Command Squad: How many special weapons?

Back to 7th edition for a moment, my brothers.

A Command Squad is listed as having 3 veterans, 1 champion and 1 sanguinary initiate.

It later says that any veteran can choose a weapon from the melee, ranged or special weapons lists.

So: do the champion and/or initiate count as being veterans for the purpose of determining who can select a melee, ranged or special weapon?

Posted · Hidden by Jolemai, May 15, 2017 - Unnecessary
Hidden by Jolemai, May 15, 2017 - Unnecessary

Veterans are Veterans. The Champion is a Champion. The Initiate is a Initiate. I thought the wording was pretty clear. :D

Indeed, indeed. But the situation may change in 8th! It's likely all Codex Space Marines will all share the same Command Squad unit. As to what that will look like, we can only offer wildly incoherent speculation

Truedat.

Although my primary gaming buddy and I do NOT like the looks of where 8th edition is heading, so we may very well freeze frame and just continue along in curmudgeony perpetuity with 7th edition.

I have played against people who put plasma or grav in a Command Squad with beatstick characters attached and watched them all struggle with the decision to shoot or charge.

Magnets or no, you still have to make a choice for the match.

I'm going to be magnetising between melta guns or lightning claws. Storm shield in the other hand.

I put a complete stop on all things grey when 8th was released, fundamental changes need be taken in before decisions are made on equipment.

Unless you're just saying 'nope' and staying firmly planted in 7th. I'm curious to see what support there will be on forums as 8th is released and develops for the current edition.

Ok follow up question to this.

Am I correct that i can give 3 of the 5 dudes in a Command Squad:

- a storm shield

- a plasma, grav or melta gun

- a lightning claw?

...and that they benefit from all 3?

I realize this would be a crazy stupid point sink, but I'm tempted to do it for the lulz :-)

Ok follow up question to this.

Am I correct that i can give 3 of the 5 dudes in a Command Squad:

- a storm shield

- a plasma, grav or melta gun

- a lightning claw?

...and that they benefit from all 3?

I realize this would be a crazy stupid point sink, but I'm tempted to do it for the lulz :-)

you are correct. they can have all three, though kit bashing them is going to be a bit of a pain. I would suggest combat shields from the ASM box.

As far as 7th is concerned I think the BA CS has a pretty good/durable loadout for 100 pts.. stick some special weapons / SSs in a drop pod and they can be pretty annoying..

I wouldn't object to the champ losing the combat shield though (I just think they're ugly)..

Combi-weapons + chainswords are now the best option in my mind. Option for double the amount of shots and 3 attacks per model, bar the champion. It seems like it is going to be really strong for a 5 man squad that gives benefits to your HQs.

Archived