2017 - A Tale of Hobbyists - Sign-up

I, Trixie, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists.

Having recently returned to the hobby after an Inquisition mission into the Eye of Terror that began in the last millennium, I feel that an oath sworn before other battle brothers will keep me on the true path and cleanse my soul of any impurities that I may have brought back from the dark places.

Under your watchful gaze my pre-heresy Alpha Legion will expand from WIP plastics into a fully completed and battle hardened force.

I, Ancient Helveticus, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists.  My project will be the Harrowing of Trajan Prime.

Trajan Prime is one of the Worlds of Ultramar that once housed a collection of aprocrypha collected during the Great Crusade.  A warband of the Order of Hermetic Blades has come seeking lost knowledge.  My primary focus will be on resurrecting my Thousand Sons with the new rubrics, daemons, tzaangors, and cultists. A few Ultramarine defenders may get added if I figure out how to paint a deep blue color I like.  

May my wife be understanding and merciful of this oath pledge. I've now committed to start and paint two new armies with the launch of 8th, the other one being xenos

I Lemainus, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists.

My project is the Rise of Malice - an ongoing battle I've been working on between my loyalist Dark Angels successor, the Iron Lions, and the malevolent forces of Malal.

I don't have an army list, I paint and model because I like to tell stories. So. I pledge to finish at least a few kitbashed models a month, one sweet diorama, and a bunch of short stories. With (hopefully) few grammatical errors and a somewhat compelling arc. 

I've always watched these threads with great interest... and now I'm gonna participate in one!

Welcome to the Tale. I love the fact you mentioned a Diorama, it's something I want to try and do as well. That and objective markers and maybe wound counters.  

I, Trixie, Commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists.

Under your watchful gaze my pre-heresy Alpha Legion will expand from WIP plastics into a fully completed and battle hardened force.

Welcome to the Tale! Good Luck returning to the hobby and I am sure many helpful frater will well.. help and give advice when needed. 

I, Ancient Helveticus, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists.  My project will be the Harrowing of Trajan Prime.

May my wife be understanding and merciful of this oath pledge. I've now committed to start and paint two new armies with the launch of 8th, the other one being xenos

Welcome to the Tale, and I also hope you have a merciful wife =) 

This is getting some momentum. :)

I'm liking the mention of a diorama creaping into the challenge. :tu:

Is there any more interested in doing some terrain or dioramas as part of the challenge?

I, Trokair, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is to marshal my Taghmata for the glory of the Omnissiah in all millennia.

I have been slowly buying Mechanicum units over the last few years as Forgworld has been releasing them. The time has come to finally forge an army out of them.  While I know that there are 30k players out there all the people I play against regularly are 40k, so my hope is that on the heels of 8th the long awaited rules for fielding the Taghmata in 40k will arrive.

Here is a picture of what I have so far: 

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13153/gallery_29932_13153_86520.jpg

This is getting some momentum. :smile.:

I'm liking the mention of a diorama creaping into the challenge. :thumbsup:

Is there any more interested in doing some terrain or dioramas as part of the challenge?

SW1,  I can almost Guarantee that there will be some Terrain related Challenges/Achievements in the actual rules for the event.

I am currently trying to decide between Monthly Challenges, or a set number of 'Achievements' awards which can be  unlocked anytime in the tale. 

I vote for Achievements anytime within the challenge, please. My schedule can shift from 0 to 100 real quick, so being able to focus up when it's convenient and not miss anything would be nice.

I definitely second Lemainus' words. With work and a boy's youth group to run, time becomes all or nothing for me. Being able to hit an extra challenge when time is on my side would be awesome!

These little gems might even be the extra kick in the pants some of us need to keep trudging on instead of giving up at some point in the Tale. Let's be honest, if you could butterfly to an extra challenge that counts for you, you're more apt to stay involved in the whole tale and keep your vows. Sometimes that little side project is your friend.

I, Trokair, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists, My Project is to marshal my Taghmata for the glory of the Omnissiah in all millennia.

Welcome to the Tale! 

I vote for Achievements anytime within the challenge, please. My schedule can shift from 0 to 100 real quick, so being able to focus up when it's convenient and not miss anything would be nice.

I definitely second Lemainus' words. With work and a boy's youth group to run, time becomes all or nothing for me. Being able to hit an extra challenge when time is on my side would be awesome!

