to participate. Is that all right if I hold off declaring the specifics of things until we get closer to the date, Uveron?

Absolutely! I havent a firm grip on when the date for last entry is yet. As it will be based on the release of 8th edd, so we have flexablity. Same goes for anyone who wants to change their mind on the projects. 

I, GKTerminator, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, my project will be to complete my Salamander's 1st Company and support elements. (to include random Space marine models!)

Welcome to the Tale. 

I, Lexington, Patron Saint of Perpetual Procrastination and Half-Assed Abandoned B&C Project Threads, pledge to finally get some real traction on my Word Bearers force, the Sicarii - an enormous, sprawling mass of Blanche-inspired Chaotic savagery and barbarism. I pledge this vow of effort upon the pain of death, or at least Brother-Chaplain Kage's irritation, which is pretty much the same thing. God help us all.

Welcome! Lets hope you can find a new Patron Saint! 

I Celestial Guardian, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project will be the Taking of Cyrene, consisting of my DIY chapter the Knights of Lydda along with a 30 man Astral Knights battle group for support.

Sounds like a great project! 

I'll join in so I can get motivated to finish my Alpha Legion forces. 

My plan is a 30K/40K loyal/traitor all purpose army that I can use for whatever just changing around a couple squads.

Sounds Great I will put you down for an Alpha Legion collection then! 

I would love to be part of the Tale once more, I pledge 2500 points of Emperor's Children!

Well Back Brother. Dont worry about Points... 8th Edd will change things. 

I've been hoarding Mk V and vented jump torsos for my own take on Carcharodons and a July start should work well for assembling other bits and pieces. There may be a few bits and pieces of other Badab chapters along the way as well.

So  a Badab war themed Project?

I am keen on this to get something ready for 8th which could also span a few other systems. So I am thinking death guard with daemons. Mainly daemons.

I Angel Rrbertson , Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is Nurgle!

I am sure Grandfather Nurgle will be Delighted! 

Of course! The primary factions of my Crusade force is my 710th Cadian Mechanized, 2nd Company of the Genesis Chapter, and the primary antagonists are Alpha Legion and an as-of-yet unnamed Khorne Marine warband.

That sounds Like a cool project. Plenty of Tanks! 

I SW1 will pledge to take part in the 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. I will build a table representing the scummy under belly of an Imperial Hive, the name of which has yet to be determined.

I love the sound of that. 

Since the announcement of 8th I've been thinking of a new "big project", and as I don't yet have a standard loyalist marine force I, Binary, being of sound body and dubious mind do pledge to join the Bolter and Chainsword tale of hobbyists 2017.

And when I say dubious mind.....all LED (a la Bob Hunk's IF) 4th company Howling Griffons.

Yes. That's right. The ENTIRE 4th company.

A big aim, but you have 7 months so that's only a squad every few weeks.. so doable. Not sure if its saine. But Do able. 

I, Mr Keef pledge to take part in the Bolter and Chainsword Tale of Hobbyists 2017. 

I will be serving papa Nurgle as best I can, and spreading his taint across the planet of Corelia.

Another following the plague ridden path! Wellcome

Cool beans!

I, Augustus b'Raass, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project will most likely be a Nurgle Death Guard force, but to cite a certain prophet's (born on 000M00) last words: "don't pin me down on it". 

Wellcome Augustus, Looking forward to seeing your Death Guard! 

Ok, so after years of just sitting and looking at everyone's projects and their amazing painting skills. I think that this would be the best opportunity to finally stop making excuses and start/finish my army. So...

I, Erasmus Tycho, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, I pledge to have my entire Blood Angels 3rd Company the 'Ironhelms' armed and ready. We shall stand hardened and unwavering against the vile Green Horde and the Dark Menace that threatens our planet.

I think not having a specific armylist to work to is a much better approach for this Tale, gives a bit of freedom to do all sorts of productive things. In that case I will most likely still focus on Fulgrim and his Phoenix Guard but I will probably be working on some Sons of Horus infantry and Rapiers for Centurion mode too.

Alrighty Uveron!! Thanks for gathering the forces as I've yet to put in a pic of my completed Tale of 20 works. I've been swamped with RL and just sat this eve and started working on 10 man mkv for my VIIth and I'm in discussions to get 2 more vindis and 3 preds for my iron IVth.

So I Lionofjudah pledge a 10 man unit of dudes for the Fists and a 10 man unit for the Iron Warriors.

I'll add more as I'm able:)

Archived