These little gems might even be the extra kick in the pants some of us need to keep trudging on instead of giving up at some point in the Tale. Let's be honest, if you could butterfly to an extra challenge that counts for you, you're more apt to stay involved in the whole tale and keep your vows. Sometimes that little side project is your friend.

Thanks for the Input!  Iam debating the format exactly. My issue with achievements is that I will need to make them all up now and not as the event plods along. 

Why not both? A number of achievements over the course of the event and periodic 1-2 month challenges would give options for those who know they have schedule challenges. Or, you could introduce a new achievement challenge each month and just have it where people don't have a time limit. Saves you from having to make everything up at the start but also accommodates variable schedules.

Do whatever works best for you though. It will be some work to organize and manage this. The participants will adapt. It might be less than ideal if people don't have time for each challenge if you want to do monthly timeframes. Such is life!

I think introducing a new achievement each month without a time limit would be good. I'm thinking something akin to:

It's now month four. You have compleyed your vow for the month. There are still two weeks left. Hey! There are four extra projects that were dropped and I have the time and supplies for month three's on hand! Time to knock this out if the park!

They could accumulate over the course of the Tale, allowing anyone to hop onto one once it has been issued.

Structuring them each month would allow you time to figure out what achievement would best suit the Tale at that moment and time to relax a bit before trying to rush to the next block.

In the end, it's your decision. Just putting an idea out there...

Why not both? 

They could accumulate over the course of the Tale, allowing anyone to hop onto one once it has been issued.

Yes, I think this will be the plan. Going to start with a number on list and then add additional ones as the event moves forward. 

I, Burias, pledge to get Units from my various marine armies painted up for the Tale of 2017.I want to have painted armies for all my favourite Armies. SW, BA, DA, IW and of course UM.

Do you have a central theme to the collection? 

I, Zujara, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project is Adeptus Mechanicus from Ryza with a detachment of Imperial Knights from House Cadmus

I, Wulfric, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My Project is Company CLIII, Legio XIII, the 153rd company, 15th chapter of the Ultramarine Legion as it emerges from the horrors of Calth.

To be led by Brother Captain Orinoco, as a self contained force of infantry, vehicles and support.

Uveron, looks like 8th will hit a month before your start date, was that deliberate? ;)

Should give us all a chance to start to get our heads around the new edition before we start.

Though on second thoughts, would it be terribly inconvenient for yourself and fellow participants if we start with the release of 8th?

I, Morovir, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project will be to build a Zone Mortalis force of the Iron Hands Clan Felg.

Welcome to the Tale, look forward to seeing your Iron Hands, 

I, Zujara, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project is Adeptus Mechanicus from Ryza with a detachment of Imperial Knights from House Cadmus

Welcome to the Tale. Good to see more of the Machine Gods acolytes joining us. 

I, Brother Chaplain Kage, commit to the 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My project will be the Astral Claws, most likely near the end of the Badab War. I want to make custom versions of some of the known characters and create a few new ones of my own.

Looking forward to seeing some of the Tyrants own! 

I, Wulfric, commit to participate in the Bolter and Chainsword 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. My Project is Chapter CLIII, Legio XIII, the 153rd chapter of the Ultramarine Legion as it emerges from the horrors of Calth.

To be led by Brother Captain Orinoco, as a self contained force of infantry, vehicles and support.

Sounds like a thematic army. 

Uveron, looks like 8th will hit a month before your start date, was that deliberate? :wink:

Should give us all a chance to start to get our heads around the new edition before we start.

Though on second thoughts, would it be terribly inconvenient for yourself and fellow participants if we start with the release of 8th?

Yes, I have changed the date, it was a typo. I was aiming for June. And I had planned to adjust it to line up with the release of 8th. I have edited the post to reflect this. 

The Initial post talked about next month and then in one of my edits I made the mistake and put july down. The Aim was to start at the release of 8th, now the project thread will go live on the 1st and people can start making vows at this point. I know I will be starting by painting some buildings for my display table. 

I, MindOfMetal, commit to the 2017 Tale of Hobbyists. I will be completing roughly a demi companies worth of Marine Malevolents led by this handsome chap.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13168/gallery_80005_13168_37854.jpg

Archived